No Black Pilot Skins???

ramirras

It’s always nice to see yourself represented to some degree. How would you feel if this game had only female voices and bodies and you were forced into that one option at all times? A lot here would probably call it early access and want to know if or when male voice/body will be added

Being forced into that one option may not be unenjoyable or uncomfortable for you, but I would hope you don’t see anything wrong in people saying it does have an impact on them and that more then once choice would be a good thing

I promise you, me and many others have not made this request in anger but genuinely wish for it like any of the other 3D/model wishlists here, so as your post says I hope you don’t hate me or others that wish for it:):pilotfly:

The important thing is not to make it a sexist thing, i don't find it right. I used the word hate but not in the worst sense. There are several women in the ED team at work but i don't think it's a priority for them. The communication voices should be mixed and for the pilot body, well in the end they are quite covered. Making a well-built body unfortunately requires some work.

This speech will take on importance when the dynamic campaign comes out, i say this because surely you can choose to impersonate a female or male pilot by choosing a predetermined physical appearance as for the other famous sim, you know what i'm talking about... here it is necessary to have the voice and the body of a woman, but for now i do not see the need.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SharkWizard said:
Regarding different voices being available, as in female voices for the females or even "black" voices for blacks etc.

The more voices and the more different voices the better, and it'll be better for everybody using the radios. It is the perfect place for diversity, and IMO something sorely needed, and if radio communication is getting overhauled anyway, then even more of a perfect fit.

I mean if you go to English voices, we've got 1 pilot voice (who changes voice, in one case drastically, depending on who he's talking to), 1 ATC voice, 1 AEW/GCI voice, 1 JTAC voice, and like 3-4 voices for wingmen/other flights.

Supercarrier was a slight improvement, main improvements were the marshal voice (which is female), but now the pilot drastically change their voices between talking to the carrier, and talking to anything else.

Edited by Northstar98
grammar

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Have to say that I'm with the OP. Yes, it would be good to have other races and sexes represented.

As for the voices, I think that it would be ace if it was fairly easy to create your own set, then be able to share, such that I could provide and English voice, and hopefully trade it with a Russian, Australian and so on.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I dont see why asking for representation is such a big deal, I fully agree.

After all, everybody cries for a Skin or Livery that "represents" them right? well the same thing here. Or we should make 2 liveries per plane and lock it....

The important thing is not to make it a sexist thing, i don't find it right. I used the word hate but not in the worst sense. There are several women in the ED team at work but i don't think it's a priority for them. The communication voices should be mixed and for the pilot body, well in the end they are quite covered. Making a well-built body unfortunately requires some work.

This speech will take on importance when the dynamic campaign comes out, i say this because surely you can choose to impersonate a female or male pilot by choosing a predetermined physical appearance as for the other famous sim, you know what i'm talking about... here it is necessary to have the voice and the body of a woman, but for now i do not see the need.

Thank you for this more measured response, I would only respectfully say that even if you do not see a need, does not mean there isn’t one for other people

"For young women or people of color, not seeing yourself in these roles makes it harder to imagine being able to ever do it yourself"

Yet they do it every day.

Doesn’t mean it’s always easy. Or that there couldn’t be more people involved if things were different. I mean the Tuskegee airmen also flew and served everyday, but would they have been happy with things staying the same from WWII? Maybe there wouldn’t be such a pilot shortage if recruitment tools like Top Gun didn’t re in force the stereotype that fighter jockey is synonymous with sausage party.

If the gender or race of a fictional 3D model that exists in a virtual fantasy land triggers people then they need to grow the frak up.

I would really like to see this post where someone making this request was “triggered” by the pilot body. Unless you meant it about someone else? I appreciate the BSG reference, but I would say some people should also grow up to have empathy for how especially an aviation sim might have more obstacles to say immersion for women then it does for men.

Regarding different voices being available, as in female voices for the females or even "black" voices for blacks etc.

Modern neural networking tech has made it almost trivial to generate your own custom voices for the game as long as you have the text you want to be read.

The biggest problem with DCS pilot customization however is the lack of moustache customization, which shouldn't be mere texture without any 3d geometry on the pilot.

Absolute travesty considering how important moustaches are in proper aviation

You could seriously ask for mustaches, or new helmet, or new callsign, and I bet there wouldn’t be a single post saying dev time is better spent somewhere else. You wouldn’t have to defend your reason or validity for wanting a new mustache/helmet/callsign, and you wouldn’t have to put up with people without a new mustache/helmet/callsign telling you that a new mustache/helmet/callsign wouldn’t even solve your problem becuase you don’t have a problem. Seat moving via the in cockpit switch? You might have one of these questions asked, but for some reason female pilot bodies always gets this special unique response.

Thank you to everyone that has actually shown empathy, wether your opinion is different or not. I can only hope that some people in this thread eventually learn the same skill of atleast trying to see the world through the eyes of someone else.

. Any other women or other people not often represented in flight sims reading this, I hope you stick with it and I admire you for being here, I hope you’ve experienced some of the inclusion of our better community members

Many posts in this thread are part of the very reason there is so few women in this hobby, or even people that will say they are a woman here.

I go back to my original post here that I think an answer to would be interesting, what if the situation was reversed and there have only been female pilots and voices since release? Would there be posts saying it’s early access or that it’s not complete without male voices? Would the people that are posting here for things to stay the same, would they be posting on this hypothetical forum about a hypothetical DCS saying male voices need to be added with the justification of realism and immersion? What if all the pilots were black? How many would say a white pilot is absolutely required for a flight sim?

People literally go crazy when there is a woman on comms sometimes, I would think most of you

would atleast be okay with us requesting A desire that you may not necessarily share. I know I’m not the best at articulating all this and I’m not the most convincing, but you all make it really hard for me not to say this. I really hoped I wouldn’t have to make long posts, but I saw so many posts that if I was reading these right when I got into the hobby as a sick disabled woman who wanted to live out a dream just like everyone else here, I might have never joined in the first place, and I don’t want that to happen to others who may have a genuine interest. It took me years to even find a virtual squadron that had women in it, I would hope there are more as time goes on, for all our sakes

Edited by AeriaGloria

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

You could seriously ask for mustaches [...] and I bet there wouldn’t be a single post saying dev time is better spent somewhere else.

As it certainly should

That out of the way. I have no problem with adding other customization options for our ingame pilots.

Maybe something like they have in Eveonline with loads more moustache customization options.

Be assured that as soon as we have full-fidelity MiG-29 ED has my fullest blessings for commencing this endeavor.

I would really like to see this post where someone making this request was “triggered” by the pilot body. Unless you meant it about someone else? I appreciate the BSG reference, but I would say some people should also grow up to have empathy for how especially an aviation sim might have more obstacles to say immersion for women then it does for men.

Thank you to everyone that has actually shown empathy, wether your opinion is different or not. I can only hope that some people in this thread eventually learn the same skill of atleast trying to see the world through the eyes of someone else.

There is nothing wrong with adding anything to the sim that creates a more realistic aviation world, but I don't think empathy would be the best approach get the point across. A better approach, I think would be the community coming together to create the mods and sound files to better fill out the world, not because a black man HAS to fly as a black character in a simulator to make it feel immersive. A great example that I can give from personal xp was one of the groups I used to fly with used custom ATC voicing in for our training servers. They used a female voice with an accent more in line with that region. Gave it a nice different feel, but it was work the mission makers put in to make it more realistic, not ED. When we did carrier work in the PG we used filler audio/general ATC comms to fill the void between radio calls, they had plenty of female voices and people of color. The option is there for those will to put in the work to make it.

If ATC voicing and skin color/male-female body features are what is keeping people from learning and getting better in this sim, I'm not sure any of us are going to be of help fixing their issues. But it still boils back to effort on the individual. Logbooks can have custom images for the pilot, you can edit the pilots of most planes just like creating liveries (male-female not sure much I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong). Hell, I made one with Deadpool flying a Viggen, trust me it's do-able.

As a newcomer on the forums, the community chipping-in is the general vibe I've been getting over the past few weeks.

-Liveries, voiceovers in campaign missions, etc. -Doesn't Operation Piercing Fury have over 200+ voiceovers?

Or, if not the community, then perhaps friends/aspiring actors/actresses who can do some voiceover work...

People look at their pilots?

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I believe that ALL people are created equal and should have the same opportunity as anyone else. Women, underserved, “minority “(hate that word btw). EVERYONE!

That said, it is a huge problem and this is a video game. I doubt the creators meant any malice by not representing “everyone “ but If this is all the original poster has to deal with on a daily basis that “ makes them feel under represented” then they have it pretty fricking good!

I can’t imagine having the time to even consider this given current reality!!!

Btw, what is a “black voice?” Stereotype much?????

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

So we have most of the countries in the world as factions, we have white, black & middle eastern characters in the various ground forces & white and black pilots, & that was all necessary for adding realism to the world.

… but 51% of the population is completely missing, and the idea of adding it in some way causes outrage for some people - 'triggers' them so badly

Add the voices - it's simple, and an idea that's time has come.

Cheers.

So we have most of the countries in the world as factions, we have white, black & middle eastern characters in the various ground forces & white and black pilots, & that was all necessary for adding realism to the world.

… but 51% of the population is completely missing, and the idea of adding it in some way causes outrage for some people - 'triggers' them so badly

Add the voices - it's simple, and an idea that's time has come.

I just don't understand why and how some people don't get it. And I agree with adding more voices, especially on the coms.

Does anyone have any links to any pilot skins that have darker skin tones? I've been told that the pilots that come with the P-51 module are Black but I want one for the modern fighters. I can't believe that DCS developers dropped the ball on this. :noexpression:

I'm still waiting for the Beavis and/or Butthead pilot skins.

Because that would be cool.

Huh-huh huh-huh huh-huh-huh

Yeh! hehe hehe hehe that would rock

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Uhh....why though?

With modern jets, you can't even see the pilot's skin color 99,9% of the time. Not even with pilot body enabled, Because they have their whole body covered. Not even in external view 98% of the time, assuming they take their visor off when the canopy is open, otherwise the visor completely covers their face. Rest of the time, you won't be seeing any skin on your pilot model, so the whole point is rather pointless.

I get that you may want to feel represented, but you're basically asking them to make a seperate pilot model just so you could stare at it during external view right after you spawn for 3 seconds and...that's it. A waste of resources by any definition. You should ask someone likeminded to mod it in or mod it yourself instead.

I can understand having more diverse voices in ATC and radio chatter though. Unlike pilot model skin color, that is something that we hear on a constant basis. But they should finish the early access planes first.

Edited by Antonius

Uhh....why though?

With modern jets, you can't even see the pilot's skin color 99,9% of the time. Not even with pilot body enabled, Because they have their whole body covered. Not even in external view 98% of the time, assuming they take their visor off when the canopy is open, otherwise the visor completely covers their face. Rest of the time, you won't be seeing any skin on your pilot model, so the whole point is rather pointless.

I get that you may want to feel represented, but you're basically asking them to make a seperate pilot model just so you could stare at it during external view right after you spawn for 3 seconds and...that's it. A waste of resources by any definition. You should ask someone likeminded to mod it in or mod it yourself instead.

I can understand having more diverse voices in ATC and radio chatter though. Unlike pilot model skin color, that is something that we hear on a constant basis. But they should finish the early access planes first.

It's pretty easy to see when viewing replays and creating cinematics.

It's pretty easy to see when viewing replays and creating cinematics.

No, it's not. I can't remember the last time I saw the pilot's body in a replay or cinematic, much less the skintone. Even if you did, the hands are covered in gloves, the head is covered with a helmet, and the face is covered with tinted visors. You cannot see the skintone at all. The whole argument is simply SJW trolling for attention. The whole idea of a pilot avatar is unnecessary because you become the avatar when you play the game. The avatar is whatever you want it.

Edited by Nealius