Pre-launch cues on AIM-120

littlewing

Pre launch cues like DMC, and Ropt, and NM to MFRF?

I'd like to see better post launch cues like the FCR indications for a missile on a contact reaching HPRF and MPRF. I don't believe HPRF is simulated at all in DCS (or it is only HPRF simulated and not MPRF).

Loss indications would be great too.

There's a long way to go with the HUD / FCR symbology and simulation for AMRAAM employment.

As far as tutorials go, there is a ton of stuff out there for gamer 1v1 options. Almost nothing for 4vX missionized tactics.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Littlewing.... We can only hope. All those descriptions of the tapes are out there with illustrations. If they intend to make a true to form representation of the viper, then I hope we will get those things. Sure would make planning more interesting.

The Dynamic Maneuver Cue tells you how many degrees of heading change it would take for the bandit to change your shot from a high probability of impact, to a nominal probably of impact. This can be useful for determining shot doctrine on a banzai flow.

It should also display an M and a number before you shoot which is not seconds until medium PRF, but miles to PRF. That can help you know how far the bandit will be behind you as you turn around to go out after achieving MPRF, and that info helps you decide on your follow on plan in case the bandit survives the shot, or there was someone un-targeted in that group.

I don't remember exactly what to Google for, but there are "tape guides" for the viper out there on various avionics upgrades. They describe what all this stuff looks like and how it functions, but not how to use that information tactically.

The Dynamic Maneuver Cue tells you how many degrees of heading change it would take for the bandit to change your shot from a high probability of impact, to a nominal probably of impact. This can be useful for determining shot doctrine on a banzai flow.

It should also display an M and a number before you shoot which is not seconds until medium PRF, but miles to PRF. That can help you know how far the bandit will be behind you as you turn around to go out after achieving MPRF, and that info helps you decide on your follow on plan in case the bandit survives the shot, or there was someone un-targeted in that group.

I don't remember exactly what to Google for, but there are "tape guides" for the viper out there on various avionics upgrades. They describe what all this stuff looks like and how it functions, but not how to use that information tactically.

Thank you very much! Pretty smart tools.

Will see if I can find more about it. Always nice to have a good read about such things.

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Thank you very much! Pretty smart tools.

Will see if I can find more about it. Always nice to have a good read about such things.

The docs in question afaik are the F-16 MLU manuals; this site has them + some others: http://falcon.blu3wolf.com/Docs/

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

yeah the amraam symbology in the viper is all kinds of ****ed.

JHMCS diamond follows the jhmcs way too far, never separates.

Raero circle is for some reason currently being used to show the MPRF active range.

HPRF active is straight up missing from DCS as a whole and as such the symbology and countdown for it are absent.

there's more that i can't think of off the top, but you get it.

RAERO (Range Aerodynamic): Represents the max kinematic range of the missile, thus the longest range shot having a chance to hit the target. This is assuming the target doesn't manoeuvre, the pilot performs optimal loft/steering and the missile will result in Nominal Termination Criteria. ROPT (Range Optimal): Basically the same as RAERO but with High Termination Criteria this time. RPI (Range Probability of Intercept): Same as ROPT but without having to loft or make azimuth changes. We still assume the target is non-maneuvering. RTR (Range Turn and Run): Represents the max range shot, assuming the target turns away from your aircraft to tail aspect at launch. RMIN (Range Minimum): Self-explanatory! A-POLE: Range from your aircraft to the target when the missile will go active (HPRF). M-POLE: Same as A-POLE but MPRF active. F-POLE: Range from your aircraft to the target when the missile will impact the target. DMC (Digital Maneuvering Cue): Represents the heading change the target has to make to degrade the AMRAAM from high termination criteria to nominal. This value will never exceed the AA (Aspect Angle) and the RTR cue will grow up to this value.

When the target is beyond 125% of RAERO (unexpanded DLZ)

When the target is within 125% of RAERO (expanded DLZ : RAERO grows up to the former tick mark)

Attack Steering Cue (ASC) – The ASC (8 mr diameter circle in the HUD, 10 pixel radius circle on the MFD) provides several types of steering: horizontal aircraft steering, a blend of aircraft and missile steering, optimal missile steering (with horizontal and vertical missile steering), or Rmin steering (shortest LOS to the target). The type of steering provided is a function of range to the target. Horizontal aircraft steering is provided against targets beyond 1.2 x Raero (where Raero is the maximum kinematic range of the missile) and is based on the limits of the ASEC and a 45 degress LOS to target limit. Blended aircraft and missile steering is provided for target ranges between 1.2 Raero and Raero. Inside Raero, the steering provides optimal horizontal and vertical missile steering. Once inside mid-point Rtr (half-way in the manoeuvre zone), the ASC provides Rmin steering. The pilot follows the ASC cue by rolling until the cue is on the HUD centreline above the centre position of the ASEC and then pulls the aircraft (if commanded) to put the ASC in the centre of the ASEC. When the target range is greater than Raero, a limit cross (X) is displayed inside the ASC to indicate that an AIM-120 shot does not exist even if the pilot performed a loft manoeuvre. The limit cross will also be displayed when the required lead angle exceeds 60°, even if the target is nominally in range. Neither the ASEC nor ASC are displayed on the HUD in DGFT mode.