How to use the ACLS?

paco2002

F14 newbie here, DCS F18 pilot, created this list

- boat ATC frequency needs dialled in, if > 225 use pilot radio, if 127.5 only Jester radio can be used RCtrl-\

- ATC boat needs to be notified 'Inbound' for ACL ready and kick in or nothing will happen

- Jester connect DataLink with boat as HOST (don't need ILS, but for backup)

- Jester dial Navigation TACAN TAC to the boat

- know the boat BRC (ATC will mention), in the briefing or click boat on the F10 map

- FB of the landing deck for training can be easier FB = BRC - 9°, compensate when inbound

- dial in this BRC or FB with HSI knob for the HSI TACAN for course intercept, this is copied to BDHI

- dial CH of ILS of the boat for intercept VDI/HSD ACL/ILS course, and as a backup

- keep checking TACAN Bearing Heading Indicator (BDHI) / HSD for bearing, intercept course and distance and alt

- VDI Mode LDG landing / Steer Mode AWL / HUD ACL / VDI ACL

( plan to intercept the ILS from below, f.i. be 1500ft at 6-7nm, whilst maintaining altitude, CASE I is 800ft, but prob not done ACL, if flying CASE II or III you will fly level 1200' from about 12nm straight in )

- start, call in 'see you at 10' if so

- Hook Down

- first Speedbrake FULL / Wings Auto / Gear DWN 250kts / Flaps 200kts ( cut throttle for a sec / DLC optional when ACL )

- Main Autopilot Switch ON ( necessary for both Autothrottle and ACL, Nose Wheel Button will activate ACL )

- ACL switch DOWN, ready ( 'VOICE' warning light switches ON, you're connected but out of range )

- slow down approaching the boat, 7nm out max 200kts flap speed is OK,

- slow down nearing the boat ( landing speed = ~120kts, ~150kts is OK for switching AOA Autothrottle )

- Autothrottle ON for on-speed AOA 15 units

( you cannot have Zero throttle switching A/T, Autopilot Main Switch needs ON, ALT hold disables, AOA goes to 15 units, gear needs down)

- < 7nm out 'LANDING CHK' warning light will have switched ON ( ACL connection is in range and OK )

- on-speed AOA-15, level out underneath GS, maintaining 1200ft is NATOPS safe, keep your VS on the horizon on-speed

- get and keep your ACL/ILS vertical needle centred

( Stern Light RED, you're left, GREEN you're right, Blinking you're close, BROWN you're aligned )

- < 4nm out, ACL READY and A/P CPLR warning lights switch ON ( system is ready for Nose Wheel Button )

- with Vertical needle centred and Horizontal needle close coming down,

- click Nose Wheel Button (N) ( in DCS your stick has to be neutral here )

- call in 'Tomcat BALL' (if Supercarrier)

- 'CMD CONTROL' warning light switches ON

- let go of everything, ACL flies the plane

( ACL will now intercept the horizontal needle from below (this is why) and guide descent )

( stand by to go Full Throttle, for a sec only, then cut to military, when trapping )

- a 10 SECOND light switches ON ( for CASE III night trapping )

- you will catch 3 wire

- Military Throttle, Stop, Hook UP, hit Nose Wheel Button (NWS warning light switches ON)

- Flaps UP, Wings back (needs Flaps up),

- clear deck, radio 'Deck Green'

(think I got it all, YMMV, there was a guide by a RL pilot but it appears he was stopped, this is how I do it now)

Edited by majapahit
  • Thanks 1

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Pretty much the question above, I know there are some bugs, but it works at least sometimes?

Actually ACLS with me seems to work all the time. Huge difference with flying the F18.

You want to have the right sequence so ACL actually triggers, and in particular you want then to be in the right position on the needles and with A/T AOA 15, when you let ACL take over.

The better you are maneuvered in the right position when intercepting ( <4nm ) the smoother ACL comes in, if not, it creates quite the horrible roller coaster, just avoid that. Your maneuvers need to be smooth and under control to get there, and it's easy with that done.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Usually use ACLS during CASE III with no issues over the last 3 weeks. Actually used it during a CASE I just for giggles and it worked in close. Would never recommend it as a procedure for CASE I

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

https://www.cag-51.org/contact