Pilot Body Update from Aug, 18th

IronMike

1 hour ago, westr said:

Well its not a VR pilot no, but there is a difference between updated pilot models and the 1st person cockpit view pilot body, so I guess I just describe it as VR pilot because it is more noticeable that is missing in VR compared to 2d monitor output.   

I missed it the same on a monitor.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

3 hours ago, draconus said:

I missed it the same on a monitor.

Then you’ll look forward to getting it as much as me 

• Like 1

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

15 hours ago, Germane said:

In this case, it is not quite so simple. In the "real" head position, the HUD displays are rendered incorrectly. They are only displayed correctly for the "low" position.

Ok, well I guess we’ll see when we get the pilot model.

I usually determine the cockpit head position by looking at the external model to see where the pilot's head is, and - while in the cockpit - by looking down at the seat and checking the distance to the seat compared to where my physical seat is.

That way, in the F-14 the heading tape just barely touches the top of the HUD glass, and I have quite decent over-the-nose visibility…

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 4 weeks later...

Not in this patch, still due in May or will it be June? 

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

1 hour ago, near_blind said:

Things came up

That's understandable, my condolences to Cobra847 

• Like 1

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't understand the hard-on for pilot body; there's an element of increased immersion seeing limbs in the cockpit in lieu of the controls moving as if a particularly compliant poltergeist is your avatar, sure, I get that, but in aircraft so profoundly dependent on switchology I always find that these semi-static limbs ultimately get in the way, and that is equally if not more immersion-breaking.

Each to their own I guess.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DD_Fenrir said:

I always find that these semi-static limbs ultimately get in the way

I suggest to wait for the HB's implementation before judging.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

On 8/19/2022 at 1:02 PM, DD_Fenrir said:

I don't understand the hard-on for pilot body; there's an element of increased immersion seeing limbs in the cockpit in lieu of the controls moving as if a particularly compliant poltergeist is your avatar, sure, I get that, but in aircraft so profoundly dependent on switchology I always find that these semi-static limbs ultimately get in the way, and that is equally if not more immersion-breaking.

Each to their own I guess.

it doesn't matter, we should just have the choice

some people don't fly the F14, is it useless as an aircraft in DCS? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Bvv.Fr

this game is incredible 🤘

Interestingly if you visit the screenshot section on ED website and look at the screenshots from the F14 sandworm campaign there is an in cockpit screenshot with the pilot, so I would take a guess and say that was a alpha version of the game possibly so hopefully it’s getting close. 

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

2 hours ago, westr said:

...there is an in cockpit screenshot with the pilot, so I would take a guess and say that was a alpha version of the game possibly so hopefully it’s getting close.

No. These are external views and pilot&RIO are there since release. You can also see each other in the cockpit but not your own body apart from mirror.

4 hours ago, Callsign JoNay said:

No, there is an in cockpit one showing the feet. I shared it in the update hype thread last month.

Link, please.

9 hours ago, draconus said:

Thanks, now I remember. Maybe we'll just ask @Sandman Simulations for the explanation? A mod, PS or dev version of DCS?

Hi,

If you mean this one https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/upload/iblock/03a/jeiwl4sy48r6l33v65dkcha1ls5ek32w/dcs-world-flight-simulator-07-f-14b-operation-sandworm-campaign.jpg I think it was taken by moving from RIO position to look over pilot shoulder. When you are sitting on back seat you can see pilot body and vice versa.  I don't remember exactly how but definitely you can't see those blurry legs while flying as pilot. When you are sitting on back seat you can see pilot body and vice versa. Actually I didn't even remember that screenshot was released. It was just one of couple dozen shots I submitted to ED. 

In my opinion pilot body in Hornet for example is nice but it is a bit difficult when you can't move your hand to see and use all the knobs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Sandman Simulations said:

I think it was taken by moving from RIO position to look over pilot shoulder.

Thanks for clarification.

Here's a fun trick for taking pilot/RIO selfies:

While you're in the cockpit, use the pause function, and then switch seats with 1/2. You can then move the camera position around to take photos because the other body has not disappeared yet. I've used it to take some RIO style selfies like those Bio and co took.

Nj7mqy4.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]