Problems with Easy Comms OFF on A10C

MadMonty

Hello everybody,

I have been using Vaicom successfully and without major problems for a long time.

But I have to admit that up to now I always made life easy for myself and used Easy Comms, so only 1 button on my Hotas and so the whole radio was done automatically.

Now the ambition has grabbed me to try it without Easy Comms and to set the frequencies also accordingly manually.

But with the A-10C I have the following problem:

Config as follows:

Mic-Switch forward= TX1 = Num1 = VHF-AM

Mic-Switch down = TX2 = Num2 = UHF

Mic-Switch backward = TX3 = Num3 = VHF FM

Mic-Switch up = TX5 = Num0 = INT (whatever you need it for!?)

In the Voice Attack menu I have made the bindings to the above mentioned Num0-3 accordingly and programmed them to my Mic-Switch on the throttle. When I test TX1-5, the Voice Attack menu also shows me the correct bindings.

The selector wheel in the VA menu is set to "normal", so TX1-3 and TX5 are active, TX4 (auto) is greyed out and not active.

In DCS I have deactivated easy comms, in Voice attack I have also deactivated the other options like "Instant select" etc.

When I start the game, the menu of Voice attack also shows easy comms OFF correctly.

When I open the radio menu in the game with the key combination for Mic-Switch forward, down and backwards I can see that I can only reach the corresponding recipients via the correct radio band with the correct frequency. So far everything seems to work correctly.

But using VA and saying my phrases while pressing the Mic-Switch on my throttle, it makes nearly no difference what Mic switch I press and still reach the recipient.

As an example: If I set the frequency of the airport in VHF-AM and ask for take-off permission, I can reach the tower via TX1 and TX2 and TX3 (and no, in UHF and VHF-FM the frequency of the airport is not set). I can change the frequencies of TX2 and 3, as long as I have the right frequency in TX1 (VHF-AM radio) I can call the airport via TX 1, 2 and 3.

Same with my wingman. In UHF I have set his frequency and I can reach him with TX2 but also TX3, but not on TX1. Changing TX3 (VHF-FM) frequency does not hinder me in calling the wingman via TX3, as long as TX2 (UHF) has the correct frequency. On the other hand with TX1 I can not reach my wingman (so that seems to work our correct).

First of all I hope you understand what I mean and also that someone might have a solution.

Cheers, MadMonty

Edited by MadMonty

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

Hello everybody,

I have been using Vaicom successfully and without major problems for a long time.

But I have to admit that up to now I always made life easy for myself and used Easy Comms, so only 1 button on my Hotas and so the whole radio was done automatically.

Now the ambition has grabbed me to try it without Easy Comms and to set the frequencies also accordingly manually.

But with the A-10C I have the following problem:

Config as follows:

In the Voice Attack menu I have made the bindings to the above mentioned Num0-3 accordingly and programmed them to my Mic-Switch on the throttle. When I test TX1-5, the Voice Attack menu also shows me the correct bindings.

The selector wheel in the VA menu is set to "normal", so TX1-3 and TX5 are active, TX4 (auto) is greyed out and not active.

In DCS I have deactivated easy comms, in Voice attack I have also deactivated the other options like "Instant select" etc.

When I start the game, the menu of Voice attack also shows easy comms OFF correctly.

When I open the radio menu in the game with the key combination for Mic-Switch forward, down and backwards I can see that I can only reach the corresponding recipients via the correct radio band with the correct frequency. So far everything seems to work correctly.

But using VA and saying my phrases while pressing the Mic-Switch on my throttle, it makes nearly no difference what Mic switch I press and still reach the recipient.

As an example: If I set the frequency of the airport in VHF-AM and ask for take-off permission, I can reach the tower via TX1 and TX2 and TX3 (and no, in UHF and VHF-FM the frequency of the airport is not set). I can change the frequencies of TX2 and 3, as long as I have the right frequency in TX1 (VHF-AM radio) I can call the airport via TX 1, 2 and 3.

Same with my wingman. In UHF I have set his frequency and I can reach him with TX2 but also TX3, but not on TX1. Changing TX3 (VHF-FM) frequency does not hinder me in calling the wingman via TX3, as long as TX2 (UHF) has the correct frequency. On the other hand with TX1 I can not reach my wingman (so that seems to work our correct).

First of all I hope you understand what I mean and also that someone might have a solution.

Cheers, MadMonty

Does your VA log show the correct TX buttons being pushed and released?

Do you have Select tunes radio option selected

Could you post images of your Vaicom config screens

It is definitely worth resolving and will have an opportunity to sit at my PC tomorrow and look

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Suggest you enable debugging and tell us what is in the VA log when this happens.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

Does your VA log show the correct TX buttons being pushed and released?

Do you have Select tunes radio option selected

Could you post images of your Vaicom config screens

It is definitely worth resolving and will have an opportunity to sit at my PC tomorrow and look

Yes, VA-Log shows TX buttons working perfect (press and release).

Select tunes is not selected.

I will post config screens this evening...

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

Config as follows:

Could you show your VA edit screen where you set up this config? I've been dreaming of doing this exact config for a while, with no luck thus far. Thanks.

So, got my sceenshots...

Like I said, TX1-5 bindings work fine, as shown in screenshot, however, TX1-3 seems to work for different radios while doing my phrases.

VA1.thumb.jpg.f190a17be24ef1b6eb0067b1e3b8be7e.jpg

VA2.jpg.cd1b9f2cf52c4b2029ed46e64a80dde5.jpg

VA3.thumb.jpg.00bc0a05a6ec775a2d018c68b909f83b.jpg

Perhaps check that in DCS config you have disabled the HOTAS MIC keybinds (as per the user manual).

Do you mean, to deleted the following bindings? But I do need them, when VA is not recognizing what I have said. Then I can enter the comm menu manually and work via F1 - F10. When I use the comm menu, it seems I can only use the correct radio on the correct frequency. That works therefore how it should be on easy comms off. But not using TX1-3 via VA.

DCS.thumb.jpg.991a5fc82d4d5a573b94ab65907f12e4.jpg

One more thing I just saw while taking the screenshots. While TX1 - VHF-AM shows the correct frequency in the VA-Options-Window, it does show no frequency for TX2 and TX3.

PS: Tried already "select tunes radio", makes no difference.

va4.jpg.f85700d8b5ab244b38e870e46098af45.jpg

va5.jpg.e898b594bf17fa19093c080ad5ba1303.jpg

Edited by MadMonty

No - don't get rid of the keyboard bindings - it is if you have bindings to your PTT switch

I think the issue might be with your Voiceattack Vaicom settings (your 3rd screenshot showing the PTT push and release commands

Attached is my image and it doesn't show the Start listening and Stop listening items (this changed some updates ago). To fix this, double click on each command in turn and remove the 'Start listening' or 'Stop listening' command from the dialog box. The second image shows how my edit command looks for TX1 press

Try this and see if it works

1454512924_VAPTT.png.c161ef79570d85979acdfec7e5413700.png

542346385_VAPTTEdit.thumb.png.c03e2b2d0af318a692a8b82a9aa41aaf.png

Edited by hornblower793

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

No - don't get rid of the keyboard bindings - it is if you have bindings to your PTT switch

I think the issue might be with your Voiceattack Vaicom settings (your 3rd screenshot showing the PTT push and release commands

Attached is my image and it doesn't show the Start listening and Stop listening items (this changed some updates ago). To fix this, double click on each command in turn and remove the 'Start listening' or 'Stop listening' command from the dialog box. The second image shows how my edit command looks for TX1 press

Try this and see if it works

Thx, tried it, but it did not work out. Actually, I lost the ability to radio at all via VA. So I put everything back as it has been, now I can radio, but still like easy comms ON with multiple TX buttons serving for one radio, like it seems.

Any further ideas?

Thx, tried it, but it did not work out. Actually, I lost the ability to radio at all via VA. So I put everything back as it has been, now I can radio, but still like easy comms ON with multiple TX buttons serving for one radio, like it seems.

Any further ideas?

What version of Vaicom are you running and what extensions do you have?

What version of Vaicom are you running and what extensions do you have?

I am running the latest version of Vaicom and I have upgraded VA from 1.8.5 to 1.8.6. I reinstalled Vaicom and deleted my existing profile, using the given standard DCS profile and configured TX1-5 new. This time not using key bindings, but joystick buttons.

But still, I can radio to my wingman via TX1, 2 and 3.

I am running the latest version of Vaicom and I have upgraded VA from 1.8.5 to 1.8.6. I reinstalled Vaicom and deleted my existing profile, using the given standard DCS profile and configured TX1-5 new. This time not using key bindings, but joystick buttons.

But still, I can radio to my wingman via TX1, 2 and 3.

Is it just to your wingman now, or is it still to any recipient?

Is it just to your wingman now, or is it still to any recipient?

The problem seems to occur with any reciepient.

For example, flying a A10C mission from eneny within campaign 3.0, being at the ramp I tune the following frequencies:

TX1/AM - 133.00 (airport)

TX2/UHF - 252.400 (warrior 1)

TX3/FM - 33.40 (flight / wingman)

So when I request taxi, I can only use the AM comm menu to communicate with the tower. But using VA I can talk via TX1, 2 and 3 to the tower and always get a response.

After takeoff, I can communicate to my wingman only via the FM comm menu. But using VA, I can talk via TX 2 and 3 (not 1!?) to my wingman and get a response.

The problem seems to occur with any reciepient.

For example, flying a A10C mission from eneny within campaign 3.0, being at the ramp I tune the following frequencies:

TX1/AM - 133.00 (airport)

TX2/UHF - 252.400 (warrior 1)

TX3/FM - 33.40 (flight / wingman)

So when I request taxi, I can only use the AM comm menu to communicate with the tower. But using VA I can talk via TX1, 2 and 3 to the tower and always get a response.

After takeoff, I can communicate to my wingman only via the FM comm menu. But using VA, I can talk via TX 2 and 3 (not 1!?) to my wingman and get a response.

One of your earlier posts shows that TX2 and TX3 have no frequency associated with them in the Vaicom PTT window - is this still the case?

If so, I think that this is the clue - if not already done, please could you turn on debug in Vaicom and see whether any clues appear in the VA log

Edited by hornblower793

One of your earlier posts shows that TX2 and TX3 have no frequency associated with them in the Vaicom PTT window - is this still the case?

If so, I think that this is the clue - if not already done, please could you turn on debug in Vaicom and see whether any clues appear in the VA log

Yeah, still no frequencies shown in TX2 and 3.

In debug I cannot see any failure. Since I am planning to upgrade my system it is likely, that I will do a complete new installation of DCS and VA/Vaicom and maybe from then on it is running. For now, I have no clue what else I could do. At least, it is flyable...