Aligning AB detent and Throttle Calibration (How to)

MustangSally

9 hours ago, strike277 said:

I'm not grasping how to Did you go in gameset the AB. It's off in the F16. I'll get within about an inch to full mill and it jumps to full AB. It doesn't seem to matter what the % is that I set in simapppro. yes, I've calibrated both RX and RY and AB.  

Did you enter DCS, do a quick flight, sit behind the A/C in external view and move your throttle until the A/B lights? Alt tab out and do the maths

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

Looking for some help please. Just got my new F16 throttle today and managed to do most of the bindings correctly including getting the afterburner to light at the correct place with the detent. 

However the engine is idling at 75% and hence trying to taxi the jet is a nightmare. Can some point me in the correct direction please. 

NOW RESOLVED. 

Edited by Nuggetz

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

@NuggetzWould you mind sharing how you resolved your issue? I'm sure it could help others out.

32GB (4x8) DDR4 2400 | Intel Core i-7 8700 4.6 GHz | MSI ATX Pro Z-370-A | GeForce 2070RTX Super Founder's Edition
WinWing Orion 2 Hotas w/ Hornet Throttle and Stick grips | HP Reverb G2 | BenQ 21" 60Hz | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro
Hornet driver, Blue Angel enthusiast, Tomcat stan

I have the F18 Throttle and getting the calibration right took me a few tries. Mine came to 75 for the F18. Where are you having issues?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |

If you follow the calibration procedure on the first page, you'll only have to do it once.

Thank you for your reply. 

I was unfamiliar with the SimAppPro and eventually I figured out the calibration procedure so that the idle and afterburner are set correctly. 

calibrating each axis Rx and Ry over the throttle full range including the afterburner portion of movement sets the range. Setting the afterburner detent at 78-80% approximately should be a good place to start then using F2 view in DCS allows you to see when the afterburner kicks in to allow you to fine tune the exact point. HTH

Edited by Nuggetz
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 5950X, MSI  RTX 3080TI, 1 TB SSD, 64GB 3600 MHZ DDR4 RAM, Pimax Crystal and 8KX KDMAS. WINWING F16EX Throttle: FSSB-R3-MKII ULTRA Base/TMWH Joystick: DCS: F16C

Thanks all. I wasn't having an issue. Just curious if @Nuggetz had solved some issue that hadn't been described yet. If he had, I figured it would be helpful if he shared it. I find all the discussion on these help threads useful when I'm trouble shooting.

Followed @MustangSally's instructions (thank you) + some additional testing/tweaking, but I've got my AB set now (don't recall off the top of my head right now, but I think it was around 80%).

Edited by Brother_Leb
  • Like 1

32GB (4x8) DDR4 2400 | Intel Core i-7 8700 4.6 GHz | MSI ATX Pro Z-370-A | GeForce 2070RTX Super Founder's Edition
WinWing Orion 2 Hotas w/ Hornet Throttle and Stick grips | HP Reverb G2 | BenQ 21" 60Hz | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I used a slight variation to the approach.

Rather than try and use F2 and looking for the AB to ignite, I went into options (from the main menu) and under the special options for the FA-18 I set the AB detent setting to always on. What this did was stopped the throttles from moving into afterburner in the game. I then moved the Winwing throttles forward until I found the exact point where the cockpit throttles stopped moving (as the cockpit throttles were locked out by the AB detent). I then took the axis values and followed the remainder of the approach and maths used by others to set the AB % in SimAppPro. Once done, I went back into the main menu special settings for the FA-18 and turned the Afterburner detent back to always off.

I ended up with a setting of 74% using this method.

Edited by EXPENDTripwire
  • Like 2

• MustangSally changed the title to Aligning AB detent and Throttle Calibration (How to)

This appears to show a way to get your physical detent position, to match your in-game afterburner (with some minor sacrifices).

I believe carrying out these steps in conjunction with OP steps, we could have a detent that physically aligns with the in-game afterburner, and with Winwing software detent.

Edited by Mossy

2 hours ago, Mossy said:

This appears to show a way to get your physical detent position, to match your in-game afterburner (with some minor sacrifices).

That has nothing to do with this thread!!

On 5/19/2022 at 11:15 AM, EXPENDTripwire said:

I used a slight variation to the approach.

Rather than try and use F2 and looking for the AB to ignite, I went into options (from the main menu) and under the special options for the FA-18 I set the AB detent setting to always on. What this did was stopped the throttles from moving into afterburner in the game. I then moved the Winwing throttles forward until I found the exact point where the cockpit throttles stopped moving (as the cockpit throttles were locked out by the AB detent). I then took the axis values and followed the remainder of the approach and maths used by others to set the AB % in SimAppPro. Once done, I went back into the main menu special settings for the FA-18 and turned the Afterburner detent back to always off.

I ended up with a setting of 74% using this method.

I thought this was very clever (and thank you for posting) and tried it. got 75%, but that did not match the behavior of the AB sounds, effects by watching the engines, or the thrust the plane appeared to be getting (using this method the plane entered AB long before the detent). Now, I freely admit I may have done it wrong, but nevertheless, I went back to the original method from the OP (with some tweaking), which puts me around 83%. That's a really big swing and I'm curious if ppl who know the Hornet engineering (or ED's modeling) better might know why that would be? To clarify, why would there be such a big discrepancy between modeled throttle position in cockpit and engine behavior?

Edited by Brother_Leb

Well, here's what it looks like when I have the throttle set to 84%:

OP method.jpg

Here's what I get when I go based on the AB always on method (I'll give the numbers so you can check my math if you want):

RX: 16257 -> 1 - (16257/65535) = 0.75193408102 rounding that is 75%
RY: 16230 -> 1- (16230/65535) = 0.75234607461 rounding that is 75%

And when I set the throttle to 75% I get this:

Always On method.jpg

The thottle position marker is slightly below the AB line. So I guess I was confused before. Nevertheless, it's off.

Realizing that I had an AB ratio set when I tried it the first time, I recalibrated in SimAppPro, set the AB ratio to 100% before taking down any numbers and repeated the process:

RX: 16763 -> 1 - (16741/65535) = 0.74454871442 rounding that is 74%
RY: 16563 -> 1- (16910/65535) = 0.74196993972 rounding that is 74%

Setting the the AB ratio in SimApp pro to 74% after all that, I get this:

From 100.jpg

Which is nearly identical to when I had it set for 82%. . . So now I'm just confused.

This is the throttle position it takes to get the cans to light by looking at them at 7830 ASL (which is quite a ways through the detent):

Cans.jpg

So, I guess at the end of it all @EXPENDTripwire I suppose it doesn't matter too much to me one way or the other, I'll just set it to my preference, BUT is it normal to have to push through the detent so far to select AB?

Thanks for even caring!

Edited by Brother_Leb

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this guide BUT in Step 1 It is wrong to check the time AB deploys by watching for the moment the AB lights in external view!

The reason is simply because the AB deploys a little bit earlier. I am referring to the F16 throttle. The afterburner deploys when you lift the grip in the AB area. You can hear the "Boom" and you see the dramatic change on the Fuel Flow. At this moment the AB remains Off (no light) in external view.

It is wiser to find the right throttle position in the cockpit view. Move very slowly your throttle until you see it touching the end (MIL position) of the main rail (IDLE to MIL) in the cockpit view. It is the position just before the lifting of the grip (AB detent). This is the position you should write down the value of RX or RY In Simappro. The rest of the procedure remains the same. For me the afterburner ratio was 75% and it works just perfect!

works fine for me

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2022 at 7:27 PM, Harley said:

By that, I assume that yes, cutoff works on these throttles for everyone else. I'm in a club of 1 that nobody wants to join. Ah well.

I have the same issue. Did you ever resolve it?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600

MB: B450M Pro4

RAM: 16Gb DDR4

SSD: 500GB

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 8GB

4 hours ago, Todd1215 said:

I have the same issue. Did you ever resolve it?

I sorted it for him. The issue was that he wasn't calibrating correctly and hadn't assigned the idle/off button presses 

Edited by MustangSally

20 hours ago, MustangSally said:

I sorted it for him. The issue was that he wasn't calibrating correctly and hadn't assigned the idle/off button presses 

What did you explain to him? Is it purely calibrating the AB detent and keeping SimApp Pro running? I assume SimApp Pro sends an event via the lua script since the Orion2 has no physical OFF button for the throttle. I hate having to run extra apps just for things like this.

EDIT:

I figured it out. Had to calibrate the throttle just with IDLE/MIL/AB. Only then did the IDLE position reflect the proper in game position

Edited by Todd1215

6 hours ago, Todd1215 said:

I assume SimApp Pro sends an event via the lua script since the Orion2 has no physical OFF button for the throttle. I hate having to run extra apps just for things like this.

Not sure you figured this part out or not, but if you don't care if A/G and AA lighting stays synced (and don't have the F-16 rumble option), there is no need to leaving the Simappro app running once you have the throttle set up the way you want.  Leaving it running may cause a hit to your FPS in DCS unless you do some of the edits you can find in this subforum.

7 hours ago, Todd1215 said:

What did you explain to him? Is it purely calibrating the AB detent and keeping SimApp Pro running? I assume SimApp Pro sends an event via the lua script since the Orion2 has no physical OFF button for the throttle. I hate having to run extra apps just for things like this.

EDIT:

I figured it out. Had to calibrate the throttle just with IDLE/MIL/AB. Only then did the IDLE position reflect the proper in game position

....and if you had read the first post in this thread and followed the instructions, you wouldn't have had an issue

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MustangSally said:

....and if you had read the first post in this thread and followed the instructions, you wouldn't have had an issue

I did read the first post, well kind of skimmed through it, but wasn't really sure what the issue was so just glossed over it.

• 1 month later...

So this maybe a stupid question but I am not sure. When looking at the AC externally at what point is the AB considered started? I calibrated per the instructions on page 1 and when I put it to MIL power, I get  slight blue flame. If I push through the AB detent the flame kicks up. So Should MIL power have flame? Thanks in advance.

Use the cockpit view of the throttle lever if you like....set the lever at the stop (in the cockpit) and use that