Hornet higher level of detail TRUE 4K

Megalax

First post, @Steel Jaw

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Semaphore said:

Hi... I am looking at the level of detail on this livery skin and its epic.  Would you mind sharing the template or teling me how you rescale is to create 4K skins.  It looks photo realistic and perfectly beautiful

Thanks in advance.

I increased the scale of the base template in PS. Then used it in Gimp and started to revamp everything. I redid all the stenciling, redid some of the details. Its a lot of work to do. 

Unfortunately I will not share my template publicly. Its far too large by now and it is completely impractical to share.

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

19 minutes ago, Megalax said:

I increased the scale of the base template in PS. Then used it in Gimp and started to revamp everything. I redid all the stenciling, redid some of the details. Its a lot of work to do. 

Unfortunately I will not share my template publicly. Its far too large by now and it is completely impractical to share.

Thats OK and totally understandable...  its exceptional work that you have donew and think i may attempt to follow suit.  Thanks for replying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
16 hours ago, ItsVetskuGaming said:

Bort's are broken on the FiAF livery. As you already know the tail should only have the last two numbers.

Also, I might possibly get the 2023 Finnish Hornet demo tail logo soon from the FiAF to have it recreated in DCS. If I get it, would you be up for the job?

kuva_2023-07-24_043722086.png

The new system does not allow you to only do 2 numbers. The skin was updated along with all my other Hornets when the new bort number system was implemented and seem to be working fine from here.

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

• 2 months later...
4 ore fa, SickSidewinder9 ha scritto:

Not quite what I was looking for, but thanks.  More like the one that comes in game.  The real one also has an American flag on the speed brake.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/it/files/3300929/

SO Win7 64 Bit | MB ASUS Rampage II Gene | CPU Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.4 Ghz | GPU EVGA GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 | RAM Corsair Dominator 12 GB | SSD OCZ 120 GB + HD WD 1000 GB WD10ears

Am 3.10.2020 um 12:51 schrieb Megalax:

**Link to my DCS User Files : https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/user-is-Megalax/apply/ **

I've been plugging away at taking the Hornet's level of detail a little higher than what it is now.

Currently the Hornet has 4096 textures which are split into areas, whereas other models (F-16) have these areas as individual textures each at 4096. This means the Hornet's actual max resolution is 2K.

By increasing the resolution of the Hornet's textures to 8192 pixels, you achieve a true 4K skin just like the Viper. This allows finer detail to be introduced into the textures.

In doing so, I've also removed the rivet like detail on the engine's nozzles to reflect the real world.

Here, the rectangular shapes at the rear are supposed to be open mesh, so I was able to modify the texture to better show this, as well as the Normal maps.

Some Hornets have a reinforcement plate on the tail (mostly A models) and I was able to add this to the Normals:

Same with the ID lights found on RCAF, SwAF, FinAF, KuwAF Hornet's:

Engine nozzles:

And the whole bird:

I really like your improvements to the Hornets textures.

Any plans of releasing updated templates?

Guess not.

On 4/18/2023 at 3:14 PM, Megalax said:

• 5 months later...