*ATTENTION*

RAZBAM_ELMO

Alright now that I have your attention everyone, the issue we have seen this morning with the CTD on GBU drops. The team has been very hard at work trying to get this bug sorted from when it began this morning. The team has a request for those experiencing the problem. Now because it seems to be a 50/ 50 split on who is or who is not experiencing the problem, we have a short term fix we'd like people to have the community test and see if this has fixed the issue across multiple platforms and not the small dev/CB test teams.

Attached is a file which will go to your DCS folder under

/mods/aircraft/AV8BNA/ Cockpit/MPCD/indicator/TPOD

Our team seems to thing that this is where the bug is originating from. What this file will do is DISABLE the MGRS coordinate data and hopefully rectify the issue. IF this does solve the problem please let us know.

IF IT DOES NOT. We need either the .trk file or if you get a CTD, then we need the log from your saved games/ dcs folder/ log folder instead. You should also describe IN DETAIL what steps you are doing in order, which gives the fail or CTD. If you can also upload the .miz file you got the fail or CTD on as well there is the possibility it may be due to the ME not liking the GBUs. I know that together we can all work together and get this solved, as we need a larger test base to get things working, we're asking YOU to help us out as sort of a huge OB Test team. I hope this helps guys.

TPOD_COMMON_DATA.lua

• Thanks 1

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

So not sure if you want us posting our findings here or not....

No more CTD with the fixed file but something is weird with the ranging and coordinates in the tgp. It's like the laser is working sometimes. I did manage to hit the target after a few tried running the mission and messing with the ranging laser and wp inc. The TGP is no longer showing the coordinates, most of the time.

Track

Edited by wess24m

So not sure if you want us posting our findings here or not....

No more CTD with the fixed file but something is weird with the ranging and coordinates in the tgp. It's like the laser is working sometimes. I did manage to hit the target after a few tried running the mission and messing with the ranging laser and wp inc. The TGP is no longer showing the coordinates, most of the time.

Track

yes that is expected as this file disables MGRS coords. READ op. We just want to see if this fix rectifies the bug so we can better isolate the issue

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

I have a suspicion, related to another issue with MGRS in Scripting. You have a PM.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It seems the CTD is somehow related to the HTS mode of the TPOD. Whenever I just use the TDC mode everything works fine. Haven't tested the fix yet though.

I guess that's the reason why some people have the crash and some not.

Was thinking the same. It crashed when I switched between the 2 modes.

Guys if you have a bug other than the one mentioned here, please make a new bug report related to that issue. This sis simply to isolate the GBU drop CTD. Thanks

Elmo, I'm not talking about another bug it's the exact GBU drop CTD.

Every time I drop the GBU-54 while the TPOD is in HTS mode I get the CTD. I have reproduced it consistently now about 10 times.

Even if I drop when the TPOD is in TDC (slew) mode and switch to HTS (double tap on the SCS), while the bomb is in the air I get that CTD.

If I never use the HTS mode everything works fine for GBU-54 ans GBU-38.

btw, It's the exact same for the GBU-38. I get the same CTD as for the GBU-54, also only in HTS mode.

GBU-38-CTD-dcs.log

GBU-54-CTD-dcs.log

Elmo, I'm not talking about another bug it's the exact GBU drop CTD.

Every time I drop the GBU-54 while the TPOD is in HTS mode I get the CTD. I have reproduced it consistently now about 10 times.

Even if I drop when the TPOD is in TDC (slew) mode and switch to HTS (double tap on the SCS), while the bomb is in the air I get that CTD.

If I never use the HTS mode everything works fine for GBU-54 ans GBU-38.

btw, It's the exact same for the GBU-38. I get the same CTD as for the GBU-54, also only in HTS mode.

I doubt the TPOD mode is related to the root cause. Both logs show a problem related to coordinates.

"2020-09-24 17:54:25.679 ERROR EDTERRAINCORE: utm_private::fromLatLon Longitude nand more than 60d from center of UTM zone 40"

The HTS may lead into where the function crashes, though.

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I doubt the TPOD mode is related to the root cause. Both logs show a problem related to coordinates.

"2020-09-24 17:54:25.679 ERROR EDTERRAINCORE: utm_private::fromLatLon Longitude nand more than 60d from center of UTM zone 40"

The HTS may lead into where the function crashes, though.

I'm not familiar with exactly how ED's terrain works but this seems to suggest a location outside of the map was queried for its coordinates. HTS mode throws a designation on init and at the start of slew, so they could be related.

Edited by LastRifleRound

I've had the crash when creating a Markpoint. So could very well be a wonky coordinates issue.
Yep, that is what I thought. We ran into an issue with LLtoMGRS having a bug in scripting with MOOSE (Easting and Northing digit groups passed as number, not string), but I can't be 100% sure it is the same root cause.

I passed that info to Razbam.

It "seems"it could be related, but Razbam need to check to be sure.

You could further narrow it down by creating marks/points with a leading "0" in MGRS Easting or Northing. E.g. 40 T CM "0"1234 56789...

Shagrat

Yep, that is what I thought. We ran into an issue with LLtoMGRS having a bug in scripting with MOOSE (Easting and Northing digit groups passed as number, not string), but I can't be 100% sure it is the same root cause.

I passed that info to Razbam.

It "seems"it could be related, but Razbam need to check to be sure.

You could further narrow it down by creating marks/points with a leading "0" in MGRS Easting or Northing. E.g. 40 T CM "0"1234 56789...

Wouldn't this cause a type error instead? C doesn't have type coercion.

Wouldn't this cause a type error instead? C doesn't have type coercion.
Not necessarily. If it is handled in the script API it is LUA based. But even if it gets a correct "number" the return value of "1234_" is totally not "01234" and can mess with the receiving function.

Anyway, we can't be sure this is the root cause. Just something that could be related.

The logged error points to something messing with the MGRS / LL coordinates, though, so likely not limited to TPOD, HTS etc.

We just need to be patient until they figure it out for good.

Shagrat

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...