Hornet higher level of detail TRUE 4K

Megalax

**Link to my DCS User Files : https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/user-is-Megalax/apply/ **

I've been plugging away at taking the Hornet's level of detail a little higher than what it is now.

Currently the Hornet has 4096 textures which are split into areas, whereas other models (F-16) have these areas as individual textures each at 4096. This means the Hornet's actual max resolution is 2K.

By increasing the resolution of the Hornet's textures to 8192 pixels, you achieve a true 4K skin just like the Viper. This allows finer detail to be introduced into the textures.

In doing so, I've also removed the rivet like detail on the engine's nozzles to reflect the real world.

DVuTAKk.jpg

iuoEtN1.jpg

Here, the rectangular shapes at the rear are supposed to be open mesh, so I was able to modify the texture to better show this, as well as the Normal maps.

x1NH8vk.jpg

Some Hornets have a reinforcement plate on the tail (mostly A models) and I was able to add this to the Normals:

6bdkHO7.jpg

Same with the ID lights found on RCAF, SwAF, FinAF, KuwAF Hornet's:

kLWheFE.jpg

Engine nozzles:

g6s9qpG.png

And the whole bird:

fsHpD3N.png

Edited by Megalax
  • Like 4

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

Wow awesome work! Finally someone get more detail to the Hornet (it´s due). Thank you for that and for your work. Waiting and eager to try!

Best regards,

F.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

trying to do the same for some personal project models, but base access to laser scan and take high res raw photos is restricted at the moment due to CV19.

Increasing Res from 2K to at least 4K possibly 8K

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Just absolutely incredible work!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Cheers bro...sit rep on availability?

Should be soon(ish). Currently trying to figure out the best way to upload them as they are much bigger than my other liveries in terms of data weight.

In the meantime, here's Capt. "Angry" Ginger Kidd.

oWEU766.png

Edited by Megalax

Megalax's Livery Studio

I see you worked TGP textures too :)

will you work on more liveries? (not only Canada ones but US Navy too)

Thank you again for everything you´re doing with Hornet textures.

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

Incredible stuff - nice work and thanks for sharing with the community.

Are you doing in-cockpit details as well with this mod?

No, no in cockpit stuff. There are many artists that would do (have done) a much better job with it than me, so that's a no from me.

I see you worked TGP textures too :)

will you work on more liveries? (not only Canada ones but US Navy too)

Thank you again for everything you´re doing with Hornet textures.

Yes, I changed the TGP textures to better simulate the Sniper TGP that Canada uses.

Some USN birds are definitely in the works from me, however as it's not a well known subject to me, I have begun work to hand off my template to some well known artists in the community who will deliver high detail non-Canadian Hornets.

• Like 1

Megalax's Livery Studio

No, no in cockpit stuff. There are many artists that would do (have done) a much better job with it than me, so that's a no from me.

Yes, I changed the TGP textures to better simulate the Sniper TGP that Canada uses.

Some USN birds are definitely in the works from me, however as it's not a well known subject to me, I have begun work to hand off my template to some well known artists in the community who will deliver high detail non-Canadian Hornets.

Thank you. Wish you the best :)

• 3 weeks later...