Server Ping Timeout/Stuttering

Yaga

Another user has stopped using SA-2 and SA-3 units in his multiplayer missions, claiming they were causing disconnections (no kidding), at least over Syria.

Could you check whether your DCS behaves the same way or not?

Most of the servers I fly on don't use these units. There doesn't seem to be any effect not having them. Also, page file increase had no effect. Most recent log attached. First disconnect the timeout issue, second disconnect intentional. Again, right at the 2 hour mark.

I recall a autoexec.cfg line that someone said would enable "full logs". Can't find the post now though. Do you know anything about this command? Seems useful to get whatever additional data it might provide.

dcs.log

I recall a autoexec.cfg line that someone said would enable "full logs". Can't find the post now though. Do you know anything about this command? Seems useful to get whatever additional data it might provide.
  1. Go to "C:\Users\your_name\Saved Games\DCS...\Config".
  2. Create a file name "autoexec.cfg".
  3. Paste this and save:

log.set_output("dcs", "", log.ALL, log.FULL)

Since you reinstalled Windows, have you disabled IPv6? (remember, it seemed to have worked the first time)

You also might want to disable power management for your network adapter.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

1. Go to "C:\Users\your_name\Saved Games\DCS...\Config".
  2. Create a file name "autoexec.cfg".
  3. Paste this and save:

log.set_output("dcs", "", log.ALL, log.FULL)

Since you reinstalled Windows, have you disabled IPv6? (remember, it seemed to have worked the first time)

You also might want to disable power management for your network adapter.

Power management has already been disabled. I just went ahead and disabled IPv6 and set the autoexec to have DCS create full logs. Testing now.

OK, I have a new lead. Since you insisted about the "2 hours", I've looked back at all your logs: 8 disconnections out of 9 happened exactly 124 or 125 minutes after the "NET: connected to server" message.

And here's a message I found about a completely different online game: https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/256948854 . No solution unfortunately, but it seems to be the exact same issue.

This probably isn't a software issue. This is a network issue.

Please check your local IP (launch cmd and type "ipconfig") and internet IP (go here) before joining a game, then check them again once you get disconnected.

You can also check for "DHCP" messages in the Event Viewer. See if they match with the disconnections:

Go to Event Viewer->Applications and Services Logs->Microsoft->Windows->Dhcp-Client->Microsoft-Windows-DHCP Client Events/Operational. Look at the option under "Properties" in the Actions column on the right. If it is "Disable Log", you have enabled this log, then you can view the past IP. If it is "Enable Log", you have not enabled this log and the previous IP cannot be viewed.

Edited by Flappie

Another guy here, same issue, still no solution. He mentions the Spectrum ISP. Is that yours as well?

Interesting, I'll call up my ISP. Thanks again for helping me diagnose this issue.

Edit: I've also enabled the DHCP logging, and have noted my current public IP. I'll check to see if it changed after my next disconnect.

I just disconnected again after ~125 minutes. Both my local and public IP addresses have remained the same before/after the disconnect. No errors in the DHCP events that would correspond to the disconnect time either.

@Yaga if its blueflag and your disconnecting, Your not the only one it happens alot, Not sure on other servers i have no issue, I ask because you fly in the buddyspike server most likely with 100 scripts running could be a plausable issue, I believe its in syria only, As for pagefile ive never bothered palying with it you should not have to, I contacted Xcom and he just said delete the usual folders etc.

@Yaga if its blueflag and your disconnecting, Your not the only one it happens alot, Not sure on other servers i have no issue, I ask because you fly in the buddyspike server most likely with 100 scripts running could be a plausable issue, I believe its in syria only, As for pagefile ive never bothered palying with it you should not have to, I contacted Xcom and he just said delete the usual folders etc.

As far as I can tell, it's all servers for me. And as stated, like clockwork after a 125 minute connection. I just can't find any evidence to suggest what's happening.

One of them has answered me. He says he only has these programmed disconnections when he uses a wired connection. His WiFi connection on the same PC never gets disconnected.

He tried two different routers and the issue appeared with both. He suspected his ISP modem, so they brought him a new one, but the issue remains.

But wait, I've just found a new promising reddit thread, and one of the solution worked out! The guy simply set his Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router QoS (Quality of Service) on. Do you own this very same router?

More info here in case you have the same infamous router model: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nig...1426411#M71948

Edited by Flappie

One of them has answered me. He says he only has these programmed disconnections when he uses a wired connection. His WiFi connection on the same PC never gets disconnected.

He tried two different routers and the issue appeared with both. He suspected his ISP modem, so they brought him a new one, but the issue remains.

But wait, I've just found a new promising reddit thread, and one of the solution worked out! The guy simply set his Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router QoS (Quality of Service) on. Do you own this very same router?

More info here in case you have the same infamous router model: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nig...1426411#M71948

I own the very same nefarious router! I will set QoS on and give it another run.

You might be pleased to know that this completely solved my disconnect issue. It even seems like the game runs more smoothly in MP now. :thumbup:

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

You can re-enable IPv6 by the way. You can also let Windows set your pagefile size automatically, unless you find DCS runs better with a manually set 32 GB pagefile of course.