Where's my Syria map?

PoorOldSpike

Hi, I bought the DLC Syria map this morning on Steam and although it's showing as "installed" in my Steam library, I can't find it when I start the game (sniffle), only my Caucasus and Persian Gulf maps are there.

Have I done something wrong or is it a known issue or what?

Hi, I bought the DLC Syria map this morning on Steam and although it's showing as "installed" in my Steam library, I can't find it when I start the game (sniffle), only my Caucasus and Persian Gulf maps are there.

Have I done something wrong or is it a known issue or what?

1. You need the OB if you want to use Syria at the moment. I guess, you're on the stable version; to switch to the OB open your "DCS World Steam Edition" property page, switch to the tab "Betas" and select "openbeta - Public beta versions"; the download of the OB including Syria should start automatically after closing the property window
  2. this is the totally wrong forum for this problem (one of those would fit better: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=465 or https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=752)

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

Thanks, i've got myself in a bit of a mess, I followed your instructions to get openbeta okay, but then discovered Steam had accidentally deleted Syria from my Library and refunded me!

So I've bought it again and it's back in my library.

I clicked on DCS (openbeta) in my library list to open the game but i've got to wait 11 hours for it to download, does that sound right to you?

What the heck does "openbeta" mean anyway, is it a completely different version of DCS?

After the 11 hour download will there be two versions on my system, the standard version and the openbeta version?

Sorry but I'm just a grunt wargamer/simmer and PC dummy..:)

Edited by PoorOldSpike

OpenBeta is where the Devs will release content in a somewhat WIP state, sometimes it is buggy. Currently, the Syria map is only on the OpenBeta Branch. You will not have more than one install, the longer download is probably just the steam servers being slow to your location.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

I clicked on DCS (openbeta) in my library list to open the game but i've got to wait 11 hours for it to download, does that sound right to you?
Depending on your purchased modules (my DCS installation has ~218 GB) and your bandwidth this estimated download duration is possible. Switching from Stable to OB on Steam means, that the Stable will be replaced completely by the OB.
Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro

Thanks guys, so are you saying that the only way I can get the Syria map to work is to download and play OB which is just a WIP and possibly buggy?

For two pins I'd stop the OB download right now (it's still got another 9 hours to go) but I can't find a "cancel download" button at Steam so presumably it's going to go on overwriting my dear old standard DCS installation and there's zilch i can do about it except pout and sulk like crazy (sniffle)

(PS- every game i've bought from Steam over the years has usually had massive download times, longest was 14 hours for X-Plane, so nowadays i only buy from Steam if the games are not easily available elsewhere.)

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Thanks guys, so are you saying that the only way I can get the Syria map to work is to download and play OB which is just a WIP and possibly buggy?
Correct. One advantage of the OB is, that you get new maps, modules and features first, but a disadvantage is that you also get the bugs first.

Besides the OB gets more frequently updates. OB changelog: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

Correct. One advantage of the OB is, that you get new maps, modules and features first, but a disadvantage is that you also get the bugs first.

Besides the OB gets more frequently updates. OB changelog: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/news/changelog/openbeta/

Thanks, if and when I finally get Syria working, I shall uninstall it like a hot potato at the first sign of bugs and try to get a Steam refund, then re-install the dear old base game and my other DLC's like F/A-18 Hornet, Persian Gulf etc.

Incidentally the advertising for Syria never seemed to mention the fact that I'd have to install OB to make it work, grrr.

PS- Syria cost me 32 GB pounds (40 US dollars) which seems a lot for just a map anyway.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

It won't be exclusively in Open Beta forever. Once there's an update for Stable channel, Syria will be released there as well. If you can handle waiting, you don't need to install Open Beta at all.

The OB download has still got 7 hours to go but there seems to be no way I can stop it at Steam or I would..:)

(PS- every game i've bought from Steam over the years has usually had massive download times, longest was 14 hours for X-Plane, so nowadays i only buy from Steam if the games are not easily available elsewhere.)

Check to see if you have some download restrictions in play:

• click STEAM at top left of Steam window
  • select SETTINGS
  • select DOWNLOADS
  • check DOWNLOAD RESTRICTIONS section

Also, check your internet speed/bandwidth at SPEEDTEST.NET

dcs_sig.jpg

Check to see if you have some download restrictions in play:

• click STEAM at top left of Steam window
  • select SETTINGS
  • select DOWNLOADS
  • check DOWNLOAD RESTRICTIONS section

Also, check your internet speed/bandwidth at SPEEDTEST.NET

Thanks, i've downloaded 4 hours of OB so far, so I might as well let the download continue for the remaining 7 hours overnight and see if I can get Syria working tomorrow..:)

Username fits!

Well I'm old alright (72), one of the "rock legend generation" but still manage to whup kids half my age in the online wargame jungle, and have also been writing tutorial shit for years.

BTW, I'm a mod over at the Mission4Today forum, my photo galleries have had 8 million views so far:music_whistling:

Here's one of the first wargaming trophies I won, a 6" silver job, it sits on its own small table in my living room carefully positioned so that its the first thing guests see when they arrive, and I can keep steering the conversation towards it during the course of the evening-

rd-cup.gif

Below: Hallelujah! Syria seems to be working for me now (touch wood), here's a screenie of me patrolling the shores of the sea of Galilee..:)-

DCS-Syr.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike
  • Like 1

Well I'm old alright (72), one of the "rock legend generation" but still manage to whup kids half my age in the online wargame jungle, and have also been writing tutorial shit for years.

BTW, I'm a mod over at the Mission4Today forum, my photo galleries have had 8 million views so far:music_whistling:

Here's one of the first wargaming trophies I won, a 6" silver job, [...]

Impressive! :thumbup:

Do you play WoT, too?

Syria seems to be working for me now (touch wood)[...]
Great! :)

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

Impressive! :thumbup:

Do you play WoT, too?

Nah, I watched a few youtube vids of World of Tanks but it didn't grab me at all because it seemed too mad and hectic, whereas I prefer games that require careful planning; in fact I tell my noob recruits in other games-

"Fight with your brain first and your weapons second"

I played the Combat Mission series by email for 10 years, then gravitated to Armed Assault multiplayer for more years and dabbled in other games in between like Panzer Corps, Order of Battle, Flight Sim X etc.

PS- as I confessed earlier, I'm a total PC dummy and absolutely hate computers, I only know how to do a few mouse clicks and button presses to make my little men, tanks and planes run around shooting their guns.

For example here's my NVidia resolution screen, I use the highlighted one and it seems okay, but as a matter of interest why are the top five in their own 'Ultra' class separate from the 'PC' class? What does 'Ultra' mean anyway?

resol1.png

Edited by PoorOldSpike

They're just separated into common TV resolutions and traditional PC resolutions. It's not 'Ultra', but 'Ultra HD' or 3840x2160.

The (native) indicates the resolution of your monitor, and is the one you should really be using.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals

They're just separated into common TV resolutions and traditional PC resolutions. It's not 'Ultra', but 'Ultra HD' or 3840x2160.

The (native) indicates the resolution of your monitor, and is the one you should really be using.

I've tried native 1920x1080 in the past but all the text is shrunk and unreadable like looking down the wrong end of a telescope!

I've tried native 1920x1080 in the past but all the text is shrunk and unreadable like looking down the wrong end of a telescope!
Do you mean Text within DCS?

If so, adjust your ingame graphical settings and change the resolution to your Desktop setting (Full HD = 1920x1080 should be your native resolution).

But if you have unreadable text on your desktop with your native resolution of 1920x1080 there is another problem...

[OS] Windows 11 Pro

Do you mean Text within DCS?

If so, adjust your ingame graphical settings and change the resolution to your Desktop setting (Full HD = 1920x1080 should be your native resolution).

But if you have unreadable text on your desktop with your native resolution of 1920x1080 there is another problem...

I've been asking around help forums for years to try to solve it without success.

For example I've got a whole bunch of games sitting in my library that are totally unplayable because I'd need to hold a magnifying glass up to the screen to read the ingame text.

For the record I play DCS in 1280 x 720 because that reso gives a comfortably readable screen; i've tried higher resos but they either shrink everything or distort the whole image..:)

I've been asking around help forums for years to try to solve it without success.

For example I've got a whole bunch of games sitting in my library that are totally unplayable because I'd need to hold a magnifying glass up to the screen to read the ingame text.

For the record I play DCS in 1280 x 720 because that reso gives a comfortably readable screen; i've tried higher resos but they either shrink everything or distort the whole image..:)

What size is your display (measured diagonally, corner to corner)?

dcs_sig.jpg

There's options in the menu to change on screen text. I use them, they work, I read the text perfectly (first step in the options, there's room for way more) at 2550x1440, both radio chat to the right, and small fps counter to the top left.

Your text is more probably unreadable because of the giant pixels in the tiny resolution you use rather than an actual problem with fonts and actual text size.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice