TrackIR Critical?

I was wondering how many players use TrackIR (not counting VR) to control their game play? I would think that trying to switch cockpit views using keys must be cumbersome especially if you are locked into a dogfight and you need to keep your head on a swivel.

I use a Delan Clip (Poor Man`s TrackIR), which works fantastic by the way, and I could not imagine flying in DCS without it. Don`t know what else to say really. Cheers.

Thank you for the feedback. Not counting price is there any other reason you decided to get the Delan Clip?

Yes TrackIR is really essential. Sell whatever body parts or fluids you need to in order to get one :pilotfly:

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Or check out smoothtrack I think it is. An app that uses the camera on your phone that can work with opentrack to replicate trackIR for a fraction of a fraction the cost!

I'll be honest - I've used TrackIR for years and it's been brilliant and wouldn't have done without it. But with the cost of TrackIR today, vs so many alternatives, and then vs the price of some VR head units - I don't think I would buy trackIR again if mine died now. I think I'd try out smoothtrack first, that's for sure.

I would think that trying to switch cockpit views using keys must be cumbersome especially if you are locked into a dogfight and you need to keep your head on a swivel.

You are 200% correct.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Yeah I think Track IR (or equivalent) is essential to enjoying the experience of flying in DCS or any other sim for that matter.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

As mentioned before, Smoothtrack for android/iphone is a pretty good cheap alternative. I used Delanclip before, but it has a certain "deadzone" when 2 of the 3 leds line up where it just loses track and it's annoying, plus it's one additional cable on your head.

I tried many facetracking solutions, most of them are horribly inaccurate and/or have terrible lag, Smoothtrack worked the best so far for me.

Absolutely necessary. When I started playing DCS the first thing I bought was a TrackIR. It was a year later when I also bought a Joystick/Throttle (was using Xbox Gamepad until then).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm using TrackIR v5 (mostly for IL-2 as it doesn't have a clickable cockpit and fumbling for controls while playing in VR is a great way to become a bullet-sponge) and just picked up a Delanclip Fusion. Main reason is that TrackIR works best with an active light source, and the TrackClip Pro is an overly-fragile POS. Never heard of smoothtrackbefore but I might give it a go.

Whatever head tracker you use, you should find it a real improvement over having to look using your mouse or joystick hat button.

Edited by jym

I would think that trying to switch cockpit views using keys must be cumbersome especially if you are locked into a dogfight and you need to keep your head on a swivel.

Assuming you have a HOTAS setup, there is no need to use a keyboard for switching views, i.e., just bind them to a multi-point of view switch on your stick. That has always worked fine for me. However, I am sure the TrackIR users prefer their method, depends on what you get used to.

Assuming you have a HOTAS setup, there is no need to use a keyboard for switching views, i.e., just bind them to a multi-point of view switch on your stick. That has always worked fine for me. However, I am sure the TrackIR users prefer their method, depends on what you get used to.

I had that attitude for many years before I finally caved and got Track IR. Holy crap, the difference was huge and I still have regrets (5 years later) that I didn't move to TIR sooner.