They Made MiG-21 Great Again

Dirty Rotten Flieger

Hi Everyone.

OK so having watched the vids in the thread above ( and being suitably impressed ) I have tried to spend some time improving my skills with the Mig 21 . I see people talk about use of the rudder in turns at low speed 250 - 350 KmPH to gain advantage on F5e and F15s  in a downward spiral but I have found it very very difficult to achieve tight turns and avoid stalling once Im on the deck. Once there  I have used 100% mil power and rolled the Mig over , applying rudder in a sort of coordinated turn.

Im pretty sure Im doing it wrong. Maybe I should be extending once im on the deck and gaining height ....

Any good advice ?

Thanks in advance

C

• 2 months later...

Great piece of information here! That paper on first post is amazing, and learning it matches every little aspect of the current FM is a blast 😲 .

Thanks for sharing mate :clap_2: :thumbup: .

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Interesting article. But the DCS MiG-21bis doesn't match the stall AoA described there. It stalls at exactly 33 degrees indicated regardless of the speed. Just tried flying it in circles at 350 km/h on afterburner (on deck). Slight wobble begins at 28 degrees indicated. Sudden stall at exactly 33. According to the article it should stall at more than 10 additional degrees at that speed.

Most people, especially NATO guys, don't understand just how capable and well performing the MiG-21bis really is. Against Mirage III I would say if pilots are equally matched the MiG-21bis would win. So long as you're not braindead and pull too much AoA constantly and you're actually able to aim the 23mm then the MiG-21bis is one of the best cold war dogfighters in the game. Same will be said with the MiG-23 actually. NATO propaganda is still strong, but the MiG-23 will give the F-14A trouble when it releases soon hopefully.

Edited by IcedVenom
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2021 at 11:09 PM, corn322 said:

The article is about a MiG-21F.

Just saw this chart you've posted few years ago,

Seems like there is a long way to go from the 33 deg on the indicator to the stall AoA (the solid black line on the first chart), especially at slower speeds... Seems to confirm the article in the original post. Or is that only MiG-21F too?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 1:44 PM, OpticFlow said:

Interesting article. But the DCS MiG-21bis doesn't match the stall AoA described there. It stalls at exactly 33 degrees indicated regardless of the speed. Just tried flying it in circles at 350 km/h on afterburner (on deck). Slight wobble begins at 28 degrees indicated. Sudden stall at exactly 33. According to the article it should stall at more than 10 additional degrees at that speed.

It's true that stall (peak CL) should happen at other than 33 uuaAOA indication outside of the Mach range where it does. But even if this is fixed don't expect improved CL performance. The CL maximum we get is about right to reality it's just you get the CL result when the gauge is reading too low of an AOA with the needle. So flying slow and at the stall limit the airplane will fly the same it's just the UUA-1 needle will read a bigger number.

• Like 1