Cold War 1947 - 1991 *** Limited Edition ***

Alpenwolf

Important Notes:

- This is NOT a new server, but rather a mission with exceptional features for the Cold War 1947 - 1991 server.
- All aircraft and weapons are limited in numbers.
- The scenario of this mission is slightly based on the first days of the October War (Yom Kippur War) with obvious discrepancies regarding featured modules/units.
- Flying solo is NOT appreciated! This is a MULTIPLAYER mission on a public server and not for other purposes.
- Use SRS for communicating with other players to get the most out of your teamwork.
- Transport helicopters are excluded. Use whatever ground units you have available and use them sensibly.

**************************************************************************************************************
The mission goes online once in a while. Dates and times are always announced several days prior to the event.
**************************************************************************************************************

Server Name: Cold War 1947 - 1991

Server IP: 193.70.81.86
SRS IP: 193.70.81.86

Note that I use the TeamSpeak 3 channel of the 104th Phoenix server.

When tuned in, scroll all the way down to see it.

TeamSpeak 3 IP: ts50.gameservers.com:9132
TeamSpeak 3 password: phoenix

Operation Tiberias

Situation:

Syrian forces have managed to capture and hold Kiryat Shmona (a city in northern Israel near the Lebanese border) in a Blitzkrieg manner and are threatening to advance even further south. In addition, and together with their allies from Iran they've put immense pressure on Israel's most trusted neighbour in the region, Jordan, to execute yet another operation to capture and hold vital industrial sites in the vicinity of the city of Tiberias by the sea of Galilee. Furthermore, Russian Ka-50's were sent in to provide CAS for Syrian and Russian tanks in their battle against Israeli Merkavas.

The sudden attack on Israel was alarming to US navy forces who were conducting certain military operations in the Mediterranean Sea just north of Libya. The aircraft carrier, Theodore Roosevelt, among other warships was quickly diverted and sent east. The US navy assets are currently on high alert in the waters west of the infamous and old city of Caesarea, Israel; a once crucial harbour used by the Romans.

The Hornets are already sharpening their stings!

8 km northwest of the city of Tiberias is the Netafim Military Base. Syrian ground forces are undoubtedly pushing hard to break through to capture and hold the base. Achieving this would gain them the superiority in the area including valuable industrial sites.

This battle will unequivocally determine the outcome of the war!

The Syrian Air Force is launching groups of MiG-21's from Kiryat Shmona, Beirut and King Hussein Air College. The latter being the main airbase in Jordan and was given to the Syrians to operate from after receiving threats of war should the Jordanians show any sign of noncompliance. Citing concerns of a broadening conflict and in an attempt to maintain neutrality, Jordanian Forces have withdrawn south of the airbase to stay out of the war.

Syrian MiG-29A's together with Iranian F-14A's and F-5's operate from Damascus Airbase.

Israeli F-15C's operate from Ramat David Airbase, while F-16C's operate from Megiddo Airbase.

American F/A-18C's and AV-8B's operate from the aircraft carrier, Theodore Roosevelt.

Winning Conditions:

The Syrians and their allies win if they manage to capture and hold the military base of Netafim at the bullseye for 12 minutes. That's the time Syrian engineers will need to get their hands on classified documents and telegraph them back to Damascus.

Israel's only way of winning is stopping the invasion by destroying any enemy tank they find on their soil. The F-18C's CAS role will be very decisive.

RED (Syria, Iran and Russia) Objectives:

MiG-21's and F-5's:

- Waypoint-1 is the lake of Galilee.
- Keep a low profile over the Jordan river from Kiryat Shmona all the way to the south.
- Do NOT ingress west or else enemy SAM units might shoot you down.
- Intercept enemy planes only if they're nearby.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F-14A's:

Your main targets are American F-18C's performing CAS.
Keep them away from friendly tanks pushing towards the enemy's military base west of the city of Tiberias.

Waypoint-1 - Southwest of Kiryat Shmona Airbase.
Waypoint-2 - Southwest of our FARP Yunga.
Waypoint-3 - King Hussein Airbase - friendly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MiG-29A's:

Israeli F-15C's are your top priority targets. These are the enemy's main fighter planes and killing as many of them as possible would help our Ka-50's perform safely.

Waypoint-1 - Southwest of Kiryat Shmona Airbase.
Waypoint-2 - Southwest of our FARP Yunga.
Waypoint-3 - King Hussein Airbase - friendly.

Ka-50's:

Waypoint-1 is the enemy's military base. Destroy any enemy ground units in that area.

Frequencies:

EWR-1: 124 MHz (Channel 0 for MiG-21's)
EWR-2: 261 MHz (Mainly for F-14A's and F-5's - MiG-29A's can use it too)
FARP Yunga: 127.5 MHz

BLUE (Israel and USA) Objectives:

Important Notes:

- The enemy has one SAM SA-6 site at each operational airbase and elsewhere in the mountains.
- In addition, Tor units are also at the airbases and in between.
- Enemy advancing tanks are protected by Strelas and Shilkas mainly. Only two Tors included.

F-15C's:

- Destroy any aerial threats around the sea of Galilee between waypoint-1 and -2.
- Be aware of Russian Ka-50's providing CAS for Syrian tanks.

AV-8B's, F-16C's and F-18C's:

Waypoint-1 is the location of the enemy's southern tanks. Syrian T-55's and Russian T-72's.
Waypoint-2 is the location of the enemy's northern tanks. Syrian T-55's and Russian T-80's.
Waypoint-3 is the Netafim Military Base.

- The tanks are protected by Strelas and Shilkas mainly.
- Destroy any enemy ground unit on Israeli soil.
- Watch out for friendly Merkava tanks at the Netafim Military Base and by the city of Tiberias.

*** F-18C's SEAD ***

The Syrian Army has placed a good number of SAM SA-6 sites and Tor units around the Israeli-Syrian, Israeli-Lebanese and Israeli-Jordanian borders. Taking out as many as of the closest sites mainly would help us perform safely.

Frequencies:

EWR-1 Axeman: 251 MHz
EWR-2 Darknight: 252 MHz
Theodore Roosevelt: 127.5 MHz, channel 71, channel mode X - ICLS: Channel 12

kVd5vGT.png

Bullseye.png

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

F-14A's:

2 x slots - 24 aircraft
2 x reserve slots at King Hussein Air College airbase with ZERO aircraft available.
* That means if pilots land their MiG-28's at King Hussein and leave them there, the reserve slots become alive.

AIM-7MH and AIM-9M missiles are available
Air-to-ground weapons are disabled

MiG-29A's:

4 x slots - 28 aircraft
2 x reserve slots at King Hussein Air College airbase with ZERO aircraft available.
* That means if pilots land their MiG-28's at King Hussein and leave them there, the reserve slots become alive.

All air-to-air missiles available, except for the R-27ER and the R-27ET

MiG-21's:

8 x slots - 42 aircraft
All operational Red airbases have the MiG-21 included

R-3R's, R-60M's and R-13M1's available

MiG-28's (F-5's):

4 x slots - 24 aircraft

AIM-9P5's available

Ka-50's:

2 x slots - 10 aircraft

All weapons are available

* Fuel tanks and pods are available for all

**********************************************************************************************************

F-15C's:

6 x slots - 48 aircraft
1 x reserve slot at Megiddo airbase with ZERO aircraft available.
* That means if pilots land their F-15C's at Megiddo and leave them there, the reserve slot becomes alive.

AIM-7MH and AIM-9M missiles are available

F-16C's:

4 x slots - 28 aircraft
1 x reserve slot at Ramat David airbase with ZERO aircraft available.
* That means if pilots land their F-16C's at Ramat David and leave them there, the reserve slot becomes alive.

Only AIM-9M missiles are available (CAS is the objective)
AGM-88C's, AGM-65F's, AGM-65H's, bombs and rockets (both guided and unguided) are available

F/A-18C's:

4 x slots - 28 aircraft
* That means if pilots land their F-16C's at Ramat David and leave them there, the reserve slot becomes alive.

AIM-7MH and AIM-9M missiles are available (CAS is the objective)
AGM-88C's, AGM-65F's, AGM-65H's, bombs and rockets (both guided and unguided) are available

AV-8B's:

2 x slots - 12 aircraft
* That means if pilots land their AV-8B's at Ramat David and leave them there, the reserve slot becomes alive.

AIM-9M missiles are available
AGM-65F's, AGM-65H's, bombs and rockets (both guided and unguided) are available

* Fuel tanks and pods are available for all

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

This sounds awesome! I really love the concept, that tries to make MP gameplay more realistic by forcing pilots to be more careful with their lives, limited slots by type and an overall plan of operation!

I would love to participate! :)

One question though: What exactly qualifies as "walk away from the aircraft" in order to save the aircraft and the weapons?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

One question though: What exactly qualifies as "walk away from the aircraft" in order to save the aircraft and the weapons?

Say you take a MiG-29A from Damascus (spawn base) and after flying and fighting for a while you're low on fuel. Instead of flying back to Damascus you could then land at King Hussein airbase (waypoint-3). Now, if you decide to take a different airplane or drive a tank or simply leave the server, etc. that MiG-29A is saved and becomes accessible for others at King Hussein airbase ("walking away from the airplane"). It's not lost. And if you had any weapons with you they are also saved in the warehouse.

Nevertheless, you can land your MiG-29A at King Hussein airbase any time you want for whatever reason. The same applies for F-14B's and F-5's. Landing at other airbases can only help if you need to rearm and/or refuel. But leaving your airplane at an airbase where it's not meant to be will take that airplane out of the game. Simply because there are no slots for it there.

MiG-21's can land at Beirut, Kiryat Shmona and King Hussein airbases because they spawn there. The crews at these airbases are qualified to house a certain type of airplanes so to speak.

Israeli airbases are quite close from one another. Therefore, F-15C's operate from Ramat David only, F-16C's from Haifa airbase only and the F-18C's from the aircraft carrier only. Still, they can land at any Israeli airbase for refueling and/or rearming but not for parking the airplane and "walking away from it", otherwise the airplane is lost.

These fine details might change. The numbers of the available airplanes and weapons too. As always, the mission goes online, I check out the tacview files, observe the players, read the players' feedback here on the forum and start fixing possible bugs or changing some features.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Hope this will have future appearences, as I won't be able to take part

Sure it will. It's just not really part of the regular server's missions. It will go online from time to time. Unless it turns out to be a complete disaster :smilewink:

We'll see...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Say you take a MiG-29A from Damascus (spawn base) and after flying and fighting for a while you're low on fuel. Instead of flying back to Damascus you could then land at King Hussein airbase (waypoint-3). Now, if you decide to take a different airplane or drive a tank or simply leave the server, etc. that MiG-29A is saved and becomes accessible for others at King Hussein airbase ("walking away from the airplane"). It's not lost. And if you had any weapons with you they are also saved in the warehouse.

Nevertheless, you can land your MiG-29A at King Hussein airbase any time you want for whatever reason. The same applies for F-14B's and F-5's. Landing at other airbases can only help if you need to rearm and/or refuel. But leaving your airplane at an airbase where it's not meant to be will take that airplane out of the game. Simply because there are no slots for it there.

MiG-21's can land at Beirut, Kiryat Shmona and King Hussein airbases because they spawn there. The crews at these airbases are qualified to house a certain type of airplanes so to speak.

Israeli airbases are quite close from one another. Therefore, F-15C's operate from Ramat David only, F-16C's from Haifa airbase only and the F-18C's from the aircraft carrier only. Still, they can land at any Israeli airbase for refueling and/or rearming but not for parking the airplane and "walking away from it", otherwise the airplane is lost.

These fine details might change. The numbers of the available airplanes and weapons too. As always, the mission goes online, I check out the tacview files, observe the players, read the players' feedback here on the forum and start fixing possible bugs or changing some features.

Alright, so "walking away from the aircraft" just means I have to land. It sounded a bit like I had to do something special after landing :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Alright, so "walking away from the aircraft" just means I have to land. It sounded a bit like I had to do something special after landing :)

Yeah, my bad. Sometimes you write or say something that makes sense to you assuming it surely makes sense to all.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I see you included R-77 missiles

You should know only the MiG-29S variant can actually equip them at all, and it can do it on all 6 of it's stations

Cheers

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

Also, if we're going all out, why not add Su-27's and 33's?

Modules:

F-14, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, M-2000C, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B N/A, MiG-29, Su-33, MiG-21 Bis, F-5E, P-51D, Ka-50, Mi-8, Sa 342, UH-1H, Combined Arms

Maps and others:

Persian Gulf, Syria, Normandy, WWII Assets, NS 430 + Mi-8 NS 430

I see you included R-77 missiles

You should know only the MiG-29S variant can actually equip them at all, and it can do it on all 6 of it's stations

Cheers

Yeah, my bad. Removed.

Also, if we're going all out, why not add Su-27's and 33's?

Well, we're not really going all out :smilewink:

I'm following a specific scenario here. It has to make sense to me within the limits of the story behind the mission. American and Russian aircraft carriers just west of Israel and Syria sounds a bit improper to me. So no room for Su-33's. The American aircraft carrier didn't just come out of nowhere. It was "conducting certain military operations in the Mediterranean Sea just north of Libya". There is that justification for it being there.

If you check out the briefing of every Cold War mission I've designed so far there is always that certain scenario telling a specific story to kind of justify what's going on. Otherwise, I'm not comfortable with the mission. Hence "It has to make sense to me".

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

NOTE:

As you can see there are no Red strikers in the mission. The job is to get the ground forces to the Netafim military base and not attacking the enemy's airbases (although allowed in this scenario for both sides but it's not the objective, unless players think otherwise).

The 4 x Patriot sites at the 4 Israeli airbases might cause some trouble for Red fighters. If that's the case then a small group of Su-25T's will be added next time to perform SEAD, but not tomorrow as I do think it is doable without. I might be wrong though...

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Flew in the first 1.5h of the mission and I really liked the basic concept of the mission. The balancing was off though. Way more blue than red.

Unfortunately my F-14 pilot wasn't available at the time. Would have loved to do some RIO magic and kick Vipers and Hornets in the **** :D

Maybe next time (I hope there is a next time!) :)

Tornado3 small.jpg

Great mission with a great storyline behind it, 10/10!

I think that maybe taking away the long range missiles and sticking to the medium range alternatives instead would be more balanced, just like in the mission ‘Search & Destroy’.

Felt like the Red side had to keep a low profile and use Guerrilla tactics to get the kills.

The short range missile fighters would not have to rely on the GCi to get guided in, and could pretty much go head on.

Sticking to R60M’s and 9M’s instead of X and 73’s would balance it out even more with the older gen fighters.

Edited by NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Blue Won!

Summary:

Many Red tanks were missing at mission's start. Annoying mission editor issue -_-

Some KUB sites and Tor's were missing too. (Again, mission editor issue)

All Blue ground units were available.

The ground battles were great FUN! T-55's managed to destroy some Merkava tanks. The F-18C's did some CAS and SEAD but mostly CAP which is not their objective. If we only had more Red players. I figured that everyone's going to grab the F- planes right away. If only most of these players stuck with their objectives. I was doing GCI for Red all the time and most players were not even on SRS (surprise, surprise). Some MiG-21 and F-5 players were complaining about the setup being unfair while not even being on SRS. Really?!

Some MiG-21 pilot was with me on SRS and I guided him towards a Viper. He shot it DOWN! You should've heard him screaming out of joy!

3 F-5 pilots were also on SRS with me for quite a long time and together we got a total of 5-6 kills!

When GCI is available, just USE it, guys. That can change the outcome of battles more than you think.

The mission was online for the first time tonight. My hope is that players will stick with the objective some day. So it's not a one time show. Limiting the available aircraft and weapons should make players fly more sensibly. And in fact, it did. So maybe in time players will get used to the mission.

Here's the butcher's bill:

11 x MiG-21's were lost (96 available)

18 x F-5's were lost (60 available)

21 x MiG-29's were lost (24 available)

14 x F-14's were lost (24 available)

4 x Ka-50's were lost (12 available)

25 x F-15's were lost (36 available)

17 x F-16's were lost (24 available)

13 x F-18's were lost (24 available)

So to those who were asking for the removal of AMRAAM's, as you can see here with more Red players flying around and with the missing KUB sites being available I think Blue would've had a hard time keeping their planes alive. I will need to launch the mission again soon with the same setup hoping to see more Red players to see how things will play out before determining whether I need to add more aircraft or remove some.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I will need to launch the mission again soon with the same setup hoping to see more Red players to see how things will play out before determining whether I need to add more aircraft or remove some.

Looking forward to that! :thumbup:

(Hopefully it won't be on a late Sunday evening :music_whistling:)

Tornado3 small.jpg

FYI The AIM-120A was only starting to get fielded in 91, which we don't have in the game. AIM-120B was around 94-95 and the C-5 in the early to mid 00s.

Don't know which year is the scenario supposed to represent, but it definetely doesn't match the server name.

Blue has every advantage to stomp on Red, if they coudln't with AMRAAMs and had so many losses... That is not a mission balance issue

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

FYI The AIM-120A was only starting to get fielded in 91, which we don't have in the game. AIM-120B was around 94-95 and the C-5 in the early to mid 00s.

Don't know which year is the scenario supposed to represent, but it definetely doesn't match the server name.

Blue has every advantage to stomp on Red, if they coudln't with AMRAAMs and had so many losses... That is not a mission balance issue

I did state that the mission will have exceptional changes allowing myself to break a rule or two. The AMRAAM's were not the issue. The issue was with Red players not used to fly their MiG-21's against such an enemy on the Cold War server or maybe any other server. So they're not familiar with how to approach such an enemy. I watched the whole thing and quite often they flew head on without even notching a bit. Even an AIM-7F would've finished the job, I guess. And I'm aware of the tough challenge in this mission. But the actual main issue was not using SRS especially when a GCI operator was there for them. How else were some F-5's and that MiG-21 able to get some kills? If you compare this mission with the regular 29 other missions on this server you're making a mistake. It's pretty much unlike the rest of the missions. That's why I put it on a different thread in its own world within the Cold War world using a different set of rules. That's why I promoted the mission 2-3 days before it went online to hopefully avoid confusion. Besides, after 1.5 hours or so Blue ran out of AMRAAM's and had to deal with their AIM-7M's for the last 2.5-3 hours.

It's a new challenge with maybe too much changes for the Cold War players that I hope they'd like. That's why it's not part of the server's daily mission. And that's why I'll always announce putting the mission online days before I actually do to give players the chance of maybe organise or figuring out a plan.

You know how much I'm about realism and if I'd pull the trigger on that and go all in with it the server would end up being almost empty every day. So step by step and only once in a while I try out some "crazy" stuff like this.

Hope to see you next time so you could focus on the tanks and I could stick with doing GCI only :smilewink: Blue had 3 GCI operators and I was doing both ground warfare and GCI on my own. Not good. You end up being ineffective for both.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

I think you missed my point. I do not know who flew when the mission was live, but such losses, such as 25 F-15s, etc., when such a huge arsenal of multiple times better equipment is present, indicates that the blue team was not of particularly high or even average skill.

A well organised blue team, with what they have as equipment will stomp red, with no chance for red.

Maybe there other factors I don't know about, but just looking at it from an objective point of view, one team's equipment is multiple times more advanced. Yeah, everything can happen in the air and a prop plane can shoot down a jet, but that that's just chance

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I think you missed my point. I do not know who flew when the mission was live, but such losses, such as 25 F-15s, etc., when such a huge arsenal of multiple times better equipment is present, indicates that the blue team was not of particularly high or even average skill.

A well organised blue team, with what they have as equipment will stomp red, with no chance for red.

Maybe there other factors I don't know about, but just looking at it from an objective point of view, one team's equipment is multiple times more advanced. Yeah, everything can happen in the air and a prop plane can shoot down a jet, but that that's just chance

I get your point now. Yeah, the Blue GCI and I had a debriefing after the mission and they told me their fighters weren't really sticking to the plan and were spamming AMRAAM's from afar to maybe get one kill. Not very sensible and unlike what the mission is supposed to be like. But that's ok. I didn't expect more than that to be honest. Certainly not after the first time.

The average DCS multiplayer ain't necessarily about reading the briefing and doing things by the book thoroughly. However, I'm trying with this mission to get the attention of those who are maybe looking for such a scenario were teamwork and dedication really become decisive and are a factor to win it.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Any way we could dump the Fox3’s, they are such party poopers.

I got hit twice after getting the targets first, and was turning away from the area when something bit me. The pit bull tracking had probably started.

Edited by NELLUS

DEVILS - COLD WAR AVIATORS

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]