Cloning OS SSD

Hi everyone,

I'm about to switch to a new PC and will be cloning my OS SSD to a new drive and placing it in my new computer.

DCS is installed to a different HD that will also be placed "as is" in the new PC.

I understand that DCS has user files in the OS drive, so wanted to know if cloning will cause issue with activations etc.

Should I deactivate everything before I clone the OS SSD? Anything else I should be doing pre-post cloning?

Thanks

You can basically forget the activation thing, as it is in your ED account online activation.

Your main problem in the cloning process is really the OS bootloader. So nothing really about the DCS itself.

The other part is that can appear in problematic is your USB pheripherals ID's changing, so you might need to load your binding profiles again. Nothing severe, but I recommend still going to each module bindings and save the profile in neat name form so you can anyways at any time easily load one.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Thanks, but it's not exactly like your process. It seems like you are cloning the HD where you have DCS installed. I'm actually cloning the C: drive where Windows is installed. So I will have the same Operating System (will only change its license key).

You can basically forget the activation thing, as it is in your ED account online activation.

Your main problem in the cloning process is really the OS bootloader. So nothing really about the DCS itself.

The other part is that can appear in problematic is your USB pheripherals ID's changing, so you might need to load your binding profiles again. Nothing severe, but I recommend still going to each module bindings and save the profile in neat name form so you can anyways at any time easily load one.

Thank you!

Thanks, but it's not exactly like your process. It seems like you are cloning the HD where you have DCS installed. I'm actually cloning the C: drive where Windows is installed. So I will have the same Operating System (will only change its license key).
No, you misunderstood, but I misunderstood you as well. Anyway, just clone away, just did it for my daughter. As long as you use correct cloner software, there won't be any difference but new drive.

Apart from from that. No need to clone install drive, that's just xcopy or similar to new drive and then change drive letter.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I just used Acronis to clone a smaller ssd with OS and and game files including DCS. I cloned a 250gb ssd to a 1tb nvme.

I had no problems at all. Very important point though. Once you have cloned your OS drive. DO NOT boot up with BOTH drives installed. Only boot up with one of them at a time.

So my procedure was as follows,

Clone OS drive to new drive using Acronis following instructions, took about 10 mins.

Shut down PC completely,

Remove original drive from motherboard/sata connection,

Boot up with the new drive and run it for a few days to check everything is there and its ok.

Wipe old drive in bios only if you want to use it for something else.

Everything ran exactly as before OS all programs and games. No licensing issues with anything.