FB/Oculus to discontinue Rift S in 2021

dburne

https://vrscout.com/news/facebook-end-sales-of-oculus-rift-s/

RIP Rift.

Loved my CV1 and also my Rift S. Still using my Rift S daily for many hours a week.

They both have done a great job for me and for the longest I was very loyal to Oculus products whilst many of my fellow flight simmers were moving on to others. I also have a Quest but do not use it all that much any more.

Quest 2 with Link and a required FB account - no thanks, especially not for how I use VR.

Awaiting my Reverb G2 I have on pre-order.

But the Rift opened me up to a whole new gaming world I could only have previously imagined.

I game much more now that I have VR. Spend more money too ugh.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

https://vrscout.com/news/facebook-end-sales-of-oculus-rift-s/

RIP Rift.

Loved my CV1 and also my Rift S. Still using my Rift S daily for many hours a week.

They both have done a great job for me and for the longest I was very loyal to Oculus products whilst many of my fellow flight simmers were moving on to others. I also have a Quest but do not use it all that much any more.

Quest 2 with Link and a required FB account - no thanks, especially not for how I use VR.

Awaiting my Reverb G2 I have on pre-order.

But the Rift opened me up to a whole new gaming world I could only have previously imagined.

I game much more now that I have VR. Spend more money too ugh.

Yup. Fair is fair. Palmer's Rift was a generational game changer. I can't think of anything that made *that* much of a difference in the past. It truly was a revolutionary change to gaming. I still have the DK1 DK2 in the hard cases it came in. Don't have the heart to throw it out! :)

And as much as we want more performance out of ED for DCS, I will *never* forget the first time I tried DCS in DK1. Mind was blown.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm In the same Boat Don.

I'll be saying goodbye to Oculus soon too.

I have never used the home thing or anything else for that matter. I just game with the thing but, now that it will require a FB account as well It's sayonara for me and off to pastures new.

Don't know what I'll be going for yet though. There's quite a choice.

SD

[sIGPIC]sigpic55726_5.gif[/sIGPIC]

future G2 alumni as well....

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Yeah I am so excited for the Reverb G2 as well.

I hope we get them in our hands in Oct.

I will never allow Facebook to force me to use their social media platform to play games in a VR headset. I did not buy a VR headset for social reasons.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Moving as well away from Oculus but in 1-2 year time. I don't see a such scenario yet to invest to Reverb or Index or anything like that before performance is fixed in DCS and Rift S works fine.

If Facebook would drop the requirement for Facebook account, then I would seriously consider not to update Quest 2 as it would be best quick jump, especially if ED would implement a hand tracking functionality for it. Think about it.... No controllers in cockpit, just point and use...

If I would be Facebook, I would have implemented that hand tracking system already to Rift S, because it would have made every single Rift S user consider far more harder to jump any other device when no one else offers hand tracking than Oculus, and then Quest 2 would have been no brainer road to go.

But they blew it. Rift S is dead in the water, no updates in horizon to make reason to go for others. This is reason why I didn't invest VR games for Oculus store than minimal ones, so that any day when I decide to make the jump, I can leave behind minimal count of games as is.

Now I am waiting that Valve would have something crazy in their pipeline to be releasing a hand tracking system to SteamVR for all inside-Out tracking systems and I would run straight away on that day to store buy those.

It is amazing how some managers at Facebook can really have no idea what the Oculus meant to gamers and how no requirement for Facebook account to use Rift VR was key for it.

I really like the general idea of Quest 2, but they again saved in wrong places and really broke the camel back with FB account thing.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Well, I'll keep you guys updated. I ordered a Quest 2 (currently using a Rift s). Facebook are promising us a tasty headset when the Quest 2 gets full Link support with near 2K per eye res at 90Hz.

At 299 quid I consider it a good punt :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Well, I'll keep you guys updated. I ordered a Quest 2 (currently using a Rift s). Facebook are promising us a tasty headset when the Quest 2 gets full Link support with near 2K per eye res at 90Hz.

At 299 quid I consider it a good punt :)

Q2 does look like an interesting headset, it's the facebook login requirement that is putting most ppl off, its the deal breaker for me.. But good luck I hope you enjoy the Q2. :thumbup:

Q2 does look like an interesting headset, it's the facebook login requirement that is putting most ppl off, its the deal breaker for me.. But good luck I hope you enjoy the Q2. :thumbup:

Cheers :thumbup: Enjoy your Reverb. Sounds like an impressive bit of kit :)

I was tempted but decided to spend my cash on the Quest and an RTX 3080.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional