Weathercock Stability and LTE

Spathiphyllum

Hi,

I am wondering if the so-called weathercock stability is a thing in DCS, is this implemented and if not, I would like to request it as a feature as it is a vital factor for helicopter ops. The wind coming from behind -between about the 4 and 8 o'clock position can contribute to loss of tail rotor effectiveness. So far I have not been able to confirm that this is already implemented in the game, but maybe it is. Nevertheless, if not, please, consider adding it, thus further enhancing helicopter simulation.

Thank you!

• Like 2

As a virtual chopper pilot, I would have no opposition to your request.

The harder our job the better.

• Like 1

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I am wondering if the so-called weathercock stability is a thing in DCS, is this implemented and if not, I would like to request it as a feature as it is a vital factor for helicopter ops.

The weathercock effect from a cross wind striking the tail is usually (always ?) modelled in DCS helicopters.

The wind coming from behind -between about the 4 and 8 o'clock position can contribute to loss of tail rotor effectiveness. So far I have not been able to confirm that this is already implemented in the game, but maybe it is. Nevertheless, if not, please, consider adding it, thus further enhancing helicopter simulation.

AFAIK LTE (Loss of Tail Rotor Effectiveness) due to

• vortices coming off the main rotor and striking the tail rotor

• tail rotor VRS

• tail rotor AoA reduction

... is not modelled in any current DCS helicopter.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Yes. We sadly don't get LTE in DCS choppers. Would be a cool addition to the things we already have to deal with like VRS, Settling with Power, Low G pushover, overtorque, dynamic rollover, retreating blade stall, autorotations,...

The more things trying to kill you (beside the enemy), the more fun!

• Like 4

Yes. We sadly don't get LTE in DCS choppers. Would be a cool addition to the things we already have to deal with like VRS, Settling with Power, Low G pushover, overtorque, dynamic rollover, retreating blade stall, autorotations,...

The more things trying to kill you (beside the enemy), the more fun!

I second that!

• Like 1

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 6 months later...

With LTE modelled, you would see yet another incredible difference between co-axial and conventional helicopters. In general, this would make flying much more demanding, and thus more dangerous. I really hope that this comes at some point soon, as we really need this. The more physics the better 👍

• Like 8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]