I Need Axis Curves For The P-51D

NavyAce

Hello,

Does anybody have accurate roll, pitch, and yaw settings (Deadzone, X and Y Saturation, and Curvature) for the P-51D? Thanks. I found this information for the Spit IX in an old post from July 2017 called Can You Share Your Axis Curves. This is the information I need.

NavyAce

You want to base your curves on the hardware you fly with. A short throw stick sitting on the desk will need some, while an extended setup on the floor might not.

Careful with saturation. If you lower it you are reducing the maximum amount of control surface deflection possible.

I use CH gear and run a 21 curve on X and Y with no deadzone. I think I'm a bit higher in the P-47, maybe 23 or 24.

Hello,

Does anybody have accurate roll, pitch, and yaw settings (Deadzone, X and Y Saturation, and Curvature) for the P-51D? Thanks. I found this information for the Spit IX in an old post from July 2017 called Can You Share Your Axis Curves. This is the information I need.

NavyAce

Purely a personal preference kinda thing.

As Paganus stated it will depend on your hardware.

I have a Warthog setup and use curve 30 and dead-zone 5.

I arrived at these settings by flying close to another aircraft and adjusting the curve until I could hold position without oscillating. A small dead-zone seemed to help, but too much caused oscillating again.

After trimming into the dead-zone it is almost hands-off flying this close. :)

1612034963_P-51formation.thumb.png.a18f6adceebe0430e4fb2df4e5547289.png

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the hardware reminder regarding different settings for long and short sticks. I would like to eventually have a full scale joystick but this does not seem possible right now. I had heard through the editors of PC Pilot magazine that they thought that Warthog had a telescoping extension available, so I contacted their Customer Service department with the following request:

I was recently told about your Hotas Warthog stick that comes with extensions so that it can be made to approximate the length of a real WWII era stick. Can this unit be attached via a USB port and is it plug and play? How do I mount the stick on the floor? Can the sensitivity etc. settings be input through the control panels of current flight sims?

This was the reply I got:

The HOTAS Warthog does not come with extensions. Moreover, we do not encourage the use of extensions as the product was designed in a specific way and adding extensions may damage the product in the long term. Also, any modification will void the warranty.

Since I am obviously going to be using my desktop joystick for now, I would like to have axis settings that are at least reasonably accurate replications for the actual airplane that will be reflected realistically in the movements of my Thrustmaster T.16000M. I would need to do some tweaking to fit my own needs but at least this would give me a starting point.

NavyAce

Extensions are readily available in various lengths and simple to fit without changing anything to the original. The grips simply screw off as designed and you screw the extension in place with a simple cable supplied to connect it. You can put it back to original in a matter of a minute or so.

I have a 10cm extension with my Warthog which I find especially great with the WW2 planes and is ok with jets and helicopters too. I don't run any curves, preferring it linear and the extension gives me the control I was looking for.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Hi Baldrick,

Thanks for the quick reply. I see you are using a Warthog with an extension. Why did the company tell me they weren't available and warned against using them if they are in fact available (how did you purchase them anyway if they were not listed in the catalog?) and work fine? I would be interested if I could purchase one that would work with my setup.

NavyAce

Thrustmaster don’t make them and it is pretty standard stuff to not approve third party materials that change the design. TM didn’t design the joystick to have the extra leverage, so if someone puts all their weight into leaning on the stops with a 2m extension it may not withstand it! So just the standard disclaimer stuff.

In reality the device is very solid and it is possible to easily add, use and remove an extension with no impact to it.

I got mine off of eBay, I am not at my computer now to find the order, I will later.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat