GBU-54 range in laser mode like GBU-38?

schroedi

Maybe someone knows this, how it is in reality.

A GBU-38 has a longer range than a GBU-12 because the 38 has proportional control surfaces while the 12 has "digital" one (either steer or straight). The GBU-54 is a 38 with a laser seeker, so does it have the same range as the 38 when in laser mode?

Or in other words, is the range in GPS/INS mode the same as in laser mode?

LJDAM has more range more than just because of control proportionality. Big difference is LJDAM is a JDAM so it "flies" to the target in a non-ballistic path. Laser JDAM is just a JDAM with a laser seeker that it can blend in that extra source of information so it should have similar range and indistinguishable when employed without laser.

Another feature of laser info is that it updates the INS target. A brief mid-course laser update refines the target position so any lasing is an improvement even if the laser ceases before impact. Paveway II on the other hand goes completely stupid if after initial lasing the laser stops.

How do the Raytheon GBU-4x series behave? They are also GPS/INS + Laser guided. As I know they are based on the GBU-1x series, so do they have propotional steering surfaces (like GBU-2x series), or non-proportional like the GBU-1x series?

EGBU/GBU-4X definitely have proportional steering at least MAU-210F and newer control group. As far as comparing EGBU/PIV INS trajectory vs JDAM or LJDAM... it's a good question. One assumes they're getting the most aerodynamically out of each and PII has a bit more "wings" to it which might glide farther. I bet JDAM is the only one that does supersonic decently.

LJDAM has more range more than just because of control proportionality. Big difference is LJDAM is a JDAM so it "flies" to the target in a non-ballistic path.

The GBU-38 that the OP used for comparison is a JDAM too...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Right, Fred was comparing to the GBU-12, not the GBU-38, as that is the comparison OP was making.

I see, thanks :thumbup:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg