proper NVG for VR

FoxDelta

i am getting tired applying MODs like this https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=151646

for years now

So i would kindly ask/request ED to add proper NVG settings for us VR users

this is an absolut game changer for night ops

happy flying

i am getting tired applying MODs like this https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=151646

for years now

So i would kindly ask/request ED to add proper NVG settings for us VR users

this is an absolut game changer for night ops

happy flying

That mod isnt either "proper" NVG for VR.

IRL the NVG's ar set to focus on infinite distance(more or less). This gives a very, very blurry picture if you try to look inside.

Also, all NVG compatible cockpit lighting is filtered out of the NVG's before magnification so the instrument lighting isnt "seen" by the NVG, so you get a more or less dark instrument panel that only can be seen because of the natural lighting reflected on the instrument panel.

If using a non NVG comptatible light that light will reflect on the windows inside and the goggles will also magnify this light, and then you dont see the outside specially well.

= The instrument panel is dark and blurry and no instrument values can be seen trough the goggles.

I made a short demo for this:

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

That mod isnt either "proper" NVG for VR.

IRL the NVG's ar set to focus on infinite distance(more or less). This gives a very, very blurry picture if you try to look inside.

Also, all NVG compatible cockpit lighting is filtered out of the NVG's before magnification so the instrument lighting isnt "seen" by the NVG, so you get a more or less dark instrument panel that only can be seen because of the natural lighting reflected on the instrument panel.

If using a non NVG comptatible light that light will reflect on the windows inside and the goggles will also magnify this light, and then you dont see the outside specially well.

= The instrument panel is dark and blurry and no instrument values can be seen trough the goggles.

I made a short demo for this:

seems like i havent been as precise as necessary here. i agree on the focus and lights

i am applying a variant of the linked mod -> simply and only to be able to have the ability to look at the instruments by raising my head in VR, and looking below the goggles (as i would do in real life) this is nearly impossible to clarify without putting a vr headset over.

u can do this in 2d (eg with trackir)because of the limited nvg circle but in vr the nvg picture is screenfilling!!!

u can see this here (sorry for cockpitlighting not set to nvg)

so my title should be: "proper nvg field of view for us vr users!"

seems like i havent been as precise as necessary here. i agree on the focus and lights

i am applying a variant of the linked mod -> simply and only to be able to have the ability to look at the instruments by raising my head in VR, and looking below the goggles (as i would do in real life) this is nearly impossible to clarify without putting a vr headset over.

u can do this in 2d (eg with trackir)because of the limited nvg circle but in vr the nvg picture is screenfilling!!!

u can see this here (sorry for cockpitlighting not set to nvg)

so my title should be: "proper nvg field of view for us vr users!"

Absolutely!

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Definitely. This should be by default.

But I can see issues with scaling the NVG Overlay. Every VR Headset is a bit different (Aspect Ratio, Resolution and all that). And the sweet spot on some VR Headsets is tiny... you will see only a blurry mess below the NVG's.

There should be a configuration available to setup this without triggering any Integrity Checks.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Definitely. This should be by default.

But I can see issues with scaling the NVG Overlay. Every VR Headset is a bit different (Aspect Ratio, Resolution and all that). And the sweet spot on some VR Headsets is tiny... you will see only a blurry mess below the NVG's.

There should be a configuration available to setup this without triggering any Integrity Checks.

They need to do as Foxdelta says to make it trustworthy.

Looking outside aircraft inside the goggles should be NVG working properly. Looking below the goggles inside aircraft(instruments etc) should be sharp but not magnified in NVG green but normal dark night panel seen by the bare eye. (because you are seeing this with your own eyes below the goggles).

Looking inside aircraft inside goggles should be very blurry and no instrument light should be seen at all. Instruments shouldnt be visible, only maybe perhaps the round perimeter of the instrument if its a steam gauge equipped A/C.

All lighting inside a NVG compatible A/C is adapted to the kind of NVG(minus blue) filter mounted in the goggles. This means, no cockpit lighting is detected by yhe goggles.