Aligning AB detent and Throttle Calibration (How to)

MustangSally

I thought I'd create a separate thread so it doesn't get lost among other subjects.

You will need to run Simappro to set it up and activate. Once you activate you can close it as the detent values get written to the device. You also need multiple entries if you fly more than one aircraft. When you change aircraft you will have to open Simappro and change activations.

IMPORTANT - Ensure you calibrate the throttle and the afterburner prior to doing this..

* Throttle is calibrated from idle through the A/B detent to max

* Afterburner is calibrated from idle to the A/B detent

* Also ensure that Afterburner detent is off in DCS settings

1. Move throttle until AB deploys - in game (enter DCS, do a quick flight, sit behind the A/C in external view (or check in cockpit) and move your throttle until the A/B lights? Alt tab out and do the maths below)

2. In Simappro write down the value of RX and RY (They should be pretty close to the same)

3. Calculate 1-(Rx / 65535) .....you can use Ry if you like

4. Click "Set Afterburner Ratio"

5. "Add" the aircraft, eg F-18 or F-16 (call them what you like) and set the percentage to the number from 3.

6. Hit "Activate"

Edited by MustangSally
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Hi mate, very useful, thanks, but reading that, I am confused about exactly what is happening in points 3 & 5?

In 3, you divide the RX value by 65535 and then subtract this from 1.....Yes? What does " you can use RY if you like" mean ? That you can use either value as they are likely to be very similar?

In 5, "set the percentage to the number from 3" .....what does this mean? The number you generated subtracting from 1 in point 3?

Sorry for the questions, I have been wanting to get this properly set up on mine for ages, but am not clear in my head from the description.....

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Hi mate, very useful, thanks, but reading that, I am confused about exactly what is happening in points 3 & 5?

In 3, you divide the RX value by 65535 and then subtract this from 1.....Yes? Yes

What does " you can use RY if you like" mean ? That you can use either value as they are likely to be very similar? Yes

In 5, "set the percentage to the number from 3" .....what does this mean? The number you generated subtracting from 1 in point 3? If you get say .78945 then that is 79% - (round it up)

Sorry for the questions, I have been wanting to get this properly set up on mine for ages, but am not clear in my head from the description.....

No probs...hope it's a bit clearer for you.

Edited by MustangSally

Yes thanks, done it and set at 76%....which is absolutely right on the detent handily......where did your end up? As we are matching the in game AB to the throttle, not moving the in game AB to match the detent....

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

• 4 weeks later...
I thought I'd create a separate thread so it doesn't get lost among other subjects.

I found this on the Winwing Discord channel as a pinned message by a user called Arianvp.....many thanks to you.

You will need to run Simappro to set it up and activate. Once you activate you can close it as the detent values get written to the device. You also need multiple entries if you fly more than one aircraft. When you change aircraft you will have to open Simappro and change activations.

IMPORTANT - Ensure you calibrate the throttle and the afterburner prior to doing this

1. Move throttle until AB deploys - in game

2. In Simappro write down the value of RX and RY (They should be pretty close to the same)

3. Calculate 1-(Rx / 65535) .....you can use Ry if you like

4. Click "Set Afterburner Ratio"

5. "Add" the aircraft, eg F-18 or F-16 (call them what you like) and set the percentage to the number from 3.

6. Hit "Activate"

7. Enjoy. Arianvp required 82% whereas I required 78%

Forgive me for the confusion:

My Rx Axis at afterburner lighting: 11296.

I subtracted 11296 from 65535 which equals 54239. Using https://www.calculator.net/percent-calculator.html 54239 is 82.763% of 65535. Should I round that out to 83%?

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

Forgive me for the confusion:

My Rx Axis at afterburner lighting: 11296

So I divide 11296 by 65535, which equals 0.17236591134. Subtract this from 1 (11296) and the result is 11295.8276341. Where from this value is my percentage?

1 - 0.1724 (rounded) = 0.8276, as a percentage that’s 82.76%, round that up to 83% and there you go

Try it on 82% jump into game and check. If you enter A/B tad early then set it to 83

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up to this thread, I notice when I enter 82% in the Winwing App for AB Ratio, when I'm in DCS I can move the throttle a good 3-4mm before the in game throttle moves at all. Is this correct? When I have it set to the default AB ratio of 75%, it moves immediately.

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

• 6 months later...

I am bringing this back in relation to my query just posted. Having checked this as part of my efforts to sort my issue, my number is 79%

However, this does not match at all to the physical detent on the throttle. It is a good 20mm BEFORE the physical AB detent on the taurus and this means you have effectively lost all the travel from that point onwards. Which is no good. 

How can you make it so the physical detent on the Taurus matches when DCS starts the AB? 

10 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

I am bringing this back in relation to my query just posted. Having checked this as part of my efforts to sort my issue, my number is 79%

However, this does not match at all to the physical detent on the throttle. It is a good 20mm BEFORE the physical AB detent on the taurus and this means you have effectively lost all the travel from that point onwards. Which is no good. 

How can you make it so the physical detent on the Taurus matches when DCS starts the AB? 

I don't understand? A few posts above you stated that all was fine and now it isn't?

Apologies, I should have updated yesterday, when I posted this, it was prior to discovering that the RPM can vary depending on the height your jet is at and that was leading me to think I had an issue, where I did not. When I recalibrated correctly, it appears to be as it should. thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Mustang.

Well, I followed your helpful tutorial above to the T, but nothing changes for me in DCS. In fact, if I change the ratio to all kinds of more extreme percentages, still nothing changes in DCS. I am definitely hitting 'activate' as well. Any ideas?

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

On 9/6/2021 at 9:02 AM, wilbur81 said:

Hey Mustang.

Well, I followed your helpful tutorial above to the T, but nothing changes for me in DCS. In fact, if I change the ratio to all kinds of more extreme percentages, still nothing changes in DCS. I am definitely hitting 'activate' as well. Any ideas?

Are you leaving the winwing software running or are you shutting it down?

System: Ryzen 5900x, G.Skill 3600 32GB, MSI 4090 suprim liquid X, samsung odyssey+ headset 

You don't need it running

Have you calibrated your throttle and A/B detent??

16 hours ago, MustangSally said:

You don't need it running

Have you calibrated your throttle and A/B detent??

Correct, I turn off SimApp after calibrating. And yes, I have calibrated both the throttle and detent multiple times per your instructions. Does every new update of SAPro require a new calibration you think?

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• 3 months later...

Yeh,
This whole proceedure was as clear-as-mud to me.  My problem is that the detent, was actually working out of the box, but as soon as I did my first calibration it stopped.
Both my throttles entered a/b at slightly different rates... all I could do was observe the engines in-game visually to see when they kicked in.  One throttle was around 11671 and the other at 11887.  Then I got another number I averaged both out at around 11560.  So my calculation was around 82 - 83% mark.

But thats still got me confused as hell.  Cos the A/B detent doesnt even register on my throttle no matter how many times I calibrate it.  The afterburners kick in before the throttles get to the detent, The blue lines indicating throttle position in the software hit the top of the throttle marks before they go through the detent physically.  Nothing registers in the Z or RZ axis registers in that zoom curve area (Not sure which axis the detents use).

I thought that was the point of having a detent!  To get them to fire once you enter it.  But, nothing.

So I'm as confused as anything.  Bit disappointed in this software.  Hope they update it one day to fix all the bugs and make it easier to setup.

Thanks

David

• 1 month later...

I seem to be ok with the afterburner portion of the calibration, but what about the idle cutoff detent? Is there a way to bring the sim throttles into cutoff like the physical levers do? Because that fancy gate with the lifts seems to be a waste if it doesn't function as it should in game. Am I just calibrated wrong? Does this function actually work?

16 hours ago, Harley said:

I seem to be ok with the afterburner portion of the calibration, but what about the idle cutoff detent? Is there a way to bring the sim throttles into cutoff like the physical levers do? Because that fancy gate with the lifts seems to be a waste if it doesn't function as it should in game. Am I just calibrated wrong? Does this function actually work?

When you move the throttle back to idle cutoff there is a BUTTON that is triggered.  I'm assuming you're using the F-16 throttle grips.  Pull the throttle back to the idle detent, set the binding to assign to THROTTLE OFF then pull the throttle back to idle cutoff.   Then set the binding to assign to THROTTLE IDLE and move it back forward over the cutoff detent.  Note that these are BUTTON bindings, not under the AXIS menu.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, rob10 said:

When you move the throttle back to idle cutoff there is a BUTTON that is triggered.  I'm assuming you're using the F-16 throttle grips.  Pull the throttle back to the idle detent, set the binding to assign to THROTTLE OFF then pull the throttle back to idle cutoff.   Then set the binding to assign to THROTTLE IDLE and move it back forward over the cutoff detent.  Note that these are BUTTON bindings, not under the AXIS menu.

He's using the Taurus....F/A-18

• Thanks 1

So I tried what you are saying, believe me, I thought of that. But the problem I see is that the 1 and 2 buttons in the SimApp Pro program don't even light up anymore. It's like it doesn't know there are cutoff buttons. The throttle will cross the entire band, but the cutoff doesn't register.

2 pictures below. One is at idle, against the stop, and the other is in cutoff. Before I calibrated it, they lit up. After, not anymore. No amount of times I've tried to recalibrate it have brought them back to life, and resetting defaults didn't either. Just looking for ideas for what to try next among those with more experience with this setup.

20220216_093310.jpg

20220216_093225.jpg

1 hour ago, rob10 said:

By that, I assume that yes, cutoff works on these throttles for everyone else. I'm in a club of 1 that nobody wants to join. Ah well.

• 2 months later...

I'm not grasping how to set the AB. It's off in the F16. I'll get within about an inch to full mill and it jumps to full AB. It doesn't seem to matter what the % is that I set in simapppro. yes, I've calibrated both RX and RY and AB.  

Your Search-Fu is far better than mine!