Training campaigns worth it?

Passero

Last weekend I bought the A10-C and went through all the training missions so have a very basic understanding of the aircraft now...

I did create a basic mission myself to try out the things I learned.

I am wondering if the different training campaign DLCs are worth it? I know they don't teach you but I assume they have missions with increased difficulty and am hoping these missions will help me try out some of the concepts...

I bought the basic campaign hoping to have an immersive training experience, but it turns out it's a serie of "qualification exams" and it requires you to read the manual and already know how the plane works.

I stand to be corrected, but that is what I felt from playing the first 3/4 missions.

Inviato dal mio SM-G950F utilizzando Tapatalk

- "It's better to reign in hell than to serve in Heaven"

Modules: A-4E-C Skyhawk, A-10C II Tank Killer, AJS37 Viggen, AV-8B Harrier, F-14B Tomcat, F-15C Eagle, F-16C Viper, F/A-18C Hornet, MIG-21 Fishbed, MIG-29, SU-27, SU-33

Maps: Caucasus, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier

Rig: i7 4790 / Nvidia GTX 1070 Strix / 16GB RAM DDR3 1600 MHz / 256 GB SSD / Windows 10

Setup: ThrustMaster TWCS Throttle, Titanwolf "Vulture" Stick, DelanClip PRO, Home-made universal Cockpit panel

I am wondering if the different training campaign DLCs are worth it?

Only if you want to compare yourself to the RL qualification tests.

I know they don't teach you but I assume they have missions with increased difficulty and am hoping these missions will help me try out some of the concepts...

The Maple Flag "qualification" campaigns focus on different skill sets i.e. basic flying, weapons employment i.e. weapons systems,. and JTAC.

They are not 'teaching' campaigns, but pilot evaluation flights based off USAF Aircrew Evaluation Criteria and real 'check' rides.

They are a series of tasks that must be performed to a set 'standard' i.e.

• Altitude +/- 200 feet

• Airspeed +/- 5%

• Course +/- 5 degrees/3 NM (whichever is greater)

Although you can learn from the missions, they are really there to check if you are skilful enough to pass the 'real' test after becoming competent in DCS.

It's best to have:

• read the DCS A-10C manual

• completed the default DCS training missions

• flown a few combat missions or one of the campaigns

to get the most benefit from the A-10C 'Qualification' campaigns.

Check out Baltic Dragon's "Enemy Within 3.0"

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=621

and / or Ranger79's "Piercing Fury" (now free on the user files) - unfortunately mission 2 is bugged but you should be able to fly the other missions as standalones.

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=518

These are "full blown" realistic campaigns, so expect them to be challenging but IMHO, they do have some grading for difficulty as they progress.

I'm not sure how well the default "Georgian Hammer" campaign works in 2.5.6.x or if MadDog-IC's updated files are still good, there are however many A-10C missions and campaigns available in the user section.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Definately worth it...i've got & flown all 3 (Basic, Advanced & Tactical Training)

Was a brilliant learning experience flying them starting from Ground Handling & Start up to advanced multi-element missions.

Good replayability - as they're great refreshers to help agaisnt "skill erosion" if you haven't flown for a while...

Airbag_signatur.png

Last weekend I bought the A10-C and went through all the training missions so have a very basic understanding of the aircraft now...

I did create a basic mission myself to try out the things I learned.

I am wondering if the different training campaign DLCs are worth it? I know they don't teach you but I assume they have missions with increased difficulty and am hoping these missions will help me try out some of the concepts...

I would also recommend Bunyap's YouTube channel. The first few are A10A but still good. The rest are A10C. HIGHLY recommended

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hi

In Advanced & Tactical Training You have x2 campaigs in fact.

Advanced Practice and Advanced qualification. Tactical Training Practice and Tactical Training qualification. In Practice You start in the air and, as name says, You just practice. When You pass practice then You can jump to qualification - start on ramp - and trys to pass qualification. Some times the practice mission is harder then qualification :)

@Passero

If it’s the three qualification campaigns you references to then…

It’s depend upon what you want to achieve.

If you want to learn the basic to fire the gun and drop some bombs on targets in a relative simple mission. Then no! It’s not the right tool IMO.

If you want to have structure in your training from crawling to eventually master the A-10 some day then yes absolutely.

All three campaigns have practices missions for every step with instructions. They have pdf documentation for every step so you know what to study in each step.

As a new pilot in the A-10 and other, the amount of information can be overwhelming. IMO Those campaigns are a great tool to get you to focus on the right information for your current level and qualification and give you structure for your training path.

But remember they do not magically put information in our heads. We have to do the hard work of studying and practicing… As with anything in life, there is seldom a shortcut for knowledge.

It is very easy to jump to fare ahead of ourselves and fail on the basics.

I hope you can use it and it was the information you were looking for… and have fun :)

• Like 1

I9-9900K@5Ghz, 32Gb DDR4@3800Mhz, GTX 1080IT@1950Mhz, 3x500Gb SSD, HP Reverb, Samsung CF791, TM Warthog HOTAS & pedals

• 3 years later...

NB! They are not training at all.
Just a set of tests often based on a set of rules set by the author, and you have to figure out what they are. Mainly by trial and error.
I don't see why anyone would need these.

ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING - PNY GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming VERTO EPIC-X  - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - 64Gb RAM - 2x2Tb M2 - Win11 - HP Reverb g2 - Oculus Quest 2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder - 2X Thrustmaster MFD Cougar