LTD/R Switch Control Mappings

Wesjet

Question on if anyone can reproduce this and if it's a bug or labelling issue.

I was pleased to find that the external lights now not only have separate bindings for ON and OFF, which took two switches on my HOTAS but there is now a SPECIAL category binding that can allow me to use one single position toggle switch (one of the ENG switches on TM WH throttle) for both.

Since I had a free switch I wanted to employ the same strategy for the LTD/R switch.

It appears to have a SPECIAL AFT/SAFE binding available but when I assigned it and tried it nothing happened (issue #1). Now I had misread that as ARM/SAFE which would make more sense, but even so - using that joystick binding would not move the switch to either arm or safe position.

Secondly, there is a binding for LTD/R labelled as "cycle" - I figured this would work with a single push button, press once for ARM, again for SAFE and so on, as a toggle. Assigning this binding, it actually works like the SPECIAL control would. (issue #2). So actual function is Switch on = ARM, switch off = safe.

Shouldn't the Special be ARM (switch on) and SAFE (switch off) with the CYCLE binding acting as a toggle (press to change position)?

My Rig:

CPU: i9-9900k - Corsair H150 Cooler. RAM: 32GB, 3200Mhz.

Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS Formula XI - Main Drive: 512GB NvME SSD

DCS Drive: 512GB NvME SSD - Graphics: GTX 1070 Ti. Display: 23" 1080p LG LCD.

Input: Razer Naga & Blackwidow Ultimate, TrackIR 5, HOTAS Warthog & MFDs (x4), Saitek Rudder Pedals, TurtleBeach PX22 Headset.

Question on if anyone can reproduce this and if it's a bug or labelling issue.

Since I had a free switch I wanted to employ the same strategy for the LTD/R switch.

It appears to have a SPECIAL AFT/SAFE binding available but when I assigned it and tried it nothing happened (issue #1). Now I had misread that as ARM/SAFE which would make more sense, but even so - using that joystick binding would not move the switch to either arm or safe position.

Shouldn't the Special be ARM (switch on) and SAFE (switch off) with the CYCLE binding acting as a toggle (press to change position)?

Did you have both the master arm switch "on" as well as the A/G mode button enabled? Using a switch for the LTD/R works for me, but you have to have both of those master modes "on" otherwise it will not move the LTD/R switch from the aft postition.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Did you have both the master arm switch "on" as well as the A/G mode button enabled? Using a switch for the LTD/R works for me, but you have to have both of those master modes "on" otherwise it will not move the LTD/R switch from the aft postition.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Yes, all my test were done with the A/G mode active, TGP on, and FLIR page active.

That is how I found the one assignment method to work (just not as expected based on the label) and the other (first) to not function - it would not turn the switch to ARM, and when the switch was set to ARM manually by the mouse it would not return it to SAFE either.

I have had enough frustration with that switch when I first learned how it worked to not forget that! :thumbup:

My Rig:

Input: Razer Naga & Blackwidow Ultimate, TrackIR 5, HOTAS Warthog & MFDs (x4), Saitek Rudder Pedals, TurtleBeach PX22 Headset.

Weird, guess I am not understanding the issue. Works great for me, but I have it assigned to the CON rocker switch on a Thrustmaster MFD.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

LTD/R Cycle command works exactly as you want for me. Keep in mind you need to be in A/G Mode, Master Arm ON, and have a FLIR pod on your aircraft or it'll just spring back to SAFE on it's own.

The LTD/R switch used to have 3 positions: ARM, SAFE, and AFT, but the Aft position was removed because it was not correct for our Hornet. One of the AFT keybindings is still floating around in there though to confuse people.

LTD/R Cycle command works exactly as you want for me. Keep in mind you need to be in A/G Mode, Master Arm ON, and have a FLIR pod on your aircraft or it'll just spring back to SAFE on it's own.

The LTD/R switch used to have 3 positions: ARM, SAFE, and AFT, but the Aft position was removed because it was not correct for our Hornet. One of the AFT keybindings is still floating around in there though to confuse people.

Yes, LTD/R Cycle works as desired, but usually this type of switch assignment is under the "special" commands, such as the APU switch or the External Lights switch. "Cycle" usually means like a toggle, press on, press again for off.

That would be that Special AFT/SAFE one then I guess.

So they should be tidied up a bit, I guess.

My Rig:

I think the "Special" commands work for the Warthog to use both switch positions with on command. Isn't it?

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I simply mapped the Laser Target Designator/Ranger switch to the TM WH HOTAS Throttle [FLOW R] switch using the default DCS mapping/binding of "LTD/R Switch - ARM" in the Controls Menu. I did not have any luck with the so called "special for joystick" mapping. You can use any 2 postion toggle you would like.

The actual switch in the real Hornet is magnetically held in the upper ARM position (after all parameters are set as mentioned before, A/G mode, FLIR mode, etc). All I do to ARM the LTD is to flip that switch up and then down and that will ARM the Laser. The switch function/logic will then go back to the "SAFE position" automatically when the time comes after weapon release, etc.

Just repeat flipping that switch up and then down, functionality it will not be an issue. Exact same thing for the [APU-START] switch.

---

Edited by Noluck

PC: Windows 10 Pro X64, AMD FX8120 8 Core @ ~4.0GHz, 32GB DDR3-1600, GTX 1080 8Gb, 1 TB EVO 860 SSD | Displays: 3 Dell HD 1920x1080 @ 5520x1080 windowed ||| Hardware : TM Warthog HOTAS Stick+Throttle | 3x TM Cougar MFD's | WW Combat Panel | WW Landing Panel ||| Mods: F/A-18C | F-16 | P51-D | UH-1H | C130-J | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Syria | Channel | Normandy | WWII Assets | Super Carrier | Combined Arms

• 3 weeks later...

I'm missing something here. I have bound the LTD/R switch to a 2-position switch. However I cannot get it to do anything. I cannot even switch it UP with the mouse, and when I hover the mouse over it, there is no "hint" about the function of the switch. I'm in A/G mode and have a TGP. Do I need some specific payload (apart from the TGP) for the switch to be enabled?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I'm missing something here. I have bound the LTD/R switch to a 2-position switch. However I cannot get it to do anything. I cannot even switch it UP with the mouse, and when I hover the mouse over it, there is no "hint" about the function of the switch. I'm in A/G mode and have a TGP. Do I need some specific payload (apart from the TGP) for the switch to be enabled?

A/G mode active and Master Arm armed should be the only 2 criterion that I'm aware of to switch it on (although something makes me want to say you can't have W.O.W. but I can't say that for sure). Definitely something funky going on in your case because even if these conditions aren't met you should be able to flip it to armed, it will just automatically flip off immediately :dontgetit:

Thanks! I ran Repair and that fixed switch behaviour. When I re-activated my mods the problem was back. So I need to review my "default.lua".

However, I do not undestand the usage scenario of the switch. Is there a Wags videp for it?

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I found the culprit: I had modified the "command_defs_lua" earlier on, to add a macro command. In the meantime, the LTD/R command (and some others) was added to that file, and of course, my modified file did not have these commands. Now everything works fine. I have bound the "ENG FUEL FLOW R" switch to the command "LTD/R Switch - ARM" and that command provides correct function for a maintained 2-position switch. The naming is misleading of course.

LeCuvier

I have bound the "ENG FUEL FLOW R" switch to the command "LTD/R Switch - ARM" and that command provides correct function for a maintained 2-position switch.

In case you missed it (or forgot in figuring out why the switch wasn't working at all :)) be aware that in the Hornet the LTD/R switch automatically SAFES itself after it finishes firing so you normally have to re-arm it for each run (unlike say the MASTER ARM that gets flipped on and stays on until you want to flip it off). Not sure if you'll have to flip the ENG FUEL FLOW R off and on each time to reset it or whether it will stay on with the way you have it programed.:huh:

The naming is misleading of course.

I just have a piece of black bristol board (light cardboard) cut out sit over the throttle and I use a labeler to print the appropriate new commands for switch for how I have them mapped for the Hornet. Slips on and off easily if I want to use it as Warthog throttle and I don't have to remember what I have mapped where on the Hornet.

Not sure if you'll have to flip the ENG FUEL FLOW R off and on each time to reset it or whether it will stay on with the way you have it programed.:huh:

That was my thought as well, not sure if it will actually override the LTD/R switch moving to the AFT position after the laser has completed it's cycle and weapon has impacted.

Curious to see if his method can override and leave the LTD/R switch in the ARM position. Please let us know @LeCuvier

Example: In the A10C I/II, the EAC switch will not stay in the forward position if you have not properly completed the alignment steps and associated system activations (example not moved SAS switches to the forward position) - however, if you were to move the physical EAC switch on the TM Warthog HOTAS - it will keep the EAC switch in the forward position in the game, even though you still have an EAC warning on the advisory panel.

Cheers,

Ziptie

...Curious to see if his method can override and leave the LTD/R switch in the ARM position. Please let us know @LeCuvier

As I said, I bound the command "LTD/R Switch - ARM" to the "ENG FUEL FLOW R" switch. The switch in the cockpit moves in sync with the physical switch. No need to cycle. However, I'm still learning how to use this stuff. I read somewhere that the switch in the real cockpit is magnetically latched and will revert to "SAFE" when the target has been hit. In that case, the switch on my throttle would still be in the "ARM" position and so the two won't match. I have to go through the motions and see what actually happens.

LeCuvier