Auto-lase for MAV-E?

Donglr

Hi,

I am aware that there is an auto-lase feature for laser guided bombs which automatically fires the laser during the last 10s till impact.

But does something similar exist for the laser guided Mavericks? I tried it and got inconclusive results. I certainly have to manually lase so the missile can acquire a lock and I am able to rifle. Once in the air I let go of the trigger and then started to scratch my head. One time at some point the laser fired by itself, I am a hundred percent positive that I did not have my finger on the trigger. The missile hit. The second time it did not lase by itself and the missile missed.

I guess some kind of user error, so if auto-lasing for MAVs exist what is the procedure to get it going?

Laser ARM

Designate target

TDC priority toward MavE (note the MavE uncages and slews to the TGT)

Press and hold Weapon Release (note laser starts firing, and maverick will spot laser)

Weapon releases

Release weapon release (note the laser continues to fire)

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

Or do as Swiftwin9s says, but just PRESS AND RELEASE the weapon release and that will start the laser firing and allow you to confirm lock on desired target and/or get closer to target (roughly the same as manually lasing except the laser will continue to fire until 10 secs after projected impact) before you then PRESS AND HOLD the weapon release to actually fire the MAV.

Thank you for your help, works well. Indeed holding down the weapons button takes 1-2s seconds before actual release where you can actually see the MAV looking for the laser and then coming off the rail.

So with that all sorted the question remains why is the F18 so not user friendly and requires you to re-arm the LTD after each use :doh: (rhetorical question, just a bit disappointed by F18's avionics design, never thought I would miss the A10 so much...)

So with that all sorted the question remains why is the F18 so not user friendly and requires you to re-arm the LTD after each use
I assume that this is related to avoiding laser overheating. But simply ceasing fire the laser would be more comfortable instead of resetting the laser arm switch.

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

I assume that this is related to avoiding laser overheating. But simply ceasing fire the laser would be more comfortable instead of resetting the laser arm switch.

Keep in mind this laser is also dangerous. I don't want that kind of laser pointing anywhere near me. It's also a safety thing.

So with that all sorted the question remains why is the F18 so not user friendly and requires you to re-arm the LTD after each use

I think of it as a final check before each attack that yes, indeed, I want to fire a high powered laser at the thing in my FLIR and then blow it up. Sorta like keeping your finger off the trigger of a firearm before you're on target and have decided to shoot.

Could be wrong about the Hornet, but I was under the impression that the original AGM-65Es couldn't be self-lased in real life. They required an offboard lase from a third party.

This might play into why there's no supporting switchology for it in DCS on a mid-2000s USN Hornet. The Es are only able to be self-lased for gameplay reasons.

It wasn't until the AGM-65E2/Ls came along (and I'm assuming some software updates for the aircraft themselves) that TACAIR could self-lase Mavericks.

Edited by ChickenSim

TDC priority is what is often misquoted as 'SOI'.

This is interesting, thanx.

Also I have noticed 2 things (maybe it is known bugs or "features")

1. if i select MAV from stores I cannot change WIDE/NARROW on TGP display via HOTAS (if I select another ordance like JDAM it works again)

2. if "SOI" stands on MAV display and I hold release button laser starts to fire but Maverick don't launch (if i switch to TGP display and hold release button laser starts fire and Maverick fires)

Intel Core i7 11700, 32 GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 4090, NVMe 3 TB, VR HP Reverb G2, Thrustmaster Warthog + pedals, Cougar MFDs, TrackIR, aInstruments

1. if i select MAV from stores I cannot change WIDE/NARROW on TGP display via HOTAS (if I select another ordance like JDAM it works again)

Been that way from the start and is reported as correct behaviour. MAV takes priority of the HOTAS FOV switch if it is active on a DDI.