Setting SPI with HMCS?

Arbil

I was doing this looking directly 90 degrees out to the side and the SPI point would be positioned fairly far behind where I intended it to go. I was setting it pretty close, about 10nm away, so I get that I was flying past it. But it still seemed like a pretty pronounced error compared to where I actually wanted to set the SPI. It seemed like maybe it was setting at the point where the initial button press was initiated and not when the threshold for long press was crossed to give it a more accurate position in relation to where it was intended to go. Not sure if this is how it's supposed to be or not.

I was doing this looking directly 90 degrees out to the side and the SPI point would be positioned fairly far behind where I intended it to go. I was setting it pretty close, about 10nm away, so I get that I was flying past it. But it still seemed like a pretty pronounced error compared to where I actually wanted to set the SPI. It seemed like maybe it was setting at the point where the initial button press was initiated and not when the threshold for long press was crossed to give it a more accurate position in relation to where it was intended to go. Not sure if this is how it's supposed to be or not.

With HMCS SOI, just throw a mark point out there with TMSRS, best way to do it without question. Then CDU to MP, CHFL - weapon of choice, boom rounds on target.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Your intended spot has to be solidly within the FOV of the HMCS. If it's off to an edge, the SPI designation gets "approximated"

12:14 Here:

I struggle to understand what the HMCS „screen“ (video lingo) or FOV actually represents. I mean it isn‘t a sensor itself that looks outside like a TGP but rather a system that just senses the position and orientation of the Helmet relative to the cockpit.

I understand that when something is outside of my HUD FOV it is simply not within the area that I can visually identify as my HUD FoV (simply speaking, it is outside of „where I can see symbols“ on the HUD or „where the HUD is unable to display something“). But given that the HMCS symbolgy can be fully seen wherever you look, how do I know I am looking „outside of its FOV“ and so I know when I can make a SPI or not?

Thanks.

Edited by Hog_No32

I struggle to understand what the HMCS „screen“ (video lingo) or FOV actually represents. I mean it isn‘t a sensor itself that looks outside like a TGP but rather a system that just senses the position and orientation of the Helmet relative to the cockpit.

I understand that when something is outside of my HUD FOV it is simply not within the area that I can visually identify as my HUD FoV (simply speaking, it is outside of „where I can see symbols“ on the HUD or „where the HUD is unable to display something“). But given that the HMCS symbolgy can be fully seen wherever you look, how do I know I am looking „outside of its FOV“ and so I know when I can make a SPI or not?

Thanks.

Easiest way is to jump into the aircraft and night - enable the HMCS and then you can see the FOV of the HMCS. In real life, it’s a small panel that sits in front of one eye - not a full visor display like more modern systems.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Easiest way is to jump into the aircraft and night - enable the HMCS and then you can see the FOV of the HMCS. In real life, it’s a small panel that sits in front of one eye - not a full visor display like more modern systems.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Thanks, Ziptie. I get what you are saying. But unfortunately I still don’t see how a point on the ground at which my HMD crosshair is displayed over cannot accurately be designated as SPI „because it is outside of the HMD FOV“?? How on earth can something be under the crosshair but outside of the HMDs FOV at the same time? If it would be outside, how comes I have a crosshair displayed over it??

I must be getting something completely wrong here, hope someone is able to lend me a hand. Thanks.

Edited by Hog_No32

Ok, looked at RedKite‘s tutorial now again (...excellent as usual) and now I see what I got wrong: I had the HMD as SOI but the cue was apparentyl uncaged already. So it is that the CUE or CURSOR is off the HMD FOV, not the ground object. My misconception was basically crosshairs equals cursor, not understanding that these are two independent things... music_whistling:

Ok, looked at RedKite‘s tutorial now again (...excellent as usual) and now I see what I got wrong: I had the HMD as SOI but the cue was apparentyl uncaged already. So it is that the CUE or CURSOR is off the HMD FOV, not the ground object. My misconception was basically crosshairs equals cursor, not understanding that these are two independent things... music_whistling:

Glad you got it sorted.

Cheers,

Ziptie

There ya go! Enjoy!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

the same happens to me. The first SPI that I mark, I have no problems, but from the second the scorpion has no precision.

the same happens to me. The first SPI that I mark, I have no problems, but from the second the scorpion has no precision.

After you’ve set your first mark point, or SPI, and a ready for your second SPI, with HMCS as SOI - CHAS to re cage the box to the HMCS crosshair, then create your second SPI with appropriate command (TMSRS = mark point for example).

Cheers,

Ziptie

If you only see a PLUS Sign on the HMCS, then the cursor is not caged to where you’re looking.

You need to see a “Maltese Cross” (Plus Sign has serifs on the ends) to be sure your HMCS cursor is caged to your LOS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com