[result] rtx 3080 for VR

dg6546

The thing is here, that these results are not really any better than mine at the moment with my Reverb on a 2080 Ti. I've tried to match his setting as well.

Now, I may have missed something, but his Vive at 150% is pushing 3.9m pixels, whereas my Reverb at 104% (tried for 100% but...) is 9.7m! Almost 3 times as many.

I'm also assuming he is running on the Free Flight Viper Caucasus.

Where does that leave us?

I have the same Palit 2080-Ti as you paired with an 8600K running at 4.8GHz. My graph in the Free Flight Viper Caucasus looks similar in terms of ratios, GPU higher than CPU yet both are higher than yours and I am into reprojection most of the time.

I can only assume your CPU is giving you benefit in both aspects. Given the graphs in the OP are skewed a little towards CPU being a little higher I would have thought there is scope to bring the GPU graph down to CPU levels which would give you a fair bit of headroom to maintain 90.

Until of course you hit the CPU hard in multiplayer etc.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Of course it would help, but below ss1.5 I wouldn't be able to see a single word in my cockpit.

What is the actual resolution output from SteamVR? % value is misleading because 100% in SteamVR SS is not always the native resolution. And I am pretty sure this is the case if you're using the original Vive.

This thread has me thinking the sweet spot from my 1080ti may be a used RTX 2080ti (If I can find one for less than 600) or the 3080. I just recently got my 1080ti a couple weeks back and while I am happy with the performance bump from the 1080 I upgraded from, I still seek more. Though, it doesn't really seem going with a better GPU will even get me the smooth experience I am seeking.

Why would you buy a 2080ti for "under 600" (I presume you mean USD?) when the 3070 will have similar performance for $500? Or, if you want more VRAM than 8GB just wait for the 16GB 3070 version that will come later down the line.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - NVidia RTX 2070S FE - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite - 32GB 3600 CL16 - Samsung 970 EVO NVME

HP Reverb Pro - VKB Gunfighter Mk II + MCG Pro - Virpil Mongoose T-50CM - VKB T-Rudder Pedals

What is the actual resolution output from SteamVR? % value is misleading because 100% in SteamVR SS is not always the native resolution. And I am pretty sure this is the case if you're using the original Vive.

Yes I noticed this too and made a post that largely went ignored.. but on my Odyssey Plus the 100% resolution was not the native res of the headset.. at 100% it was actually higher then native res of the odyssey plus..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

depends on the version of Steam, if it is a recent version then it is pretty close to native at 100%

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

depends on the version of Steam, if it is a recent version then it is pretty close to native at 100%

Doesn't Steam auto update? I'm on SteamVR 1.14.16 and still off by 50%.

% value auto adjusts depending on your system and headset. I have multiple headsets and it's all over the place with same SteamVR version.

it should do; at 100% my Reverb is 2208 x 2160... which is close enough for government work native res

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

it should do; at 100% my Reverb is 2208 x 2160... which is close enough for government work native res

Again, it depends on the system and HMD.

I don't exactly know how Steam calculates % so this is my speculation but from what I'm seeing, people reporting 100% being native resolution are "mostly" Reverb. My guess is that Steam doesn't think Reverb needs upscaling because it's high enough resolution. And keeps its 100% at native.

But other HMD, they boost its default resolution to make it look better for people who don't "tweak". Problem is relabeling this "adjusted" resolution as "100%".

attachment.php?attachmentid=248067&stc=1&d=1600814847

Regardless of personal experience and speculation as to why, the fact is that this exists and 100% is not "always" the native resolution as I originally stated. And why I requested the clarification from the OP. Since he has OG Vive.

SteamVR.thumb.jpg.41a0d885ddd24ec233d3b558f54303d9.jpg

Edited by Taz1004

VR must render additional pixels to compensate for the barrel distortion near the edges caused by using fresnel lenses, so 100% in steam VR is always higher than the number of pixels on the headset LCD. Virtual pixels get squished at the edge of the screen and stretched near the centre.

100% in steam VR is approximately what is required to have 1:1 pixel mapping near the centre of the view. I had a link to an old video from a Valve presentation at the game developers conference several years ago that had a good explanation for this but I am struggling to find it at the moment.

If you go less than 100% in steam VR (e.g. try to match the Steam VR resolution to the headset LCD resolution) then the middle of your view will be under sampled (is that the term for the opposite of "super sampled"?)

VR must render additional pixels to compensate for the barrel distortion near the edges caused by using fresnel lenses, so 100% in steam VR is always higher than the number of pixels on the headset LCD.

Again, not always. Some people as above will tell you 100% is their HMD's native resolution.

I actually adjusted my barrel distortion on Vive Pro after lens swap and is not related to this.

I don't know why people don't want to accept that it "depends"

But regardless, all I wanted to know was what the actual resolution output of OP was when testing.

People are like DCS runs crap, its always going to be slow etc etc.

I don't know what you guys are on about, min 45fps in a 4k headset like the HP G2 sounds pretty awesome to me.

It looks like OP here isn't able to push a 3080 with his current vr headset. Still very interesting to check out and read about and probably informative with people who have and will stick with low res originaly VR headsets. Seemingly not all that relevant to people who have or are getting higher res headsets.

People are like DCS runs crap, its always going to be slow etc etc.

I don't know what you guys are on about, min 45fps in a 4k headset like the HP G2 sounds pretty awesome to me.

It looks like OP here isn't able to push a 3080 with his current vr headset. Still very interesting to check out and read about and probably informative with people who have and will stick with low res originaly VR headsets. Seemingly not all that relevant to people who have or are getting higher res headsets.

To me, 45FPS is very smooth. But it also seems like it's very personal thing as some hate 45 while others, like me, think it's great. OF COURSE 90 is smoother. But 45 is fine too. It doesn't make me sick or anything.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Thank you for this thread. The CPU graph in the multiplayer section says it all (around 12:15 in the vid). No amount of GPU upgrades will ever make DCS run well in VR:

YaRqS14.png

Thank you! Finally someone got the point...

For those who did not notice, there is clip of multiplayer in the later part of the video...

1852x2056 per eye, ~3704x2056

updated in the first thread

For those who did not notice, there is clip of multiplayer in the later part of the video...

Well while what you say is true it really just depends on the objects in the mission. is the mission you are flying in MP Publicly avaialable maybe others can try and to compare..

you could of had players joining the game the time it spiked or alot more objects rezed in. I see you say now someone understands I think we all understand it just that some are more willing to compromise a few things for smoother gameplay..

Yes DCS is not perfect tell me what is? I am always looking for a tweak here and a tweak there but mostly you have to tweak and get it too an acceptable level. IF you like it where it is at and it is not an acceptable elvel well you could always fly something else for a while or until DCS gets better VR performance..

I know the best answer would be for DCS to make adjustments but maybe they can't or it would be such a massive undertaking they can not, IDK but the fact this game even works in VR Pretty decent is really incredible..

I still don't even think vulcan is going to be the golden BB some are expecting. was there another game went vulcan and did not see massive improvements if at all..

I would love to try that MP Mission you have and see what I get in the CPU FT. I would have to run fpsVR and Record the data to see what the average is but I doubt it is as bad as yours..

I would say keep tweaking or just fly as it is. but it really is not too bad for this user in VR.. :pilotfly:

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Test is test and what people take away is their own. I personally don't go on MP server. My wish is to increase SS in VR so this result to me is encouraging.

Thanks for updating the resolution.

steamvr supersampling 1.5 (1852x2056 per eye, ~3704x2056)

There is something not right with the calcs here.

Vive is 1080x1200 per eye which is 1.3m. Applying the SteamVR 150% gives 1.95m. 1852x2056 is 3.8m. That is equivalent to almost 300% SteamVR SS (3.8/1.3).

To the OP, what res does SteamVR state for 100%?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

SteamVR % value doesn't mean anything. It adjusts based on your system and HMD. You always have to go by actual resolution number.

Been saying this for awhile but no one seems to be listening.

Exactly why I asked for the 100% number.

In any case, it doesn’t matter, what we are seeing is an actual 300% (approx) rate based on the pixel count.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Exactly why I asked for the 100% number.

In any case, it doesn’t matter, what we are seeing is an actual 300% (approx) rate based on the pixel count.

1852x2056 per eye. I don't care about how much % there is and it is clearly under 4K resolution.

This version of testing with changes:

1. Process Lasso (disabled hyperthreading, induce performance mode)

2. dcs vr mod https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215373

3. recommended settings in

At this moment, I think I will stop updating. It is just too frustrating for player to tweak game by themselves.

Lowering the Supersampling might help but lower than 150% I can't see anything in my OG vive (and also my tracking is bad due to degraded hmd/station?).

Probably I will test later until my reverb G2 arrives then I can lower SS :D

I think I haven't fly f-18 for half a year... and I know the landing is painful to watch but I am too lazy to record it again xD

Moreover, credits to the guy who shared to hoggit :D

I still dont understand why your CPU frametimes are so out of whack... also when you say you disabled HT , i think you did this via Process Lasso, because the CPU's are still showing up just not being used .. try doing it in firmware (UEFI/BIOS)... what does your exports.lua have in it?

I still dont understand why your CPU frametimes are so out of whack... also when you say you disabled HT , i think you did this via Process Lasso, because the CPU's are still showing up just not being used .. try doing it in firmware (UEFI/BIOS)... what does your exports.lua have in it?

Yes by process lasso. There is not much difference by turning it off in bios. Even I don't see any significant improvement after I have turned off hyperthreading. (Maybe Ryzen users need to do it by avoiding SMT?)

I have emptied out my exports.lua.