Quest 2 Reveal

dburne

Oh , and the link runs off a usb port , so no need for a graphics card ?

You need graphics card, it is just that USB 3 is used to transmit all the rendered data from GPU to Quest. The Quest is not doing the graphics rendering etc, it is your GPU and Oculus software.

But that is the beauty of it, you get one thin cable coming from your PC to your Quest and you get full access not just to Oculus Store but as well to Steam store.

And that is really where all the nice things really ends.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

IMHO. Shortly put, I really would like to buy a Quest 2. There are few Oculus games I would love to play, but I don't even know are they available for Quest or not, but it doesn't matter really.

But facebook account? No thank you. I have this far avoided creating one ever, and not going to start now just to get a offline game work in VR.

But what I have seen etc.

1) Amazing price. 299-349 for 64 GB model that will be more than enough for most players. Seriously, a game that takes like 5-12 GB is such that you can have multiple ones inside Quest, and you anyways get easy way to swap them around if wanted. I wouldn't even recommend anyone to get the 256 GB model if they don't want to download all games from Oculus store.

2) 49 extra for the "Elite strap" what is IMHO ridiculous idea (should have come with it, as the current default strap as extra for mobility if wanted) but it is at least JUST a 49.

3) IPD settings is just bad thing. Like why not give the slider adjustment? At least you can set the lenses between 1-2-3 positions and it stays there (this based the Ars Technica review). But really facebook!?

4) Audio. Really Oculus, didn't you learn ANYTHING from the Rift S? So difficult really to support attaching the CV1 detachable headphones on the Elite strap at least? Really? I can understand that for mobility you want tiny factor, fine. Keep the built-in for the velcro strap but for 49 priced Elite Strap you should at least support attaching the headphones straight in it from CV1 (same should have been in Rift S!!). So you could have got to sell extra headphones for people for 49 or so who didn't own CV1 etc.

5) Controllers. Yes, bad. Time to go back to design board and make their circles not come toward the player but be like CV1 that goes around fist. I don't even allow playing many shooter VR games anymore because I and my friends constantly hit the controllers to the HMD and it is too high risk to break the camera lenses in that thing! And then when you put the controller close to the HMD they get lost. Tsk, Tsk, Tsk....

6) FOV. Really Oculus, you had great change to put something amazing in. Not a single panel but dual-panels and make them two 16:9 displays and extrand the horizontal FOV radically. Many would have been ready to take somewhat larger Quest 2 to have that wider FOV. Like two 1920 x 1080 panels there, one per eye. But sure you needed to get the price down. Just lost opportunity!

7) I really wanted to see a hand tracking in Rift S. Yes, it will be discontinued and it will eventually die. But it would have been huge hand toward existing PC VR users that they would get custom to it, have games supporting that feature and then later on when Rift S needs replacement, they would consider seriously Quest 2 or Quest 3 in the future as they would get that hand tracking system!

Really, a lost major opportunity!

As mentioned, if not facebook would be required, I would totally have already pre-purchased Quest 2.

Now it is back to consider PiMAX 8K VR for 599 € (no controllers and no base stations) that is now considerably superb change to get a 4K panel per eye capability, but that will likely kill the GPU :D

But I can't really so seriously consider that as it doesn't support DCS hand tracking so....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

FB bad. No buy for this guy.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

FB bad. No buy for this guy.

In FB VR the customer is the product, not the headset.

The headset is a means to an end.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

In FB VR the customer is the product, not the headset.

The headset is a means to an end.

whatever lets you sleep at night

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Quest 1 has a 150 Mbps limitation on the video bandwidth - can't decompress more than that n real time. A compressed image is no good for DCS. But with Quest 2 this limitation will be gone soon after launch - https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-quest-2-improvements/ - 90Hz refresh rate and hopefully no noticable loss of detail at all.

Looking at the specs it seems like people waiting in line for Reverb 2 will be throwing away 300$. Well, let's wait and see...

Hi my rift s has died so looking at getting the quest 2 can anyone confirm I can still use it DCS none steam version?

Yes of course. Just be aware you need to use the Oculus Link connection to hook it to your PC via USB which can sometimes be iffy depending on your USB Ports and if they are shared with other devices. Quest 2 is primarily a stand alone mobile device. Also I would suggest getting the Official Oculus Link cable for best experience - it is like another 79 bucks or so.

Oh just in case you are not aware, with the Quest 2 a Facebook Account is required.

I am still using Rift S but also have a Reverb G2 PC-VR headset on pre-order.

I don't much care for the Facebook Requirement they are imposing on new headsets from Oculus.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Quest 2 is not only 400 bucks: you have to add another 100 for the link cable (not included) and maybe you have to add the extra battery too; in addition, if you plan to use it only for flight simulators or steamVR games, you pay for a useless internal memory. It can be a good choice if you want to play also oculus runscale games wireless, otherwise I think reverb g2 is still a better option if the main focus is DCS or flight / drive simming in general.

Quest 2 is not only 400 bucks: you have to add another 100 for the link cable (not included) and maybe you have to add the extra battery too; in addition, if you plan to use it only for flight simulators or steamVR games, you pay for a useless internal memory. It can be a good choice if you want to play also oculus runscale games wireless, otherwise I think reverb g2 is still a better option if the main focus is DCS or flight / drive simming in general.

400 bucks? You said yourself internal memory is useless but refers to the higher storage version. And increase link cable price by 20%. You want Quest 2 to sound like $500.

$300 for 64GB version plus $80 for link cable is $380.

I'm not criticizing G2. It has its place in the market. But Quest 2 will bring VR to more people's reach for sure. Which is always good for the market.

In euro quest 2 64 GB Is 349 and quest 2 256 GB Is 449. Link cable Is 100. Extra battery 139. Reverb g2 Is 599. 349+100 Is 449, yes if you plan to use It only with Flight Sims, by buying 64 GB version without extra battery and with link cable you save 150. But the main focus of the Quest 2 Is the standalone experience, if you add more Memory and extra battery you go to 449+100+139= 688, more than the reverb g2. Maybe the slightly lower resolution of the Quest 2 can give you more FPS in dcs, maybe you can manage It well even with a 3070 or 2080ti, so It Is something to consider. But I think it's no more the best quality/price ratio that the Rift s was. Other that that, the new Microsoft sim will support reverb g2 soon, while we do not know when Oculus support will arrive.

Edited by nessuno0505

Had it not been for the new Facebook requirement I would probably have gotten the Quest 2 to have in addition to my new Reverb G2.

I just do not like that new requirement from Oculus.

Don B

Had it not been for the new Facebook requirement I would probably have gotten the Quest 2 to have in addition to my new Reverb G2.

I just do not like that new requirement from Oculus.

Yeah. The facebook tracking stuff, I'm not really worried about. What I'm concerned is that in the underlines, they can just kill your headset and all your purchased content if you "don't follow their rules" and they can re-write their rules anytime they want. Thats BS!

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Yeah. The facebook tracking stuff, I'm not really worried about. What I'm concerned is that in the underlines, they can just kill your headset and all your purchased content if you "don't follow their rules" and they can re-write their rules anytime they want. Thats BS!

If "don't follow their rules" means using fake account, that's same with android phones and google account. You can't purchase anything on google or Amazon without authenticating your personal info.

Edited by Taz1004

What I'm concerned is that in the underlines, they can just kill your headset and all your purchased content if you "don't follow their rules" and they can re-write their rules anytime they want. Thats BS!

I kinda doubt they are going to go on a fake name account zapping spree when they are trying to expand their customer base. Yeah they might do it, if they really just want some level of baseline clean data and don't care about how much market share they lose, but it's not like facebook is famous for enforcing their own rules.

If "don't follow their rules" means using fake account, that's same with android phones and google account. You can't purchase anything on google or Amazon without authenticating your personal info.

I haven't read it tbh, I'm just repeating. But I find it unlikely that it's limited to only fake accounts. Recently I received a spam mail from an old work colleague. He was giving up his 20 years email account because they changed their statement and required him to further provide more personal details, which he refused and was banned. If the story is true, Idk. It's just something that could also likely happen in facebook's world I guess.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

I kinda doubt they are going to go on a fake name account zapping spree when they are trying to expand their customer base. Yeah they might do it, if they really just want some level of baseline clean data and don't care about how much market share they lose, but it's not like facebook is famous for enforcing their own rules.

Do you think that facebook is worth billions today because of its VR marketshare or its users database? IMO, they just changed their Oculus strategy to better suit their actual marketshare, users.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Do you think that facebook is worth billions today because of its VR marketshare or its users database? IMO, they just changed their Oculus strategy to better suit their actual marketshare, users.

I said this couple times already but all the personal data collection is changing. For the worst. Not just Facebook... everyone.

For all voice assistants to work, Google, Siri, Alexa, Cortana... they have to listen ALL THE TIME in order to be activated by voice keyword. Your devices are always listening to you. This is how data is collected now. For this to work, they need hardware. Android phones for Google, Echo for Amazon...

Facebook currently doesn't have listening hardware and wants to join the party with Quest 2. I believe this is why Facebook aggressively priced Quest 2. And for this to work, they need real personal info. Not fake accounts.

Facebook currently doesn't have listening hardware and wants to join the party with Quest 2. I believe this is why Facebook aggressively priced Quest 2. And for this to work, they need real personal info. Not fake accounts.

I think you're right about the spying and pricing. I guess we'll have to wait and see how serious they are about having real identities. From what I know about data mining they can predict what you'll do next and how to best sell the ads to modify your behavior before you even know what you're going to do (get divorced, get cancer, take a loan, buy a car, or have a bowel movement) all without knowing your name.

One thing they might need a selected small set of real names for though it's test their behavior/influencing models in a tighter lab. In that case, yeah they might crack down hard and not care how much VR business they lose

I already have a fb account, I have an android phone and some amazon alexa devices at my home, I also have a PC windows and I use cortana, so everyone is already spying me, no big issues for what I'm concerned. I'm more concerned about data compression through oculus link cable leading to a worst image quality on PC despite good hmd resolution. According to the reviews I've seen, Quest 2 Is not the best device for PC use. It's a device focused on the standalone experience and a lot of interesting titles have been announced, but PC experience Is an ancillary function and not the main one. As someone interested mainly in PC VR, I think maybe there are better options, reverb g2 being one of those.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you think playing a game with a processor on the head is healthy?

We have GSMA, LTE, 5GHz, 2.4GHz, all creating cancer in us. What's a little processor on your head?

And let's not forget that 5G basically sucks your soul out of you if Internet is to be believed :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Oh , and the link runs off a usb port , so no need for a graphics card ?

Let's see . $1300-1500 ( or more ) for a G2 and a 3080 , vs $400 for the highest version Quest .

You really think that you can omit a proper graphic card? Link is just means of communicating the signal wireless, something still needs to fill and render those pixels - efficiently, I might add. I don't think there is yet a free lunch, particularly not from Zuckerberg and the likes.

You really think that you can omit a proper graphic card? Link is just means of communicating the signal wireless, something still needs to fill and render those pixels - efficiently, I might add. I don't think there is yet a free lunch, particularly not from Zuckerberg and the likes.

Actually , no :) See post #6 .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2