Aligning AB detent and Throttle Calibration (How to)

MustangSally

It is just a pain that when you play a different plane, you have to go out and open simapp pro to activate that jet... Just wondering if WinWing can get that programmed better. like when we change plane, the program automatically changes the AB detent you set for that plane. 😄

MSI MPG Z390I Gaming Edge ACMSI RTX4090 Gaming X Trio 24G OCIntel I9-9900K32GB DDR4 Kingston Hyper X + Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate + Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + WinWing Orion 2 F-16EX Viper Joystick + WinWing Orion 2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle with Finger Lifts + MFG Crosswind Pedals + Pico 4 + HP Reverb G2 + Track IR5 Tobii Eye Tracker 5 + LG 34GN850-B Monitor 

• 5 months later...
On 10/6/2022 at 1:05 AM, StarVenger said:

It is just a pain that when you play a different plane, you have to go out and open simapp pro to activate that jet... Just wondering if WinWing can get that programmed better. like when we change plane, the program automatically changes the AB detent you set for that plane. 😄

There's a simple solution - calibrate the jet to your throttle and leave simap pro with the same settings for all of them.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:15 AM, Scott-S6 said:

There's a simple solution - calibrate the jet to your throttle and leave simap pro with the same settings for all of them.

Yes, of course, the simplest method is, still, to set it in the game using the curves and just leave SIMAPP PRO. Although, the quickest way to do it is to use SIMAPP PRO with the caveat of just going out of DCS for a bit and then changing it over the program when you change planes.

Again, this will just circle back to the issue of "IF ONLY" SIMAPP PRO can be programmed better. If it can sync the lights, surely, it could remember the throttle detents of the many planes in the game too 😄

This is just me though.

MSI MPG Z390I Gaming Edge ACMSI RTX4090 Gaming X Trio 24G OCIntel I9-9900K32GB DDR4 Kingston Hyper X + Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle + VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate + Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + WinWing Orion 2 F-16EX Viper Joystick + WinWing Orion 2 F/A-18 Hornet Throttle with Finger Lifts + MFG Crosswind Pedals + Pico 4 + HP Reverb G2 + Track IR5 Tobii Eye Tracker 5 + LG 34GN850-B Monitor 

• 1 month later...

I'm having trouble calibrating the Orion 2. I don't have the finger lift kit (long story) and the Orion 2 has no physical detents. This makes it very hard to judge off, idle, max mil and AB positions. I tried calibrating the RY axis and now the software detents seem to be messed up. Moving the axis all the way back used to trigger button 2. Now it seems stuck in 31 and I'm not sure how to reset that button, which is pretty important, as it is the detent for off. In DCS, the max throttle setting for both engines seemed to be 96%, so even though AB was triggered, it didn't seem to get to max AB.

Can someone please explain this as if I was a 5 year old?

Apologies in advance and thanks.

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED

Edited by Jarhead0331

• 4 weeks later...

doesnt work fo the f15e, set it at 70 to 90 and the AB range does not do anything when I hit activate, the box turns green but that is it.. did the cal 

I9-9900k, 32MB, RTX2070S, 2560x1440 165hz monitor, track IR, Grass Monkey wireless Puck, Virpil T50-CM3,  Winwing Superlibra stick with Hornet and Viper grip, Winwing Orion2 with Hornet, and F15E grip, Winwing PTO, home made 2060 mounts,  Virpill ACE interceptor pedals

8 hours ago, Jeb said:

doesnt work fo the f15e, set it at 70 to 90 and the AB range does not do anything when I hit activate, the box turns green but that is it.. did the cal 

Pretty sure it does as he AB setup is the same as the Hornet. I'll check tonight.

Btw, make sure the A/B detent is off in DCS settings

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2021 at 3:02 PM, wilbur81 said:

Hey Mustang.

Well, I followed your helpful tutorial above to the T, but nothing changes for me in DCS. In fact, if I change the ratio to all kinds of more extreme percentages, still nothing changes in DCS. I am definitely hitting 'activate' as well. Any ideas?

Was this ever solved? I have the exact same issue. Throttles are calibrated and everything else seem to be working. A/B detent is off in settings as well. Setting the afterburner ratio in SimApp Pro seems to have absolutely no effect at all in game, even with extreme values on either ends.

Edited by Amenvafaan

On 9/20/2020 at 1:37 AM, MustangSally said:

IMPORTANT - Ensure you calibrate the throttle and the afterburner prior to doing this..

* Throttle is calibrated from idle through the A/B detent to max

* Afterburner is calibrated from idle to the A/B detent

Hi, can anybody tell me where I find the "A/B detent" in the DCS settings?

Another thing... 

I understand correctly that when calibrating the Throttle, I should move both levers, together, from IDLE to the full AB position, and that when calibrating A/B I should move each lever, one at a time, from IDLE to the position where the AB should activate and not in the FULL AB position ? 

Thanks 

5 hours ago, MustangSally said:

detent.jpg

Thanks !

I see that in the F-15E, M200 and F-14 there is no option like that..

In the F-15E and M2000 there is a slider, I suppose I should put that value to 0 ?

In the F-14 there is an option called "Enable Afterburner Gate", should this option be disabled ?

Don't  know mate, only fly the F-15 & F-18 as far as fixed wing aircraft are concerned

• 1 month later...

I mount my AB detent on the Orion 2 to full forward position. I go in game and test, at which throttle position on the Orion does the F-18C AB light up in game. It happens before my throttles even hit the detent. SimApp reading is 11300 at the Orion AB detent, but AB lights up in game at 16400  So I should rather pull back the detent a bit, shouldn't I?

I'm not sure I understand how the AB can/should be set in SimAppPro, as I do not see any change, whichever value I set and activate there. The light blue lines showing the throttle position goes up and down just the same.

What am I missing? Thanks !

I've recently bought the Orion 2 with F-16 Throttle grip and I got an issue with the idle position: When I go to the idle detent on the grip the throttle inside DCS is not at idle but about ~5% thrust.

Checking the physical idle detent in SimApp Pro it is at about Rx 63103 and Ry 63070 ("about" because honestly the construction has some play here and there and with that big lever depending on the force applied you are somewhat bound to slight variations in the values as the sensors are so accurate). It also shows as about 5% blue bar in the travel range of the throttle on the test page.

Since the throttle has a range of 0 to 65535 that means it's about 96% closed which aligns with my observation that inside the sim at idle it gives about 5% thrust.

So... how do I fix this?

I already attempted to calibrated the X and Y axis from idle to full AB but the values do not change at all.

You are supposed to click on calibrate X and Y axis and then move the throttle thru the entire range from idle to max AB several times then click on complete calibration. It does nothing for the values at the idle detent... 🤨

Always having 5% thrust is kinda "hard" in the F-16 as it makes taxing and slowing down after landing more difficult.

When you calibrated, you did NOT go all the way into OFF, right? First you need to pull to Idle and click OK, then calibration move 3 times between Idle and MAX (all the way to end of AB), then separate AB detent callibraton goes from IDLE to MIL. For me, Idle is 65535.

• Like 1

Okay... I'm officially stupid... I calibrated X and Y axis when I should have calibrated Rx and Ry... yea... okay solved. 😶🫥

I even wrote Rx and Ry and then wrote calibrating X and Y... man I really am off the rails...

Edited by Ishigami

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/17/2023 at 4:02 PM, Razor18 said:

I mount my AB detent on the Orion 2 to full forward position. I go in game and test, at which throttle position on the Orion does the F-18C AB light up in game. It happens before my throttles even hit the detent. SimApp reading is 11300 at the Orion AB detent, but AB lights up in game at 16400  So I should rather pull back the detent a bit, shouldn't I?

I'm not sure I understand how the AB can/should be set in SimAppPro, as I do not see any change, whichever value I set and activate there. The light blue lines showing the throttle position goes up and down just the same.

What am I missing? Thanks !

Did you ever figure this one out? I'm still at a loss. The AB detent option seems have absolutely zero effect in game. Doesn't matter if i put it at 10% or 95%, the AB still always lights in the same exact spot (Annoyingly before hitting my detent...)

1 hour ago, Amenvafaan said:

Did you ever figure this one out? I'm still at a loss. The AB detent option seems have absolutely zero effect in game. Doesn't matter if i put it at 10% or 95%, the AB still always lights in the same exact spot (Annoyingly before hitting my detent...)

Did you follow ALL the directions in the 1st post EXACTLY?  There is no reason for it not to work if you did.  Triple check if it's not working, because if you screw up one of the steps it won't work. 

1st thing I would check is if you moved the throttle to the correct spots when calibrating throttle and A/B.  Then check that you got the right numbers for when the A/B was activating so you could calculate % properly.

Incorrect calibration and or A/B detent turned on in DCS settings