"Mutual Support" 2v2 BVR Tournament v3 - 10/17/2020

dundun92

text162923.png

INTRO

Mutual Support is a 2v2 BVR Tournament. Naturally, the smaller team sizes often lead to more aggressive and interesting fights that are focused on solid mutual support.

Various editions of it will have various rulesets based on the approximate time era chosen; this edition is early 1980s themed.

DATE AND TIME

This third edition of Mutual Support will start at 2030z on October 17th, 2020. The running time will be no greater than 3 hrs. If this is exceeded, the competition will be resumed one of the the following Saturdays at a similar time, based on the teams preference.

Registration ends on October 15th.

OBJECTIVES AND TOURNAMENT STYLE

Each match is conducted as best of three rounds. The objective is to destroy all enemy aircraft (by doing so preventing them from RTBing), and still be able to RTB to the designated base. Note that enforcing the RTB is up to the loosing team; if they want they can tell the winning team to simply respawn.

The competition is a knockout-style competition, with teams being eliminated after loosing a 3 round match. Time permitting, looser of the first round of fights will participate in a separate championship.

RULES

1. A single team may be comprised of as many pilots as desired; however, only two (see rule 16) may be used at a time.
  2. Only one pilot is allowed to change between rounds (note that for the F-14, changing RIOs is allowed as much as desired).
  3. Aircraft types may not be changed between rounds. Weapons loadout, however, can be.
  4. Mixed fleets of aircraft are allowed (e.g, one F-18C and one J-11A).
  5. All spawns are air spawns separated by 100-120nm.

6. Either of designated airbases for the chosen arena (Anapa-Maykop and Kutaisi-Tiblisi) is a valid RTB airbase.
  7. The competition will be on Caucasus; there are two different arenas that will be alternated between rounds: Anapa-Maykop, and Kutaisi-Tiblisi. The map used first will be determined randomly.
  8. There is an engagement zone centered on the bullseye. This engagement zone will extend out to the spawn bases. You must stay within this engagement zone at all times; if you exit it you will be removed from the fight and cannot participate further.
  9. Weapons employment from outside the engagement zone is not permitted.
  10. [DELETED]
  11. Ping limit of 300 is server-enforced.
  12. Lonewolfs are allowed; the pairings are to be decided automatically the day before the matchup, and will stay that way for the tournament. Alternatively, you may decide on the pairings yourselves; in that case, simply state the agreed pairings no later than October 16th at 2300z.

13. AWACS will be present, but will NOT have datalink enabled.
  14. To keep the event running smoothly, I would ask that suggestions/questions be kept until the end of the event, unless they are relevant to/will affect the remaining rounds (e.g, concerns about excessive lag/rubber banding).
  15. One squadron may enter up to 2 primary teams. Any further teams will be put on a reserve roster to allow space to accommodate more teams. If a team cannot show up, or registration is not full by registration end, reserve teams will be moved to the primary roster.
  16. Teams using aircraft defined as "reduced capability" may have an additional aircraft in the roster. The aircraft falling under this category are: F-5E, F-16C [Pending further discussion], MiG-21Bis. Teams applying this rule can have teams comprised of ONLY reduced capability aircraft (e.g, you need to have 3 F-5s, not 2 F-5s and 1 F-15).
  17. The JHMCS will be disabled for capable aircraft (F-16 and F/A-18)

18. More Rules TBD

WEAPONS RESTRICTIONS

This edition features a roughly 1980s rule set with some exceptions.

The BANNED weapons are: All ARH missiles, R-27ER/ET, AIM-9X, Nukes.

Restricted weapons are: None

COMMUNICATION

All team captains must be present on the Alamo Squadron Teamspeak (server info below) during play.

IP: 73.32.85.67

PW: 5775

Questions are to be asked either in PMs, or on this thread.

STREAMING AND PRIZES

There is no anticipated stream as of RN. If you would want to volunteer DM me.

There are no prizes, its simply for the fun of it!

REGISTRATION

Registration format is as follows:

[Team Name]

Player #1

Player #2

Player #3

As an example

Alamo Squadron

Alamo 1-1 | dundun92

Alamo 1-2 | Dankguy

There will be a limit of 16 teams.

OTHER RESOURCES

For those that may be interested, but may not be familiar with 2v2 BVR, the 2v1, 2v2, and Tactical Intercepts of "Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering" are very informative. It is widely available as a PDF online.

Edited by dundun92

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

~reserved~

REGISTERED TEAMS (4/16):

141st Royal Sidewinders

Alamo Squadron

Eclipse Task Force

Iranian Sky Guardians

RESERVE TEAMS:

None

Edited by dundun92

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

So an initial question, looking for opinions: should the F-16 fall under rule 16? It lacks SARH missiles which is obviously a handicap but it has things that the other limited capability aircraft dont (decent radar, F-F DL, good RWR). This gives a ton of SA going into the merge that the other jets that are allowed 3 just dont have. What are you guys thoughts?

HP Z400 Workstation

Make it an early 90s event 120B vs ER/ET.

Makes F16 viable with Bs

2 pheonix 47s for the cats.

Отправлено с моего STV100-2 через Tapatalk

That was the weapons set of the first edition actually, and I do intend to repeat it in a later edition. Just wanted to mix things up, as the last two editions were both with AMRAAMs.

HP Z400 Workstation

Alamo Squadron

Alamo 1-1 | dundun92

Alamo 1-2 | Dankguy

Alamo 1-3 | Griffin

Alamo 1-4 | Prez

Edited by dundun92

HP Z400 Workstation

Which Aim 7s variant are you pitting vs R

You do realize the 7 has a pretty massive disparity in kinematics vs R right?

If its 80s pick an early 7 variant that matches, IMO

Breakshot_Sig_2.jpg

Tim "Breakshot" Mytrofanov | C.O. of 51 ПВО / 100 КИАП Regiments | twitch.tv/51breakshot

I didnt have any AIM-7 limits planned. The straight line kinetics of all the AIM-7s post the F are the same. And the loft on the m/h hurts more than helps most of the time. Biggest difference is CCM, which just ranges from super trash on the E/F to mildly trash on the MH.

Also you do have to consider that red will have DL. Blue will not (definitely not AWACS, potentially not link16 if theres a way to disable it).

HP Z400 Workstation

Yes jester is allowed

HP Z400 Workstation

So you are handicapping red on weapons but compensating with AWACS?

Not sure I understand the logic. But okay

Im not trying to handicap red, im just looking at the whole picture. These are contemporary missiles. Its not as black white as "AIM-7 has better kinematics than the R-27R". If either missile were particularly hard to chaff then it would be different, but both are very easy to defeat with CMs/beaming. Also the main blue aircraft, the F-18, has significantly worse kinematics than a Flanker/Fulcrum. And the F-15 is pretty much stuck with using AIM-7Fs, due to the broken lofting on its M/Hs. Not to mention it has no form of DL/Link.

Also, post-merge, the Flankers have the clear edge WVR with the R-73s and HMDs, while blue will have only 9Ms and no HMDs. Again this isnt an attempt to handicap red, but i'm not going for perfect balance either. Thats just not reasonably happening. Planes/missiles will have advantages/disadvantages. I think the current setup is sufficiently balanced where red can compete.

HP Z400 Workstation

Thanks for setting up another so quickly.

What do you think about air starts w/~80nm separation, and having to land at a centrally located airfield? Doing full satal rounds with startup and takeoff for just 2v2 is a bit of a time commitment for the amount of action. This is how Arena (2v2 fox 1) was set up and thought it was a solid format

Thanks for setting up another so quickly.

What do you think about air starts w/~80nm separation, and having to land at a centrally located airfield? Doing full satal rounds with startup and takeoff for just 2v2 is a bit of a time commitment for the amount of action. This is how Arena (2v2 fox 1) was set up and thought it was a solid format

I will cosnsider it, if I did it would mean only two standard loadouts for each aircraft. Which for most a/c is fine.

HP Z400 Workstation

So i have decided, I will move to airspawns to save time. For the F-16 and JF-17 the default loadous would be fairly standard with all IR missiles. For the F-15 itd be the standard 4*4 load. For the Flankers, there would be options of 1 or 2 ETs, for MIG-29 the options would be one or none. F-18 will likely have 6 AIM-7*2 AIM-9 and 4*6 loadouts. I am no expert on the cold war jets like the MiG-21 however, so for any teams that go that route, what would be a pretty standard loadout? (f-5 would be fairly simple, just 2x AIM-9)

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

HP Z400 Workstation

If you run 90s again, keep in mind that the gap between SD10 and 120C (in favor of SD10) is higher than between 120B and 120C. [ATTACH]249576[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]249577[/ATTACH]

Im aware, but this would be at least 3 weeks away for the 1990s edition after this so I have no clue whay may/may not change with patches.

HP Z400 Workstation

So i have decided, the F-16 will not fall under rule 16, unless I can find a way to disable link 16 for it.

HP Z400 Workstation

Here are the brackets:

image.png

HP Z400 Workstation

Just a reminder that the tournament is in just under 30mins. Stream is yet TBD

HP Z400 Workstation

I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it my dcs is broke. When I start up dcs in vr and I'm in the hanger with the plane I now have no start screen its just the plane and nothing else. It worked a few hours ago fine . I have no mods or anything and ran repair twice. Trying to fix it but I dont know.