Hall effect sensor Question

GOOD MORNING GENTLEMEN

I am working on using a couple of AH3503 Hall Sensors to convert a Suncom F-15 Throttle quardant.

I understand "How" they work...But I dont understand "How" they work...

"Something" is moved in front of the Hall Sensor to cause a change. That I get...But I'm fuzzy on what that something is.

Do I move a piece of metal in front of the sensor to cause a change?

Or do I move a magnet in front of the sensor to cause the change?

Thanks in advance

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

You need a Neodymium magnet turning/moving with joystick gimbal axes movement as reference for the sensor.

The DIY consensus is that the "best" format (for an turning axis gimbal)* is a diametrically magnetized magnet ring. But a cube or cylinder work well too.

NVE_TMR_New.jpg

https://magneticsmag.com/diametrically-magnetized-magnetstech-briefing-diametrically-magnetized-magnets-perfect-for-magnetic-angle-rotation-sensing-by-daniel-a-baker-nve-corporation/

* Original Suncon gimbal is not "turning" neither "sliding", but oscillating, what complicate install sensors, being more easy use a new gimbal (e.g. Object 77-B 3D printed).

Edited by Sokol1_br

You need a Neodymium magnet turning/moving with joystick gimbal axes movement as reference for the sensor.

* Original Suncon gimbal is not "turning" neither "sliding", but oscillating, what complicate install sensors, being more easy use a new gimbal (e.g. Object 77-B 3D printed).

Thank you Sokol! That is exactly what I needed to know.

I am using the actual pivot / attachment point of the throttle...Not the original sliding mechanism. All the slider will be is movement dampening.

I’ll post pics as I go.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

If what I have in mind works it’ll be less than $10 For the parts not including a Leo Bodnar board to run everything.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Id recommend an Arduino Pro Micro from ebay and installing MMJoy2. Cheaper and much more versatile than the Bodnar board. :)

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Id recommend an Arduino Pro Micro from ebay and installing MMJoy2. Cheaper and much more versatile than the Bodnar board. :)

I second what rel4y says Sierra. The sooner you learn the very basics of this board and the IDE, it opens up a whole world of fun, simple, and inexpensive possibilities.

Hey rel4y, Awesome work on your Cougar hall conversions. I did a more complicated, and probably less effective one many years back and sent out a lot of them. Everyone's response, and this great community was kind of what got me started on this stuff for life part II.

Miles

Edit: And as I recall Sokol1 was guiding me in the right direction way back then.

Edited by MilesD

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/03/10

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Hey rel4y, Awesome work on your Cougar hall conversions. I did a more complicated, and probably less effective one many years back and sent out a lot of them. Everyone's response, and this great community was kind of what got me started on this stuff for life part II.

Miles

Edit: And as I recall Sokol1 was guiding me in the right direction way back then.

Thanks for the kind words Miles! I have found your Cougar thread and I am also following your new work, but dont have VR yet. Keep it up, you are doing an amazing job!

Sokol got me hooked as well, he really is the flightsim DIY community Dad and a walking encyclopedia. :smilewink:

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Wow, that Cougar stuff seemed a lifetime ago. Sokol is truly "the gentlemen of the internet", freely sharing his seemingly endless wealth of information just to help us all out.

Thanks Sokol !!!

Edited by MilesD

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/03/10

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

Original Suncon gimbal is not "turning" neither "sliding", but oscillating, what complicate install sensors, being more easy use a new gimbal (e.g. Object 77-B 3D printed).

Hey Sokol...what's object 77-B?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Object 77-B is DIY 3D Printed gimbal, with 2 CAM lever per axis and bearings in pivots, designed by ROS-Karavan.

People have assembled this gimbal as replacement for Cobra M-5, VKB Gladiator, HOTAS Cougar gimbal.

Their dimensions is compact enough for fit inside Suncon F-15 base - need a extra spacer between top of the case and gimbal.

1.png

If sent for ROS-Karavan the dimension of Suncom upper tube - the part where grip is fit he can draw a compatible tube.

For example, the mesures in this sketch, result in tube compatible with Cougar grip.

Topic about, with link for STL files in il2Sturmovik.ru forum.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Object 77-B is DIY 3D Printed gimbal, with 2 CAM lever per axis and bearings in pivots, designed by ROS-Karavan.

People have assembled this gimbal as replacement for Cobra M-5, VKB Gladiator, HOTAS Cougar gimbal.

Their dimensions is compact enough for fit inside Suncon F-15 base - need a extra spacer between top of the case and gimbal.

1.png

If sent for ROS-Karavan the dimension of Suncom upper tube - the part where grip is fit he can draw a compatible tube.

For example, the mesures in this sketch, result in tube compatible with Cougar grip.

Topic about, with link for STL files in il2Sturmovik.ru forum.

Sokol1_br,

Is this the most effective gimbal conversion for the Suncom Talon, or are there some alternatives that fit better. If I want to re-wire the red buttons on the left side of the stick, will this gimbal still provide the needed clearance for buttons, wires, & board?

Thanks!!!

AMD 1700X @ 3.9 GHz, OC'd Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 ti Windforce 4G, Oculus Rift CV1, OC'd G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666 C15 2x8GB, MSI x370 Gaming Plus

Sportsfan

I have not tried this 3D Print gimbal personally (have 4 Suncom needing), so can't answer objectively.

Until now I have seem few attempts to update Suncom, because original gimbal is a kind of oscillating "Saturn ring", that don't have a defined X, Y axis pivot, so is difficult install sensors.

What I know:

- Debolestis give up in use this original gimbal, due the above.

- DocFlyer pot modification install a Hall sensor inside original potmter, but other than author opinion (~10 years ago), I have not seem a third hand feedback of this mod. Several people say that will try, but no one show results. Debolesis say that try this mod but give up due stiction.

- Suncom restoration in X-Plane, despite some people ask directly, that guy never show a picture of Hall sensor installation in gimbal, neither talk about the results. I suspect that Hall don't enter well in "Saturn" orbit. :)

- MegaMozg (MMjoy2, VirPil electronics) update a Suncom with a DIY U-Join gimbal with bearings, but has no center spring mechanism, grips is keep more or less on centetered by a rubber boot... could by practical for helicopters use only.

For what I see in Object 77 drawings, the "footprint" of this gimbal is 70x64mm (heigh is 43 mm), what occupies more of less the same space of original gimbal.

The only modification need is print a extra spacer for put between case top and gimbal top.

That small square in Suncom case top have no space sufficient for insert the gimbal, so is need put then lower.

The red silhuete - but with the correct "footprint"; is the Object 77-B gimbal, the gray part is the "spacer":

Object-77-B-Spacer.jpgupload pic

Or maybe if you redraw the Object 77-B top can skip the need of spacer.

Another gimbal that fit is this design, make with laser cut metal pieces.

Notice that in the topic I ask MYCYJIbMAHUH about dimensions, and conclude that fit.

Will need the same spacer need for Object 77-B, by the same reason. Ask MYCYJIbMAHUH, I think he can sell on the basic kit of this gimbal, upper disk is not needed for Suncom.

The short answer is: No, until now don't exit a "perfect" solution for Suncom gimbal, still trial and error. :)

Edited by Sokol1_br

Hi all, so I've got myself a new project for my week off next week.

I've been using my Lynx collective through a Bodnar X board for the last couple of years without any issue although the jig I use is a bit cumbersome as I also have a small table that has my Warthog throttle screwed and both need swapped regularly. Anyways, I'm thinking of attaching my collective to my Merlin heli seat which means miniaturizing the electronics and making a new fold-able jig.

So I've got myself an arduino micro pro, some neodymium magnets and some hall sensors and am going to do it through MMJoy2. Now thing thing is I have no idea where to start. Lol

Do I need resistors - if so what kind? The collective has the original military buttons and switches and I was going to add a few more generic switches, buttons including encoders for radios etc if that's any help. My current axis is through a potentiometer so would like to make this a hall sensor.

What would you suggest I read, watch first to get me going. My electrical knowledge is very, very limited by the way. I can solder but that's about it at the moment. Looking for some guidance. TIA chaps

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Do I need resistors - if so what kind? The collective has the original military buttons and switches and I was going to add a few more generic switches, buttons including encoders for radios etc if that's any help. M

You have two options for wire buttons: "button matrix" and Shift Register;

If use button matrix need diodes (1N4148 ), one for each button used.

Other option is use Shift Register circuit, CD4021 or 74HC165, each i/c control 8 buttons - you chain various for more buttons.

For those is need resistor, but in "net" format - a row of 9, and PCB. See this Debolestis topic:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2943388&postcount=113

Edited by Sokol1_br

Hey, thanks Sokol. What did you mean by 1N141(smiley face), is there a specific number at the end? Thanks

Ps I think the shift register stuff is beyond me!

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Is 1N4148 - happens that 8 near a ) result in 8)

BTW - This drawing is what means "(diode) button matrix" (using BU0836A matrix as example) and diode placement.

Is simple for few buttons, but a "spider web" for many.

Matrix.jpg

For wire this 8 buttons was used 6 Columns x 2 Rows ( allow connect up to 12 buttons), notice the sharing in some wires.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Nice one. I’ve seen this drawing before, not sure how it works with the arduino micro board but I imagine it’s similar inputs.

So I found some 3144 hall sensors in box of bits too. So it looks like I’ll be ready to start soon.

Is there much of a difference between using the shift register and button matrix? Is one better than the other? And finally what kind of pcb would you suggest?

Thanks

Edited by mr_mojo97

I also offer ready made 24Bit 4021 shift regs for 10€ in case you would like to go that route, but dont want to make them yourself. For more info you can click the link in my signature below.

Yeah, I’ve started using them, thanks.

Having a bit of trouble with the language on mmjoy2. I know it’s in Russian but in the translate drop down there are no other languages. Any ideas? Thanks

Another problem I'm afraid. COM is lit green and all the boxes are filled out correctly, I get the cmd screen and the command prompt Connecting to programmer and then nothing.

I get this at the cmd prompt now!!

avrdude.exe: ser_open(): can't open device "\\.\COM5": The system cannot find the file specified.

avrdude.exe: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail

C:\Users\Les\Documents\MMJoy2\v20160822\JoyLoader_arduino>pause

Press any key to continue . . .

Any ideas?

Cheers

Edited by mr_mojo97