Universal Laser Code Implementation

tech_op2000

I saw for the a-10C II a discussion about setting laser codes for weapons. It brought to mind the fact that the implementation is non standard across modules. They also pointed out that it is not possible to change the weapon codes inflight IRL.

Here is a possible way to implement it that could be standard across all modules and intuitive for new users. It would also give a mechanism for preventing inflight reassignment of codes (or allow it if you want to appease fans) without making the modules' avionics unrealistic.

REARM.png

The idea is simple. If you select a laser guided weapon during rearm, it would pop up a box beneath it to enter in the laser code. You may need to also implement some message that pops up as error or defaults back to 1688 if an invalid code is entered. If a player wanted to review their codes inflight they could just pull up the rearm screen again. If you wanted to be nice to players who like changing their codes inflight maybe put a button in there to update codes. (this button could also be the way to trigger the "Invalid Code" message if a code entered was outside of acceptable ranges.

+1

Very good idea indeed!

This way, there's also no more need for unrealistic code changing from inside the cockpit

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

+1

Very good idea indeed!

This way, there's also no more need for unrealistic code changing from inside the cockpit

Just curious, is the F/A-18 implementation realistic? That's the only module I own that can change codes inflight. Super practical, I am just wondering if that is the case IRL.

The kneeboard thing is a real hassle for me in VR (when I fly the Viper). This new idea is really good, I support it wholeheartedly.

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

+1

Very good idea indeed!

Except when dealing with AI JTACs. Currently, there is no way of telling the JTAC which code to use. Fixing that issue is a prerequisite before removing the in-flight code change workaround.

Just curious, is the F/A-18 implementation realistic? That's the only module I own that can change codes inflight. Super practical, I am just wondering if that is the case IRL.

The kneeboard thing is a real hassle for me in VR (when I fly the Viper). This new idea is really good, I support it wholeheartedly.

It's only realistic for the Maverick. It's made up for the other weapons.

+1 awesome idea! :thumbup:

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

This has been proposed several times over the past few months/years. Having to set the laser code on the rearming window as shown above is the best possible solution!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Just keep in mind that this there are two parts to this. The first is the great idea you suggested, and the second is making the AI JTAC capable of changing laser codes when communicating with a plane.

I always thought making those changes is low priority since making an overhaul to the JTAC system is probably low priority as well. After the F16 came out with a more true to life way ot changing the code, I don't know what's their take on this anymore.

Just keep in mind that this there are two parts to this. The first is the great idea you suggested, and the second is making the AI JTAC capable of changing laser codes when communicating with a plane.

I always thought making those changes is low priority since making an overhaul to the JTAC system is probably low priority as well. After the F16 came out with a more true to life way ot changing the code, I don't know what's their take on this anymore.

I don't really understand why changing the laser code implementation would also require changing the laser code handling by the JTAC? You could still use the 1688 code regardless, even with the proposed new laser code implementation.

Of course it would be nice, if we could ask the JTAC to change it's code, but I don't see a dependency.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I don't really understand why changing the laser code implementation would also require changing the laser code handling by the JTAC? You could still use the 1688 code regardless, even with the proposed new laser code implementation.

Of course it would be nice, if we could ask the JTAC to change it's code, but I don't see a dependency.

I think it is because in a multi location Mission. You don't have the freedom to engage targets with multiple jtacs without either you changing codes inflight or the jtac changing codes to match your stores.

I would not be opposed to having a mission preset to allow or deny inflight code changing.

I could see how allowing players to tell the JTAC what code to lase could be very useful for pilots or could be hell for multiplayer servers.

In any case, standardizing it across modules would be a step in the right direction

May I suggest an improvement over OPs solution? How about a button instead of the input field for the laser code. Pressing the button opens a new window that allows to configure the settings of the weapon(s!) on the respective pylon: laser codes, pre-planned JDAM coordinates, and in general all kind of fuze settings (--> CBUs!).

A separate window is probably easier to implement for the devs as the implact of such a change on existing code should be minimal and also allows for far more flexibility.

I'm in full support for this, so long as AI JTAC gets the ability to change laser code. This has bugged me for a long time, and a consistent (and realistic) implementation of this system should be undertaken, where laser codes are not changable in flight.

I think it is because in a multi location Mission. You don't have the freedom to engage targets with multiple jtacs without either you changing codes inflight or the jtac changing codes to match your stores.

I would not be opposed to having a mission preset to allow or deny inflight code changing.

I could see how allowing players to tell the JTAC what code to lase could be very useful for pilots or could be hell for multiplayer servers.

In any case, standardizing it across modules would be a step in the right direction

You can't change the code inflight on the F-16, F-5, F-14 and M2000 already. The proposed implementation wouldn't change anything in this regard.

But yeah, the ability for the JTAC to be able to change laser designator code on request is needed anyways.

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes +1000, this should really be the only way to adjust it as it is the closest thing as changing the actual dials!!

They should also do a similar thing for the dials on the GBU-24 to set it’s delivery mode! The Arming menu is 100% the best place to do these kinds of things

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]