Guide to transfer keybinds from old A-10

Hi,

I have seen multiple people struggle with transferring keybinds. Here is one easy and simple way to do it. I believe you can do this via .lua files, but I'm not an expert on those and I'm going to leave that to the lua wizards.

Some explanation:

-Profiles are per device so you need to create one file for each device.

-You need to create a separate file for "keybinds" and "axis commands" (I do axis manually, it's easier and you can make sure everything is right)

-Make sure the correct column is highlighted when saving or loading a profile

-You can save profiles for each device, then go load them, you don't immediately need to go load it after saving.

-Name the files so you remember which one it was for example name them "a10throttle.diff.lua", "a10joystick.diff.lua"...

-You can delete these files after you are done, but I recommend keeping them if you accidentally clear keybinds or reset them to default.

1 Go to "Settings" -> "Controls" select "A-10C Real"

2 Highlight any keybind under "Keyboard" (So that the keyboard column is highlighted)

3 Press "Save profile as", name the file and save it to a folder that you can find later (the default one it opens to is fine, it will always open the same one)

4 Then select "A-10C II Real"

5 (Same as step 2) Highlight any keybind under "Keyboard" (So that the keyboard column is highlighted)

6 Press "Clear category" to make sure no keybinds overlap and do weird things

7 (Same as step 2) Highlight any keybind under "Keyboard" (So that the keyboard column is highlighted)

8 Press "Load profile" locate and select the file you named in step 3

Done, repeat the process for other devices.

• Like 1

Thanks!

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Sorry, very dumb question which is probably covered somewhere that I can't find: How do I assign functions to HOTAS controls if the function is not listed in the control list?

I just installed the A-10C II and it changed several HOTAS functions which I want to change back to how they are with my original A-10. For example, CHINA HAT AFT SHORT boresights the TGP on the original and it's LSS TOGGLE on the A-10C II. How do I make CHINA HAT AFT SHORT boresight the TGP on the A-10CII when all I can do in Adjust Controls is assign CHINA HAT AFT to a switch on my throttle and there is no Boresight TGP operation to assign?

Then, of course, how do I assign LSS TOGGLE back to DMS RIGHT LONG? Etc., etc.

And where's Boresight TGP on the A-10C II anyway? I don't see it on the new HOTAS Commands references.

Sorry, very dumb question which is probably covered somewhere that I can't find: How do I assign functions to HOTAS controls if the function is not listed in the control list?

I just installed the A-10C II and it changed several HOTAS functions which I want to change back to how they are with my original A-10. For example, CHINA HAT AFT SHORT boresights the TGP on the original and it's LSS TOGGLE on the A-10C II. How do I make CHINA HAT AFT SHORT boresight the TGP on the A-10CII when all I can do in Adjust Controls is assign CHINA HAT AFT to a switch on my throttle and there is no Boresight TGP operation to assign?

And where's Boresight TGP on the A-10C II anyway? I don't see it on the new HOTAS Commands references.

The short answer is, I don't think you can assign functions like that from the DCS menu.

There was also a whole thread about china hat aft and boresight. Apparently, it is correct as is now. The thread has some workarounds.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Eeagle%2Eru%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D287452&share_tid=287452&share_fid=74365&share_type=t&link_source=app

That's too bad. I guess I just never realized you could assign functions to some HOTAS switches but not others. For example, I changed the functions of my CMS switch and Boat switch just fine, but it won't let me do anything with the China Hat, or TMS/DMS, etc.

If they won't let users map important HOTAS functions, it would be nice if they at least allowed you to map them to a keystroke as a secondary method.

The A-10 hotas functions were changed to a more realistic set of hotas commands. According to SMEs the hotas commands are now like they are in the real bird and there is no boresight function in real life. LSS toggle is now china hat aft short, tms right long now makes previous markpoint spi. It's odd at first, but now I find the hotas commands make more sense and are easier to use than previously.

It's great that they try to make this sim realistic, and that's what we generally want, but given that it's a sim there are tradeoffs that should be made to compensate for the fact that we're not sitting in a cockpit and therefore have limited interaction options. It takes a quarter second for a real A-10 pilot to reach up and boresight the TGP with an OSB without disrupting whatever he's doing. But we now have to stop what we're doing, pan down to the cockpit, grab the mouse, click on the Standby OSB, then click back, then get back to what we were doing.

That's cumbersome, impacts situational awareness, takes your eyes off the fight, detracts from the immersion of the sim, and isn't user friendly. So in the previous A-10 they smartly mapped an often-used function to a simple switch movement on the HOTAS. Simple, easy, and useful.

I understand that the devs can't make everything perfect for every user, that's why allowing the user to map the controls as they need to depending on their setup would be very beneficial.

For example, my throttle does not have a boat switch so I have to assign boat switch functions to other switches, but I can't assign the China Hat to other functions, and I can't assign a long press to anything. Or why am I able to assign autopilot functions to one of my 4-way throttle switches, but I can't assign functions to the 4-way DMS switch on the stick?

If they're not going to allow us to assign the boresight function to the China Hat, why not at least allow us to assign it to a keystroke? Not as good as the China Hat, but much simpler and faster than the current workarounds.