Hornet vs Viper

BuzzU

Hornet vs Viper  

279 members have voted

1. 1. Hornet vs Viper

• Hornet
    • Viper

I prefer carrier ops. So the Hornet is my go-to. Also, rippling 8 JDAMs/JSOWs on 8 separate targets at once is extremely fulfilling. That's something the Viper can't do, at least not yet.

But I do find myself jumping in the Viper every now and then, when I feel like drinking a beer and cruising around with 9X/120's, looking for A/A trouble.

Viper, because it has this magic "thing" the Hornet does not have. Its just the feeling of how the Viper handles and how it feels for me. Cant explain in words. As for the Hornet, its good, can do it all, but... yeah, feels a bit lifeless + I`m not the Navy type.

Hornet performs better in almost every envelope,

Hornet has bugs that make it unmeasurably more deadly in BVR

Hornet gets generally way more love

Hornet gets all the toys, as they are not sticking to a "realistic" edition of some squadron end of 2003 or whatever.

Just pick the hornet, you will be more happy if you're unbiased yet.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

I generally love carrier aviation, so Hornet gets a big plus there. In addition to that, I really like how the avionics are done. I simply don't get with Viper's controls very well. Having said that, I really like how Viper flies and I happily take it out to a tour every once in a while. The biggest pain point there is how cockpit works in VR. With Rift S everything is simply too small to tell apart.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Hornet gets all the toys, as they are not sticking to a "realistic" edition of some squadron end of 2003 or whatever.

Not sure who you're talking to? The question is what plane would you pick if both planes were finished? Not what plane you'd recommend to buy now.

Just in case you were talking to me. I've had the Hornet since 9/23/2018 and the Viper since it was offered. I didn't ask this question for me but just curious which one is more popular.

Buzz

I have zero intentions of derailing this thread, but how in the world is the Hornet "immeasurably more deadly in BVR"? The Viper dominates the Hornet in BVR and it isn't really close either.

Hornet. Simply because she has been my favorite jet since I saw her first about 30 years ago. First love - true love forever. (I sometimes feel really sorry for the Hog in my hangar which served me so faithfully before the Hornet came out...but I pay homage to her through my forum name :smilewink: )

For the same reason as others have mentioned already.

Over all I like the viper cockpit better and it feels so much more responsive in acceleration.

I absolutely love landing on carriers though so my DCS woykd be incomplete without the 18.

If they release the full fidelity F-15 that will be a must buy in addition to what I own.

I have the A-10 I have barely touched yet but will be fun when I feel like being low and slow.

I really had to think about this one. I have quite a bit more time in the Hornet than the Viper, but doing quite a bit of Viping lately and was pleasantly surprised how much I like it. The F5 was the first DCS mod I got reasonably good at, so the Chair Force way isn't entirely alien.

You can't count the PVI as a plus in either situation since this is, after all, a game and I use the same Virple/Thrustmaster setup with both. There are things that aren't on the Hornet stick that are on mine (radar controls in particular), so both of them are pretty hands on when things get dicey. I also can't count the lack of HARM against the Viper since they're coming soon (though only two of them) and that's just modeling.

The Viper has some advantages, particularly in air to air, which is what she was designed to do. She accelerates like a sprinter, handles like a dream, and has unparalleled visibility, apart from which that's a sexy air frame, as someone pointed out. It's also surprising how easy it is to land and float to a stop, even with that dainty undercarriage and those cute little brakes.

But I still have to go with the Hornet. It just does more, and does it all pretty well. The bug can hold her own in pretty much any situation. Not as fast, can't pull so many Gs, but loves high alpha and that nose authority will surprise you. Most of the maps are pretty close to water, so having carrier capability is also a major plus for me, particularly since I enjoy the challenge.

Besides. Navy. Dad was Air Force before it was called that, so there's the whole inter-service rivalry thing... :pilotfly:

For me it's definately the viper. Looks, familiarity, the fact that they've been in the skies overhead for almost all my life, but mostly their performance. The hornet is a fine machine, make no mistake. But it drives like my Toyota Corolla, while the viper drives like a motherlovin' V8 hotrod.

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

Ya know, this sounds like a question for...

...Mondays With Mover!

You know, considering he's flown both Vipers and Bugs IRL !!

Mover prefers the Viper for A/A.

Personally, I prefer the Hornet. It's a grossly under-rated dogfighter.

As if my opinion verses a real fighter pilot is relevant in any way.

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

Hornet all the way for me for all the points noted earlier. The key thing is, the Hornet was developed as a naval multirole fighter from the get go (i understand) whilst the Viper was developed as an air superiority fighter...which was then converted to A2G. I still love the Hornet.

AMD AM4 Ryzen7 3700X 3.6ghz/MSI AM4 ATX MAG X570 Tomahawk DDR4/32GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz/1TB 970 Evo SSD/ASUS RTX2070 8gb Super

Hornet all the way for me for all the points noted earlier. The key thing is, the Hornet was developed as a naval multirole fighter from the get go (i understand) whilst the Viper was developed as an air superiority fighter...which was then converted to A2G. I still love the Hornet.

Originally, they both fought for the same position. The Viper won and the Navy decided to go with the loser because it had 2 engines.

Buzz

Originally, they both fought for the same position. The Viper won and the Navy decided to go with the loser because it had 2 engines.

Keep in mind that while f18 resembles yf17, it was heavily modified to extent it can be considered as a new aircraft

Edited by =4c=Nikola

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.