[CORRECT AS IS]HUD is too washed out

Raven434th

"Make sure you're not editing both materials.lua and HUD_init.lua. Well, you can but they'll multiply each other and get confusing."

Not touching the materials file.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I thought the HUD file was in the material file?

It's in both

\Mods\aircraft\A-10C_2\Cockpit\Scripts\materials.lua

or

\Mods\aircraft\A-10C_2\Cockpit\Scripts\HUD\Indicator\HUD_init.lua

HUD_init.lua supersedes materials.lua so it's better to edit HUD_init.lua.

Towards the bottom, I think line 383, just enter the values I suggested.

I actually don't have A10C-2 yet. Was gonna wait until major bugs are sorted out.

I have a hard time editing certain files. It tells me I don't have permission to do it. However, I can copy/paste the file and let it overwrite. It lets me do that.

So, the HUD you showed is A-10C? I wonder if it's the same as A-10C ll?

Buzz

I have a hard time editing certain files. It tells me I don't have permission to do it. However, I can copy/paste the file and let it overwrite. It lets me do that.

So, the HUD you showed is A-10C? I wonder if it's the same as A-10C ll?

Best practice is to use a mod manager such as OVGME to mod files. It's much safer and allows you to experiment more. I really suggest that you (and anyone else interested in modding DCS) take a few minutes to see how it works.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

PlainSight

Thanks for the location of the file. I was looking in the wrong place. Nice color but I would prefer a little darker color for the HUD. Do you have a suggestion to make it darker?

To make it darker, reduce both numbers equally. 0 is black, 255 is full red, green or blue. You can try {0, 128/255, 128/255, 255/255} or {0, 200/255, 200/255, 255/255}

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My two cents is the hud is perfect now.

+1. Great in VR, no issues outside the “to be expected” drop in visibility when heading is towards the sun.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

One More HUD Thread

OK, here's a video of a real Hog. I can't compare it to what we have because the server is messed up and I can't download DCS.

Look at it and see what you think. Lot's of shots flying into the sun. To me if I remember right the real plane doesn't wash out as much as what we have but what do you think?

Buzz

Looks exceptionally similar to what we have. This is a dead subject IMO.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

There's no question that the DCS A-10 HUD washes out more than the real HUD. This video and several others prove it.

Also notice that the real A-10 pulls over 4g just fine and without going uncontrollable, unlike the DCS A-10. But that issue has already been beaten to death in other threads. Some posts say the new flight model gives a little more g, some posts say there's no change. Either way there's still not the correct amount of engine thrust though.

Edited by dporter22

There's no question that the DCS A-10 HUD washes out more than the real HUD. This video and several others prove it.

Also notice that the real A-10 pulls over 4g (and beyond) just fine and without going uncontrollable, unlike the DCS A-10. But that issue has already been beaten to death in other threads. Too bad they still haven't fixed it even though they say they have.

Guarantee this aircraft isn’t loaded to nearly the same level as what the majority of players on this game load their A10. 4 to 6 Mavericks and bombs hanging off all stations is not what is indicative of what loadouts pilots take on majority of real life missions.

I get to 4 g in DCS with the A10CII with a reasonable loadout of 2 Mavericks total, 7 APKS, TGP, 184, 2 aim9, 2 cbu97/105 (or 2 gbu54 in lieu of cbu’s).

I find the flight model drastically improved over the prior iteration. Again, the problem is mostly due to what people are putting on their aircraft, and the lack of reality in those loadouts

Cheers,

Ziptie

Edited by Ziptie

This video doesn’t prove anything about how the pilot sees it as this is either a direct feed being recorded or it’s the HUD camera which never moves relative to the display on the combiner glass.

Personally, I find the current HUD lightyears ahead of where it was in Hog 1 prior to the release of Hog 2. I can see every piece of data without excessive head movement.

If this is what we get, I’m good with it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

This video doesn’t prove anything about how the pilot sees it as this is either a direct feed being recorded or it’s the HUD camera which never moves relative to the display on the combiner glass.

Personally, I find the current HUD lightyears ahead of where it was in Hog 1 prior to the release of Hog 2. I can see every piece of data without excessive head movement.

+1

Cheers,

Ziptie

Not talking about the alignment of the symbology. This thread is just about the symbolgy washing out in the sun. I think the video shows that pretty good.

Buzz

Not talking about the alignment of the symbology. This thread is just about the symbolgy washing out in the sun. I think the video shows that pretty good.

He may or may not have been talking about symbology alignment with his whole post, but the point is that the video is a direct feed and isn't what the pilot is actually seeing with his eyes.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

It looks pretty similar to me but slightly less washed out as the one in DCS. That being said, it's difficult to judge correctly without knowing what the lighting/weather conditions were in the video and what the HUD rightness was set to. Not to mention that the video is a HUD tape recording and not the actual view of the HUD so there could be some differences there as well since DCS is trying to simulate the actual HUD.

Well, ok I guess i'll just suck it up and deal with the HUD as is.

Still, it would be nice if ED would offer a shaded visor we could pull down. Just for those with bad vision. Those would good vision wouldn't need to use it if they wanted to keep it real. Although, i'm not sure a shaded visor can be said to be not realistic.

Buzz

Gamma also can be a thing.

It clearly is a thing. When I tone it down until I can see the HUD well enough, the outside lighting seems to be decent as well, but I'm playing Dark Cockpit Simulator again, with pitch black consoles while the sun is shining into it from directly above at 12 pm. If I try to fix that, until I can barely make out the switches and knobs, and read the labels next to them, the outside is rather radiant and the HUDs are totally washed out, especially in the Hog. F-16 isn't great either, only the Hornet is kinda good still. TL;DR a long standing issue that got worse with 2.5.6 and never got fixed. It's especially apparent in VR HMDs that have OLEDs which can, as opposed to LCDs, actually display black. I simply guess the devs use LCD screens and calibrate the vibrance and colouring by what they see on those that aren't made for that job at all. But OTOH, well, most users do have LCD as well, so it adds up anyway. Noticed that happening a lot to all types of software when the first LCDs emerged into everyone's living room and I still ran a CRT even in 2011. I literally could see nothing on it since everything more recent was just pitch black. But when I nowadays play old games in DOSBox on my SIPS, they do shine like a nuclear explosion. It's a matter of hardware, and the software being accustomed to that. In short: When it comes to colours and especially blacks, LCD sucked in the past, it still sucks today and it will always suck in the future, period. It's not ED's fault every Tom, Dick and Harry bought those (I mean, even I did that eventually, but I was extremely late to the party for the reasons given, and my Eizo does have rather good blacks for an LCD, but still being miles away from CRT or OLED), they just had to accomodate for it to make the majority happy enough.

And in instances where the HUD starts to wash out, I do have a lot more of an issue with that in the Rift compared to pancake. When it's rather well-visible, they almost match up.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

So, the camera could see a washed out HUD better than our eyes?

Its a direct feed. The HUD image isn't being affected by environmental factors like it would be for the pilot.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: