Honey, I developed FFB joystick (DIY)

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 11:17 PM, propeler said:

Both variants will be possible. But will depend on logistics. I need to check if will be possible to ship outside the Europe.

Hello, @propeler great project, thank you, unfortunately github url is now 404, is there any way to get project documentation to try to reproduce it? 

14 hours ago, propeler said:

More documentation will be added later but firmware and ui are there https://github.com/o-devices/bldc-ffb-joystick

This is amazing!! Thanks a lot!!

From what I see you support thrustmaster. For virpil it works very similarly but they encode the axis in the shift registers.

Related code: https://github.com/gavazquez/ArduJoy/blob/master/CoolJoy.ino#L234

If you need more info let me know

• Like 1

Thought I'd better create a forum account to thank you all for the inspiration to build something better than the USB converted Sidewinder FFB PRO + TM Warthog F16 grip I'm using now (it works, but the grip is far too heavy for proper feedback).

Got a box in the mail today (ODrive 3.6 56V, AS5048a's, belts/pulleys/etc) to add to the motors which arrived a few weeks ago (Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 6374-149KV Brushless Outrunners) so I'm on my way 😃.

Still thinking through a gimbal design.  I'd ideally like to go something in a lower form factor to keep the option of using it on my desk rather than floor, which might mean going back to something like the FFB Pro sliding window design (though strengthened with a sliding rail under fixed pivot like @propeler was thinking here).  Though I may end up getting impatient and just Propeler's design from the github yet if I can't talk myself out of buying a furnace and lost PLA'ing it in aluminium 😄

"Assemblability" of new version with smaller motors is checked. Same gimbal style. More compact dimensions. Height can be reduced even more by extracting controller to the separate box. Link to files for DIY will be availables soon from github page.

20220722_113833.jpg

20220722_114025.jpg

20220722_114035.jpg

20220722_114106.jpg

20220721_154935.jpg

Edited by propeler
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2022 at 8:26 PM, propeler said:

https://github.com/o-devices/ffb-joystick-howerboard-motor-base all needed files to replicate v1. Feel free in building your own.

I'd started building this project under @propeler guidance, already ordered odrive board, encoders, metal parts manufacturing, and did motor preparation part.
I will do a photo report of the assembly process.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have never tried my MSFF2 joystick with DCS, so I don't know how well their "general FFB implementation" works, so I wanted to ask if you plan on adding "DCS export" to correctly read and use the ingame telemetry?

Or is that not needed, as the DX FFB is accurate enough?

Thanks and hopefully support for Winwing sticks is incoming^^

14 hours ago, dlder said:

Or is that not needed, as the DX FFB is accurate enough

It is not needed, but I use it. I use combination of speed, aoa , acceleration and thrust to generate effect augmentation. But normal DCS FFB is prety good on it's own. Especially  on selected aircrafts. 

2 hours ago, propeler said:

will this work with every FFB base or only with your own firmware?

Thanks

• Like 1

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

On 7/25/2022 at 1:26 PM, propeler said:

https://github.com/o-devices/ffb-joystick-howerboard-motor-base all needed files to replicate v1. Feel free in building your own.

Is the GitHub gone now? I want to start the build as it looks great and I own a fab shop and can easily laser cut the metal and bend it for fast iterations for my simpit

the new smaller motor design looks dope

Edited by Tehknein

On 8/11/2022 at 9:08 AM, propeler said:

Yes. 

Thanks for the help! 

Here goes nothing. Laser cut and bent all the sheet metal today. Glad to avoid those big $ cost people were posting about since it’s my machinery.

Hardware, odrive, and hoverboard arrive this weekend. Hopefully those go smoothly! I’m a little confused on the electronics side but I just keep reminding myself it’s like a diy cnc machine mixed with a rc plane, both of which I’ve made from scratch.

1F9BC143-1D8A-4FB6-81C5-EBA01BAE966C.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tehknein said:

Thanks for the help! 

Here goes nothing. Laser cut and bent all the sheet metal today. Glad to avoid those big $ cost people were posting about since it’s my machinery.

Hardware, odrive, and hoverboard arrive this weekend. Hopefully those go smoothly! I’m a little confused on the electronics side but I just keep reminding myself it’s like a diy cnc machine mixed with a rc plane, both of which I’ve made from scratch.

1F9BC143-1D8A-4FB6-81C5-EBA01BAE966C.jpeg

Would you consider to provide forum members with the metal parts? Not for free, obviously! 🤗

I would love to dive into such a project and I don’t fear the electronic part, but I don’t like the idea of building a sturdy case on my own.

btw. all those projects and ideas provided in this thread are incredible!

Edited by Hiob
  • Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

2 hours ago, Hiob said:

Would you consider to provide forum members with the metal parts? Not for free, obviously! 🤗

I would love to dive into such a project and I don’t fear the electronic part, but I don’t like the idea of building a sturdy case on my own.

btw. all those projects and ideas provided in this thread are incredible!

Send me a PM and I can figure out what my material cost is and we can work something out. I’d love to start a discord for the DIY builders, unless one exist. I know the vpforce one is out there but that is more for non odrive small motor builds. 

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

null

Just have to drill my hoverboard motors for the build to be finished, but I've since ordered gear reduced powerful brushless robot actuators and redesigned the stick around it. Waiting on the motors from China but I suspect this will be a much more elegant solution that isnt much more cost. One thing I am unsure how to approach yet is the control scheme on the new stick since I have the option to use integrated canbus controlled drivers instead of a O-drive. Require a new software layer, but I will investigate that later. 

IMG_5393[311].jpg

RXStick_2022-Sep-16_02-18-31PM-000_CustomizedView20714372469_png.png

• Like 1