IFF Interogate not working?

Doum76

Hey all,

ok i feel stupid,trying to understand here, learning the IFF and SA, there a few post on this and trying what i read over and still doesn't work, when i enterogate an unknown, i get no replies, i made a Mig-29 spawn, between 20-30 nm, i get his EWR triangle indicator, IFF and D/L are both on, on the Radar Data page i unboxed LTWS so i can try to do manualy stuff.

I cannot get the target to become bandit with red icons. I mouse over it on the Radar, press « Sensor Cpntrol Switch - Depress » and nothing happens well closer than 20 nm, and no response, fine, then i STT it, press the « Sensor Cpntrol Switch - Depress » again to interogate with NCTR, so i tried to IFF with both Mode 4 and NCTR and no joy.. it still shows as unknown....

what am i missing? Do i really need a donator to fully ID it hostile? I though if IFF Mode 4 interogate no response would be considered hostile than with STT NCTR interrogate would confirm second option and confirmed it hostile....

did youi hold the depress switch for a few secs?

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

did youi hold the depress switch for a few secs?

Yep, i press a few seconds as Mode 4 Interrogation while TDC over on theradar and did also when STT interrogate, nothing happens, it will just stay Unknown, if i box LTWS, it will detect it as hostile... really dunno what i am doing wrong...

Was working for me just fine earlier today, SP and MP.

Maybe post a track and we can check it out?

Will try something. For now it only works if i have LTWS selected...

EDIT: Here's the attached track trying manual interrogation without LTWS.

FA18-01.trk

Edited by Doum76

I think there's two things going on here:

Without a donor sending hostile ID you need both a negative IFF response and NCTR.

With LTWS off and in RWS mode, the MC does not build radar track files. Without a track file for the aircraft, there's nothing for the radar to assign an ID to. You need to be in TWS or have LTWS enabled for the radar to remember which contacts are which planes, and which of those planes are hostile.

Now, in STT with positive NCTR I think it should be possible to get a hostile return, so that may be a bug.

IFF in general is still only about half baked. Quite a few IFF functions in the Hornet are tied into the AZ/EL page, which we don't have yet.

• Like 1

I think there's two things going on here:

Without a donor sending hostile ID you need both a negative IFF response and NCTR.

With LTWS off and in RWS mode, the MC does not build radar track files. Without a track file for the aircraft, there's nothing for the radar to assign an ID to. You need to be in TWS or have LTWS enabled for the radar to remember which contacts are which planes, and which of those planes are hostile.

Now, in STT with positive NCTR I think it should be possible to get a hostile return, so that may be a bug.

IFF in general is still only about half baked. Quite a few IFF functions in the Hornet are tied into the AZ/EL page, which we don't have yet.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try with TWS, i know it still WIP, i was just trying to reproduce what i've seen in videos. LTWS off, RWS, no donors. But doesn't seem to work for me. Thing is, i am trying to do as Grim Reapers did, in june 2019 video, though maybe some stuff changed since then. Didn't mentionned i was on latest Open Beta. Worst case scenario, i'll just use with LTWS, i just wanted to explore both ways and understand both.

EDIT: It did worked in TWS + No LTWS, i guess i'll just use LTWS on and problem solve.

Edited by Doum76

• 1 month later...

Is it normal that the IFF interrogation does not show hostile until I am within 10 miles? Impossible to do a BVR combat properly ...

Could it be a bug that is going unnoticed because we all use the Awacs??

Of course LTWS and everything are activated by default.

Is it normal that the IFF interrogation does not show hostile until I am within 10 miles? Impossible to do a BVR combat properly ...

Yes, because for a hostile designation you need at least two sensors confirming the ID. Without offboard designation through a data link donor, you need to get that confirmation from your own sensors, and there you only have IFF and NCTR. The problem is not IFF though, as that works over all practical distances. The problem is NCTR, as NCTR scans the engine signature through the engine inlets of the enemy aircraft, to identify the aircraft type and that is only possible if you're rather close to the target and have a line of sight into the engine inlets of the enemy aircraft.

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, because for a hostile designation you need at least two sensors confirming the ID. Without offboard designation through a data link donor, you need to get that confirmation from your own sensors, and there you only have IFF and NCTR. The problem is not IFF though, as that works over all practical distances. The problem is NCTR, as NCTR scans the engine signature through the engine inlets of the enemy aircraft, to identify the aircraft type and that is only possible if you're rather close to the target and have a line of sight into the engine inlets of the enemy aircraft.

Thanks a lot, QuiGon.

Because those two sensors that you indicate are necessary, do you mean sensors from different planes even if they are the same, for example two IFF from two F18? No NCTR, both IFF.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==Or ​should it always be two different sensors, one an IFF, and the other, from the same plane or another, a NCTR?

Thank you very much again.

Thanks a lot, QuiGon.

Because those two sensors that you indicate are necessary, do you mean sensors from different planes even if they are the same, for example two IFF from two F18? No NCTR, both IFF.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==Or ​should it always be two different sensors, one an IFF, and the other, from the same plane or another, a NCTR?

​Thank you very much again.

If I'm not mistaken, an offboard designation counts as one sensor. So if you get a DL from another Hornet, which tells your systems that a contact is hostile, that would be one sensor. If your IFF also says that the contact is hostile (or "not friendly" rather), then your system should have enough sensors (DL + IFF) to declare the contact hostile.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Use Sensor control switch depresse, not bind by default

• GamingPC: Ryzen 5950X  + 64G RAM + Nvidia 4090 + 1T Dedicated SSD For DCS 
  • HOTAS: WingWin F15EX Throttle + VKB Gunfighter Mk.III Joystick + SN2 Rudder + TrackIR Pro
  • HomeServer: Dell R7515 (EPYC 7402 + 1 T RAM + 48T SSD Raid10 + Nvidia A40
  • Network: Google Fiber 2G

I use it, but flying in offline and without awacs, the red hostile marking appears within 10 miles.

Here's your problem.

To get positive target ID system has to get ID from two sources, out of three avaible.

1. IFF system - works from many miles... I don't know how many, but probably ~100 nm

2. ID via own radar (it scans target's engines profiles from front or rear, not from side) - works from ~10 nm

3. External source via data link - AWACS or other fighter

If you remove 3., you need to get 2 sources of ID from own aircraft, and as you can see 2. is your limit.

Watch Wags video, he explains that in details.

If you're completely sure the contact is a hostile and really want him to show up as a red diamond, you can always use the Pilot ID function on the SA page to set him to hostile rather than relying entirely on the automatic system.

• Like 1