Opinion requested: Upcoming Facebook account requirement for Quest 2

Fri13

It is not even about what we are willing to share "with Facebook". It is about what can happen, if any unnecessary information that you consider "harmless" is processed, combined, misused or exploited.

And we have lots of more current examples where this already happened... But it is a free world and of course everyone is free to choose, yet I recommend to choose wisely and informed. :)

Yup. Just like all of the careers that have been ended, and all the lives completely destroyed, over out-of-context posts made in a "safe" area of social media. Sometimes those posts were even made 12 or more years ago. Governments no longer have to spy on their citizens...their citizens do that for them (with their phone cameras and microphones). Its a scary world.

On a lighter note on the subject. When I started up my Rift CV1 this past weekend, I got a pop-up saying that I needed to create a Facebook account. After carefully examining that dialog box, I found a button that I was able to click to opt out of using a Facebook account. Not sure if new users will have the same choice though. I'm not under any illusions that I'm safe, just "more safe" than I would be if I voluntarily gave yet another unknown on-line entity the go-ahead to spy on me in ways they never fully disclose. All we can do is manage the threat.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yup. Just like all of the careers that have been ended, and all the lives completely destroyed, over out-of-context posts made in a "safe" area of social media. Sometimes those posts were even made 12 or more years ago. Governments no longer have to spy on their citizens...their citizens do that for them (with their phone cameras and microphones). Its a scary world.

On a lighter note on the subject. When I started up my Rift CV1 this past weekend, I got a pop-up saying that I needed to create a Facebook account. After carefully examining that dialog box, I found a button that I was able to click to opt out of using a Facebook account. Not sure if new users will have the same choice though. I'm not under any illusions that I'm safe, just "more safe" than I would be if I voluntarily gave yet another unknown on-line entity the go-ahead to spy on me in ways they never fully disclose. All we can do is manage the threat.

Nope that option is only for existing devices. If you buy a new headset you will need to merge your account/create a Facebook account.

An interesting article about Facebooks point of view:

https://www.roadtovr.com/fake-facebook-account-oculus-headset-community-standards/

...and an interesting user experience here on the forum from yesterday:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4527488

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I will never buy any device that forces me to sign up to social media like facebook - ever. Be it the best mobile phone, a HMD, or otherwise - even if I have an account with them. (Which I don't).

I can see the future - oh, I posted my opinion about something that facebook didn't like and suspended my account under their T&C. I can't use my HMD or (any other) facebook devices either at the moment.

Sure - seems tin hat foil now, but so does many of the things that facebook is already doing only a few years ago!

Nope that option is only for existing devices. If you buy a new headset you will need to merge your account/create a Facebook account.

An interesting article about Facebooks point of view:

https://www.roadtovr.com/fake-facebook-account-oculus-headset-community-standards/

...and an interesting user experience here on the forum from yesterday:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4527488

Just more things that affirm that I made the right choice in ordering a Reverb G2.

None of what's happening with Facebook surprises me, considering what the original purpose of "The Face Book" was.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

So what's up with the facebook share link below everyone's name on this new forum? They sponsoring ED too?

Hmm I saw it when I first opened the new forum here, then realized I was not signed in. After I signed in, I don't see it now. Strange.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It's gone for me too now. Strange indeed.

Heh. Maybe it was to go along with the white/blue format of Facebook that this forum now has, along with so many others. As I'm typing this, I see a button for adding an "FBV" tag to your posts. Not sure what it stands for or what it is, but I'm thinking the FB part stands for Facebook. :thumbdown:

• 2 weeks later...
I will never buy any device that forces me to sign up to social media like facebook - ever. Be it the best mobile phone, a HMD, or otherwise - even if I have an account with them. (Which I don't).

I can see the future - oh, I posted my opinion about something that facebook didn't like and suspended my account under their T&C. I can't use my HMD or (any other) facebook devices either at the moment.

Sure - seems tin hat foil now, but so does many of the things that facebook is already doing only a few years ago!

Keep in mind that we who like military based/war simulations, will likely be targeted at some point in future, just as the "GamerGATE" brought anger and hate. We will likely be accused of some nasty things, accused of many "isms" that just aren't true. It won't matter to the haters that on this forum we have so so many people from all walks of life, from all places on the planet, all points of view, all sorts of experiences.... that we all get along well together and are just having fun playing virtual war. They'll still accuse us. Without evidence. And we'll find ourselves on the defensive. It's happened before, a few times already, but each time it's MUCH more serious and consequential than the last time. I believe the last time, it may have cost a handful of lives, not game "lives" but ended the lives of a handful of human beings.

I don't know how we ought to prepare for that, and such a discussion doesn't belong in hardware discussion, but sooner than later, it's comming, and I'd rather be ready than not. If someone needs more clarification, PM me and I could explain in a bit more detail.