How To Wire ON-OFF-ON Switch?

Kenpilot

Hey guys, starting to wire up switches for my A10 sim pit. The ON-OFF switches are simple but how do I wire ON-OFF-ON switches? I'm using a groovy game gear card. I know the (+) of the top ON position goes to one of the inputs on the card, and the (-) goes to ground, same with the bottom ON position, but how do I wire the middle OFF position? The DPDT switch I have is labeled 1-2-3 down the left side and 4-5-6 down the right side. I couldn't find a schematic of the switch so I have no idea which side is + and which is negative either. Picture attached. Thanks for any help!

20201002_021714.thumb.jpg.6a008cdddd9bcc1aa0f224c969a19d02.jpg

Windows 10

ASRock Z370 Extreme4 LGA 1151 (300 Series) MOBO

intel i7-8700k (Not overclocked)

16 GB Ram

EVGA GeForce GTX 108ti SC Black Edition

SSD

Trackir

Ok I figured out how to wire the ON positions, but how do I wire the OFF position so that when I select the toggle switch to OFF, the switch in the sim/cockpit goes to off as well?

Windows 10

16 GB Ram

SSD

Trackir

Hi!

Unless you want to activate two different functions with one "click", you use only 3 of the terminals. Mid is ground and the others go to the input terminals on your board.

Sorry, I don't mean to state the obvious but just in case... The other 3 lugs on the switch housing are infact a separate switch, You just activate it simultaneously with the other.

i9-9900K 4,9Ghz, 2080ti, 32Gb, 1Gb m.2, Index, WinWing throttle, Baur BRD-N, Crosswind pedals, Orbwiever and tm mfd`s, all in a Hornet simpit.

Ok I figured out how to wire the ON positions, but how do I wire the OFF position so that when I select the toggle switch to OFF, the switch in the sim/cockpit goes to off as well?

That is dependent on the key binding settings on your sim. i.e. ON - else OFF.

i9-9900K 4,9Ghz, 2080ti, 32Gb, 1Gb m.2, Index, WinWing throttle, Baur BRD-N, Crosswind pedals, Orbwiever and tm mfd`s, all in a Hornet simpit.

That is dependent on the key binding settings on your sim. i.e. ON - else OFF.

I'm not sure what you mean by that?

Windows 10

16 GB Ram

SSD

Trackir

With an On-Off-On switch, your interface can't understand that the switch is in the Off position, it can understand that it's in neither of the On positions. So if your interface permits it, you have to program the action for the center position to be sent when neither of the On positions are active.

Or you can use an On-On-On switch.

Off to ground. The two on’s on a digital pin. But like previous user said, the game doesnt recognize the off position. Indeed Better use on on on switch (if available, never heard of it)

I still use On off on position for the f16 master arm switch for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you dig into that tread, you'll find a way to flick the switch into the "off" position without switching it to "on" again.

Modifying the *.luas does the trick.

Edited by sharkfin61

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

NEW RIG:

RYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)

As it's a DPDT, there MIGHT be a way to wire it so that it provides a 3rd 0V output using the second side.

hylU08A.png

This uses the first side to make 2 outputs the "normal" way.

The second is used kind of in reverse to make the third output.

1 and 2 require pull-ups to be ON. 3 requires pullups to be OFF.

The value of R1 may need to be tweaked to work better, but shouldn't be set too low.

I've not tried this, but i think it should work on an Arduino at least. I have no ide about other devices.

The theory is that it actively grounds the second side common pin when the switch is in the middle position and therefore not connected to either of the other two contacts.

groovy game gear card

Using this card - intend for Arcade controls, all this complicates switches suggestions is moot, because they require a card with custom firmware. E.g. Arduino with Cub firmware, or custom developed firmware for send command in OFF change state of switch.

OP best solution is edit LUA files for have command in OFF state of an ON-OFF-ON swich.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Thanks for all the responses guys, I appreciate it. I'm looking in to how to change the LUA files to see if I can figure that out. Otherwise, I may have to look in to getting ON-ON-ON switches.

Windows 10

16 GB Ram

SSD

Trackir

Thanks for all the responses guys, I appreciate it. I'm looking in to how to change the LUA files to see if I can figure that out. Otherwise, I may have to look in to getting ON-ON-ON switches.

That would eat up more ports, but it would be simpler.

The lua files are all a bit different, but the logic is the same.

Have a look at the parent thread (Input/Output) as there is a sticky "how to..." for switch configs.

Also, have a look at this thread

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2893725&postcount=104

Also, search for "How to Edit Control Binding Files.pdf" on google and you'll find quite a few examples and explanations.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1