[result] rtx 3080 for VR

dg6546

1852x2056 per eye. I don't care about how much % there is and it is clearly under 4K resolution.

Sorry, but I don't believe that SteamVR at 100% says 1852x2056 for the orignal Vive even allowing for some distortion factor.. The %age is important as you keep quoting 150%, at least I assume that's what you mean when you say 1.5. SS levels are critical to performance.

What does 4K have to do with anything?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I still dont understand why your CPU frametimes are so out of whack... also when you say you disabled HT , i think you did this via Process Lasso, because the CPU's are still showing up just not being used .. try doing it in firmware (UEFI/BIOS)... what does your exports.lua have in it?

Same here, after this thread / video (thanks by the way, I guess many people like me were waiting for this !) I started a little tweaking again (including even cleaning my GPU cooler :lol:) yesterday since I basically have the same setup as OP had (Zotac 1080 Ti, same CPU, RAM, ...).

I also tried Process Lasso again (did that several times but it never worked out) and my performance was about 5-15fps less. So I removed it like I did so often before and DCS actually runs better somehow. My CPU times are usually about ~15ms, so I wonder why his are so bad.

Went on PGAW yesterday with about 30 people on and had a fpsVR average of 42fps at 150% SS SteamVR on my Index (with Shadow mod).

Initially I was willing to spent the "big" money on the 3090 but after seeing these (first) results of the 3080 this seems like an even bigger waste (especially for DCS!) than I thought. Might end up waiting on the 20GB version of the RTX 3080

Same here, after this thread / video (thanks by the way, I guess many people like me were waiting for this !) I started a little tweaking again (including even cleaning my GPU cooler :lol:) yesterday since I basically have the same setup as OP had (Zotac 1080 Ti, same CPU, RAM, ...).

I also tried Process Lasso again (did that several times but it never worked out) and my performance was about 5-15fps less. So I removed it like I did so often before and DCS actually runs better somehow. My CPU times are usually about ~15ms, so I wonder why his are so bad.

Went on PGAW yesterday with about 30 people on and had a fpsVR average of 42fps at 150% SS SteamVR on my Index (with Shadow mod).

Initially I was willing to spent the "big" money on the 3090 but after seeing these (first) results of the 3080 this seems like an even bigger waste (especially for DCS!) than I thought. Might end up waiting on the 20GB version of the RTX 3080

shadow mod?

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Just tune your Rig, it's not rocket science. There's no single setting to make it all better. A 1080Ti FTW3 with some added OC is sufficient for 45 - 75 FPS or better in a Reverb G1 with a great view and detail. Including MP and SP. If you're not there, you've got more tuning to do.

(and no damn shaders mod needed)

No, 100% SS does not mean exact resolution. Programatic warping is added to fit the lens optics.

Edited by Thudster

(1AF) "THUD" | 55th FS

Joint Task Force 1 | Discord

No, 100% SS does not mean exact resolution. Programatic warping is added to fit the lens optics.

On the Reverb - and I'm sure the Index as well IIRC - 100% does pretty much mean exact res. Not so on other mostly older HMDs.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

@kilux How do you measure CPU frametimes? RTSS only tells me about GPU

fpsVR

shadow mod?

I think he means 'shader mod'.

I think he means 'shader mod'.

No, not the shader mod, Mustang's flat shadows removal mod ... here

(Basically it allows cockpit shadows and shadows around your plane, like on the ground but removes mostly all other shadows)

Edited by kilux

No, not the shader mod, Mustang's flat shadows removal mod ... here

(Basically it allows cockpit shadows and shadows around your plane, like on the ground but removes mostly all other shadows)

Ah ok. Apologies for that.

after i read all of this ... it appears the real bottle neck is DCS 3D engine.

tha is very much disappointing as i also wanted to upgrade my gfx card from 1080ti to a 3080 or even a 3090 to get better fps in VR (Pimax) ...

that is really sad

• Like 1

My custom made aircraft skins and other content for DCS World!

WIN 10  / 64Gb RAM DDR4 @ 4000mhz / i9-10900KF @ 5.3ghz / NVIDIA GeForce 3090 RTX / SSD Samsung EVO 970 / VIRPIL / MFG Crosswind / Pimax 5k+ 

after i read all of this ... it appears the real bottle neck is DCS 3D engine.

tha is very much disappointing as i also wanted to upgrade my gfx card from 1080ti to a 3080 or even a 3090 to get better fps in VR (Pimax) ...

that is really sad

whilst the engine is an issue... if you look at the OP's original post they are getting 80-90FPS, over ground in VR on pretty high settings ... that's pretty good

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thank you for this thread. The CPU graph in the multiplayer section says it all (around 12:15 in the vid). No amount of GPU upgrades will ever make DCS run well in VR:

YaRqS14.png

This is a very typical result for me with a Reverb. My CPU times are almost double my GPU times. And I often see 45fps, sometimes a bit more, or less.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

generally speaking your frame rate is inhibited by the lower of the 2... to achieve 90fps you need both to be below 11.1ms

made slightly more complex by motion vectoring/smoothing which gives you a very smooth 45 fps (it feels like 90 but with a bit of lag) if you can keep it under 22.2ms for the GPU, providing your CPU can keep up . however if your CPU is over 11.1ms there is no similar "coping mechanism" for the CPU ... which means you get erratic frame rates, and juddering performance etc...

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Your cpu times are between 2 and 3 times mine for the same processor

Yeah its odd, I'm wondering what is going on there in that case, though if your frame times are like under 10ms your FPS must be 90?

I'm using fairly modest settings for VR similar or a bit lower than yours aside from trees and grass, I actually dropped them recently for syria without much improvement. Both for DCS settings like shadows/water/pre-load and vis. And then I took SteamSS to basically native res. My Nvida settings were a bit different and I changed them to your specs, but it seems like those would effect the GPU not CPU.

TBH even at 45 it looks smooth for me, even in the 30's is "ok".

The only thing I can think of is the recent MS update which "seemed" like it did something to eat frames, or one of the recent SteamVr updates but thats all I got. I wasn't using FPSVR prior to that, so I'm not sure if my CPU times were all that much better prior.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

no because i am GPU limited ... 1080ti

check you idle cpu times, im running at between 2 and 3% ... one of the bugger culprits was iCue but there are others

then make sure that exports.lua is not full of stuff you don't need etc... if have exports for VoiceAttack and for Tac view and nothing else.

autoexec has no_device_hotplug = true

i would normally recommend turning of HT but as you have the same proc that's definitely not your problem.

You might want to check out your CPU thermals ... in case its throttling

just some thoughts

Can I just say that you don't need to worry about having your PC set up correctly - it's child's play to set up a PC these days. I did the VR runaround when I first got my Reverb, and realised that the vast majority of suggestions are placebo. Note that I come from a benchmarking background, which I made a career out for 20 years. Not boasting, just saying I know how to set up and test hardware of all kinds.

The fact is that DCS is CPU limited in situations with complex scenery, lots of shadows, more AI, and other units. I don't think there is a fix for this until we see 7GHz CPUs, as ED is not going to be able to deliver a Vulkan port for many years. Even when they do, it does not guarantee more than a 10% increase.

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Even when they do, it does not guarantee more than a 10% increase.

Whoa there? Where did you get this from?

If it's only a 10% increase - that doesn't seem to be a lot for hanging on the edge of our seats for, nor something worth investing years of development into.

Are you're saying someone getting 45fps could only hope to get 50fps on the same setup going to Vulcan after all that effort and work by ED (and the waiting for us)? :cry:

Whoa there? Where did you get this from?

If it's only a 10% increase - that doesn't seem to be a lot for hanging on the edge of our seats for, nor something worth investing years of development into.

Are you're saying someone getting 45fps could only hope to get 50fps on the same setup going to Vulcan after all that effort and work by ED (and the waiting for us)? :cry:

From the vast majority of other engines that use Vulkan, especially those that are ported from DX10/11. Even worse, ED just said in an interview that it's going to take a long time for Vulkan to come out, and we all know what that means.

So, I reckon our best bet is a quick fix on the shadows, which we can already do ourselves, or wait for 6 and 7 GHz CPUs. I'm not giving up hope entirely, my 3090 is due to arrive on Monday, and I will be testing DCS in VR with it, but I do not expect any miracles.

Edited by GunSlingerAUS

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Not sure if anyone's seen this. Might be worth a watch before buying to make sure you purchase one with the better components...

cross posting to try and calm the horde:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4501330&postcount=458

As far as I'm aware there is currently only one flight sim engine that has made the transition from Dx11 to Vulkan or Dx12. Given the rather significant yields, and the rather significant differences in performance flight sims already see from other categories of engines, we should probably reserve judgement until after at least a second engine has gone low level.

Honestly, given that flight sims are generally extremely CPU limited in a way that conventional AAA titles are not, and the Villain and Dx12 are explicitly about off loading the CPU, I'd expect flight sims to see much more lift that say, a heavily optimized benchmark game, which already runs a 100+ fps even when powered by a five year old toaster oven...