Gear wheels spinning when deployed for landing

WelshZeCorgi

it seems like wheels continue to spin friction free in the wheel wells if you do not brake after taking off. I've noticed the wheels are spinning after hour long flights when they are deployed for landing.

Not sure if real bug or wheels naturally spin due to airflow, or if some jets intentionally drive the wheels to make it easier on the tires when making ground contact.

Warbirds too, wheels spin when you drop the gear

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

All aircraft wheels are braked when retracted automatically. And they are not spun up on extension either, stationary wheels when in contact with the runway help scrub a few knots off, and as such help in the speed loss.

• Thanks 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

All aircraft wheels are braked when retracted automatically. And they are not spun up on extension either, stationary wheels when in contact with the runway help scrub a few knots off, and as such help in the speed loss.

Well not all can be braked. For example the F-16 nose wheel doesn't have a brake. So there are little bumper friction pad bits in the nose landing gear area that it makes contact with to stop spinning on retract.

Not the case. Drop your gear in a 51 and you'll see your wheels are spinning.

I agree with the guy above though, seems like it's correlated with ground speed

• Like 1

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Well not all can be braked. For example the F-16 nose wheel doesn't have a brake. So there are little bumper friction pad bits in the nose landing gear area that it makes contact with to stop spinning on retract.

In essence, a kind of braking effect, just not pneumatic.

Not the case. Drop your gear in a 51 and you'll see your wheels are spinning.

WW2 types weren’t really bothered about spinning in the wells, and lift off/touch down speeds weren’t ass high as those encountered in the jet age.

I've actually suspected for a while now that (at least visually) the wheels all spin according to the current speed of the aircraft. With something like a Harrier transitioning in and out of hover it is somewhat observable.

Probably something tied to the model visuals, behaving as if it’s moving along the ground at a lower speed?

• Like 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

@Flappie

Its not only with landing, on my video with the harrier you will see it is during the flight as well:

This is on multiplayer during the training. this problem is already there for a long time. Hope youll fix it one day. 
This is happening on multiple planes, for example if i fly on an aerobatics server and i watch in the wheel base you see the wheels are rotating in the wheel base as well. 

Edited by Maverick_NL

MrMaverick

Pilot in the RAZBAM Harrier DIsplay Team

Mavericks Youtube: My Youtube Channel

Discord: https://discord.gg/MRU8m5m

On 9/25/2020 at 6:05 PM, WelshZeCorgi said:

it seems like wheels continue to spin friction free in the wheel wells if you do not brake after taking off. I've noticed the wheels are spinning after hour long flights when they are deployed for landing.

Not sure if real bug or wheels naturally spin due to airflow, or if some jets intentionally drive the wheels to make it easier on the tires when making ground contact.

I'm confused....why is this even a thing?

If you're concerned about immersion well, you broke it when you pressed F2.

In a real plane you cannot tell if they are turning or not? The only thing you really know

is, are they up with doors closed, or down and locked. IRL you don't have an F2 button.

I would even suppose that hanging out in a ~150 knot breeze while on approach

may turn them a little. 

Enlighten me please. Why does this even matter?

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

1 hour ago, rayrayblues said:

Enlighten me please. Why does this even matter?

For video makers, this is quite an important detail (see the Harrier video above).

This bug is also visible when you want to land in formation with a friend.

It is one of these small details that get you out of the sim in a blink. "Oh look, the wheel bug. Long time no see."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/15/2022 at 12:06 AM, rayrayblues said:

If you're concerned about immersion well, you broke it when you pressed F2.

+1

i would be willing to bet that this is way down the priority list. but mission makers, as @Flappy stated, do use cameras and wheels spinning is weird. i personally did not notice. i do notice now. thanks for that. lol. now my OCD cannot un-see it.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

• 3 weeks later...