Virpil Mongoose CM2 Throttle Feedback and Reviews?

Lynchsl62

So I am looking at the Virpil Mongoose CM2 Throttle as a purchase, primarily to use with simple twin engine jets such as Mig 19, and A-10C Thunderbolt II. Seen a few reviews on youtube and they are generally positive(?). I am not really bothered by afterburner detents.

What is the real community feedback on the CM2 Throttle, is it worth the investment over the existing Warthog HOTAS, or am I just as well staying wth the Warthog. I would like a VKB throttle, but I don't think that is happening any time soon

PC: 9980XE @ 64GB RAM /2080Ti, Samsung C49RG90

Joystick bases: VKB GFIII, FSSB R3L, Brunner CLS-E, Virpil Mongoos CM2

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

Throttles: Virpil CM2, Kantorrin,

Other: TrackIR, TM MFDx2 (Cubesim Screenx2), Virpil Control Panel 1

With the A-10C the Warthog throttle is definitely the best option. You may want to consider the Ministick Mod from Delta Sim Electronics to enhance it, though.

The Virpil CM2 is a fantastic piece of hardware and if you run out of switches/hats buttons it is great, but it lacks certain switches you have on the Warthog, that matches the A-10C one-to-one e.g. Boat switch or Airbrake vs. momentary hat-switches on the Virpil throttle.

I use the Virpil CM2 since a couple months and I've added a afterburner Detent Mod. So I am happy with the multitude of switches that I can adapt to lots of different modules, but if you really focus on the A-10C(II) and MiG-19P, I doubt you will have a big advantage over the HOTAS Warthog throttle.

EDIT link to Ministick mod:

https://deltasimelectronics.com/

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I have had a WH set for years, and got a CM2 a few months back.

The CM2 has plenty of buttons/hats for the A-10C in DCS, but obviously not a 1:1 like the WH.

Right grip outer panel:

* 5-way hat for coms (the one that has rotary encoder ring at base of hat). - I use the push button for Discord, and the 4-way for A-10C/SRS

* Top 5-way hat speed brake (up/down/press unused)

* Bottom 5-way hat (fwd/press/back = boat switch, up/down = china hat)

Right grip front

* 5-way hat = coolie (press for left throttle button)

* Analog stick = TDC

Left grip front

3-way switch for flaps (up/down and press unused)

Left outer grip

* Rotary cw/ccw/press = pinky fwd/back/center for lights

LASTE switches spread across bottom row of spring toggles and rotary dials. (A little wonky after using the 1:1 WH for years)

I use the square LED buttons behind each throttle for idle/cutoff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I am looking at the Virpil Mongoose CM2 Throttle as a purchase, primarily to use with simple twin engine jets such as Mig 19, and A-10C Thunderbolt II. Seen a few reviews on youtube and they are generally positive(?). I am not really bothered by afterburner detents.

What is the real community feedback on the CM2 Throttle, is it worth the investment over the existing Warthog HOTAS, or am I just as well staying wth the Warthog. I would like a VKB throttle, but I don't think that is happening any time soon

Apart from being an A-10C replica, there is nothing about the WH throttle that is as good as the CM2. I had a WH for years, but I was very happy to sell it a few months ago.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Apart from being an A-10C replica, there is nothing about the WH throttle that is as good as the CM2.

Maybe the price-tag & its availability?

If I would order a CM2 right now, how long would it take for it to arrive in western europe?

It also would cost me - all taxes and shipping included - ~420€. That`s close to a complete WH set. We`re not talking about quality of the WH here. Just pure costs :D

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

Maybe the price-tag & its availability?

If I would order a CM2 right now, how long would it take for it to arrive in western europe?

It also would cost me - all taxes and shipping included - ~420€. That`s close to a complete WH set. We`re not talking about quality of the WH here. Just pure costs :D

The OP was asking if the CM2 was worth the investment or should he stay with his WH. My answer is a resounding yes, it is worth the investment He is clearly aware of the cost, and availability is not relevant to the discussion. He can keep his WH while he waits a few weeks.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Apart from being an A-10C replica, ...

That is the important point to consider, if he intents to mostly fly the A-10C II.

The idle detents are (currently) problematic with the CM2, even with a detent mod and virtual detent buttons.

The hats on the CM2 have all momentary buttons no real positionable boat switch and brake switch. The pinky is a rotary dial and button.

You can work around these with the multitude of buttons and for flying half a dozen different Jets and Helos, the CM2 is definitely a great choice, but as a "replica" to fly the A-10C II the Warthog Throttle with the Delta Sim Electronics Ministick Mod, is definitely the better fitting solution, in my opinion.

That does not mean the CM2 is a bad kit, in fact it is a fantastic hardware, well built and I like it a lot.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

That’s what I said.... apart from being a A-10C replica.....!

All A-10C controls easily mapped and working nicely for me on the CM2.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the feedback, after considering the feedback I have decided to go ahead and replace the Warthog HOTAS with the Virpil. Placed an order, just got to wait

Joystick grips: Realsimulator (F-18CGRH, F-16SGRH-CE), VKB (MCG Pro, F-14, KG-12), Virpil Warbrd

You won’t regret it!

I'm using a T-50 throttle (one release before the CM2, but same grip design), and I really like the number of hats and various buttons in reach. I don't think it's possible to cram any more buttons to the throttle grips. China and boat switch are easily handled by two thumb hats, coolie and slew switch are also easily reachable with index and middle finger. Speed brakes can be controlled by 2 buttons besides the thumb hats.

This throttle can cover any jet with buttons to spare.

I've mapped rotary dial to steer point increase/decrease, very useful.

In the F-16, one thumb hat can handle both dogfight/missile override switch and AA/AG modes selection.

In the A10, another hat handles boat switch and nightvision gain, when enabled.

Not being a replica is a big benefit, if you play multiple games or planes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Apart from being an A-10C replica, there is nothing about the WH throttle that is as good as the CM2. I had a WH for years, but I was very happy to sell it a few months ago.

I didn't know you could adjust the throttle friction without opening the CM2 or that you could swap out the detents for different types of detents on the CM2. Great news!

I didn't know you could adjust the throttle friction without opening the CM2 or that you could swap out the detents for different types of detents on the CM2. Great news!

Neither of these is an issue for me. Adjusted the throttle friction once on the WH, and I don't care about physical detents. The friction setting on the Virpil throttle is perfect for me, and I use a virtual detent.

However, if these issues are really that important to you, then I would highly recommend you stick with the WH.

OK, so "Apart from being an A-10C replica, there is nothing about the WH throttle that is as good as the CM2." was an opinion, not a fact. I just wanted to clarify. :)

I would like to see the love child of a CM2 (number of "on throttle" handle functions), Warthog (swappable detents), WinWing (long throw and swappable throttles) and upcoming VKB throttle (whatever new item they bring to the table). It would probably be a $1500 throttle but damn cool.

The probable CM2 revision with the detents may have to suffice though although I am not a fan of the finger lifts. I wouldn't mind of they got rid of the awful yellow and black warning striping as well for a more clean look.

OK, so "Apart from being an A-10C replica, there is nothing about the WH throttle that is as good as the CM2." was an opinion, not a fact. I just wanted to clarify. :)

Yawn

• 1 month later...

I recieved the throttle 3 days ago and have set it up in DCS, Prepar3D and Il-2 BOS. All I can say is I have no regrets. The throttle is really impressive. Thanks to all who made me take the leap of faith. I know that there is a CM3 - but as I fly piston and early generation jets, can't say that this is an issue for me. I am sure the CM3 will be as superb as the CM2