Remove the Auto Start Cheat

SharpeXB

Until I started flying campaigns in the Hornet, that’s how every campaign I’ve ever played has been. I’ve never seen campaigns feature hot starts until now.

I know the A-10C ones I have done were cold start, same with the Viggen ones. I have not purchased a new campaign in a bit though.

I would think it boils back to time. 8-15 minutes for a Auto-Start is the exact same as as cold start so it defeats the purpose of saving time

You can run time acceleration with the Auto Start...

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I know the A-10C ones I have done were cold start, same with the Viggen ones. I have not purchased a new campaign in a bit though.

I have done campaigns for:

A-10C

F-15C

Su-27

F-86F

M-2000C

Spitfire

P-51D

Fw-190D

None of these had hot or air starts unless it was worked into the storyline

With the Hornet it’s every single campaign and mission. Somethings wrong with that.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

You can run time acceleration with the Auto Start...

True, but you also can't do anything else while you are accelerating the time IIRC, so then you have to wait until startup is finished. Look, there are excuses both ways of why it can/would or can't/won't. You are not wrong in what you are saying, but you are also only worried about yourself in the grand scale, as we all are really. Nothing wrong with that at all, we have all spent our own money and would prefer to play this thing our way. They should simply figure out a way to reach both sides equally. Removing the Hot/Cold start option from the ME and placing it in the mission itself when you sit in the pit would be a great way to make both sides happy I think. But then again, what does that do for mission/campaign creators trying to run accurate timed sections of missions?

I think it's about preference and perception, because I often wonder why some missions aren't hot start, especially when they are designed to teach something else specific (ie, why waste all the time on starting the jet when you are trying to practice A-G?).

It would be fantastic if it could be specified in the game options as a global preference - that is, choose to have every mission as hot start/cold start, with mission designers having the ability to override that global preference should it make sense to do so.

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

but you are also only worried about yourself in the grand scale,

I’m not the only player in DCS who likes to start up

And yeah if you don’t want to it’s as easy as LWin+Home and Ctrl+ZZZZZ and your aircraft is up and running in 30 seconds.

I often wonder why some missions aren't hot start, especially when they are designed to teach something else specific

This is about campaign or immersive SP missions, not practice and instant action.

Edited by SharpeXB

True, but you also can't do anything else while you are accelerating the time IIRC, so then you have to wait until startup is finished. Look, there are excuses both ways of why it can/would or can't/won't. You are not wrong in what you are saying, but you are also only worried about yourself in the grand scale, as we all are really. Nothing wrong with that at all, we have all spent our own money and would prefer to play this thing our way. They should simply figure out a way to reach both sides equally. Removing the Hot/Cold start option from the ME and placing it in the mission itself when you sit in the pit would be a great way to make both sides happy I think. But then again, what does that do for mission/campaign creators trying to run accurate timed sections of missions?

You are correct.

He will continue to argue.

Don't waste your time.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

This is about campaign or immersive SP missions, not practice and instant action.

Yes, but it would work for those too. They aren't any different from any other mission.

Also, I believe Raven One missions are cold starts in the Hornet, so perhaps not every campaign mission for the Hornet is hot start?

CPU:5600X | GPU:RTX2080 | RAM:32GB | Disk:860EVOm.2

Also, I believe Raven One missions are cold starts in the Hornet, so perhaps not every campaign mission for the Hornet is hot start?

I heard that it is, thankfully. I wouldn’t be so put off if it wasn’t every single Hornet mission and campaign so far.

Why the Hornet? Every other DCS module I’ve had was all cold starts. I suppose the Hornet is for noobs? :doh:

Ironically it’s about the easiest plane to start up.

Edited by SharpeXB

True, but you also can't do anything else while you are accelerating the time IIRC, so then you have to wait until startup is finished.

Why do you need something else to do? It takes 18 seconds to start the Hornet with AutoStart and time acceleration.

Edited by SharpeXB

You are correct.

He will continue to argue.

Don't waste your time.

That's his prerogative. And I support him. In single missions, training etc. I don't really care. But for campaigns, I think it adds to the immersion to cold start. Maybe not the "Oil Wars". But all the heli campaigns from ED hot start only. (The Gazelle, I don't remember, but that's not ED anyway. I'm sooooo looking forward to the Kiowa).

OP has a point. Doesn't he?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

No. "I think campaign missions should be cold start" is a point.

"Auto start is a cheat which should be removed from the game" is selfish, pointless blather (especially when he means hot start).

Yeah. True. But he said in a previous post, in this thread, that he worded himself that way on purpose. Hehe

I think it's about preference and perception, because I often wonder why some missions aren't hot start, especially when they are designed to teach something else specific (ie, why waste all the time on starting the jet when you are trying to practice A-G?).

It would be fantastic if it could be specified in the game options as a global preference - that is, choose to have every mission as hot start/cold start, with mission designers having the ability to override that global preference should it make sense to do so.

If you make it global option, then the engine has to offset time for the start up. And that depends on the module and skill. While possible, it'd introduce more complication to already over complicated AI and ME.

Just edit the mission. And might as well share it too. Many campaign missions have been broken for years and there are people who fix them and share them.

If you make it global option, then the engine has to offset time for the start up. And that depends on the module and skill. While possible, it'd introduce more complication to already over complicated AI and ME.

Just edit the mission. And might as well share it too. Many campaign missions have been broken for years and there are people who fix them and share them. Rather than complaining for years.

Can you edit and save DLC campaigns?

I’m not the only player in DCS who likes to start up

And yeah if you don’t want to it’s as easy as LWin+Home and Ctrl+ZZZZZ and your aircraft is up and running in 30 seconds.

I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying, but it's all good. I hope you get the change your asking for. Hope to see you in the sky sometime, after you get your plane started that is.:pilotfly:

Hehe! Exactly. OP is NOT complaining about single missions and free campaigns.

BTW! Thanks for all your efforts in other areas!

He was.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4503085&postcount=38

It’s not just 3rd party campaigns succumbing to this simplified format.

From the F/A-18C manual

“ Cold Start

There are two methods you can use to start a cold and dark Hornet. The first, and easiest, is the Auto- Start. By pressing [Left Win + Home], the aircraft will be started automatically for you. To cease the Auto-Start, you can press [Left Win + End].

Being a DCS title though, the Hornet really shines when you take advantage of the detailed systems modeling, like manually starting the aircraft. ”

And yet Eagle Dynamic’s own official campaign for the Hornet features it starting hot on the catapult every flight

Yeah, well, I sort of agree with you. Hehe Did you read the whole thing? I won't blame you if you didn't. Anyway, I read and answered his first post, and to me, it was about Hornet campaign without cold start. And I agree. Deployment campaign for the BS. WTF!!! I can go in and change, but it's cumbersome, and I would need a mod manager to fix it after every update/repair. It's just disappointing. For me. That's what it is. I learn these modules better when I cold start. It it what I it is. Take care!

I think OP wants an option to "Force Cold Starts" on all missions (with the aircraft still on the ground :D).

Or instead of just "Fly", if the aircraft was parked, it'd always offer "Cold Start" and "Hot Start".

Or "Fly" and one of "Force Cold Start" or "Force Hot Start" as an option, whichever is the opposite of what the mission default is.

That would solve everything and be a very welcome feature.

Yeah, well, I sort of agree with you. Hehe Did you read the whole thing? I won't blame you if you didn't. Anyway, I read and answered his first post, and to me, it was about Hornet campaign without cold start. And I agree. Deployment campaign for the BS. WTF!!! I can go in and change, but it's cumbersome, and I would need a mod manager to fix it after every update/repair. It's just disappointing. For me. That's what it is. I learn these modules better when I cold start. It it what I it is. Take care!

Yea, you appreciate the work done by MadDog.

I was simply commenting that making global option for cold/hot start is not that simple to implement and may introduce more bugs.

You're talking about letting the game engine detect the mission setting (whether it's hot or cold start) and offsetting the mission start time based on the module. Making it backward compatible with really old missions. And missions that start in the air... on the ramp... in the hangar...

If the mission is designed to start on the runway ready to go and the global setting forces cold start, do you start in the hangar? Which hangar? How much time to calculate to taxi?

Far too many variables.

Edited by Taz1004

Yeah, you're right about Maddog. But I want the Russian voice overs for the immersion. Limbo this is.

Hot start on runway is fine, if it fits. But I would like cold start on the ramp, and then people can just use auto start. This is like that other thread "who uses auto start". Same, same, but different.