Mi-24 NAV & Targeting system capabilities

Bananabrai

Same as in the next video (starting at 4:30).

In the video when shooting rockets the pilot's site isn't gyro-stabilized? This looks very "simplistic", like in Mi-8. I was under the impression pilot's sight for rockets/cannon is more advanced?

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Google Translate

In the video when shooting rockets the pilot's site isn't gyro-stabilized? This looks very "simplistic", like in Mi-8. I was under the impression pilot's sight for rockets/cannon is more advanced?

Do you mean the ASP-17V gunsight? Yes, these points were discussed on Russian forums. There is an assumption that the pilot shoots without an ATsVU analog-digital computing device in manual mode (the range is set to '0'). In this firing mode, the ASP-17V operates as a conventional gyro gunsight, and nevertheless there are indeed questions about the implementation of the gunsight gyrostabilization by the "AVIA", Ltd.

Original in Russian

Вы имеете в виду прицел АСП-17В? Да, эти моменты обсуждалось на русскоязычных форумах. Есть предположение, что пилот стреляет без аналого-цифрового вычислительного устройства АЦВУ в ручном режиме (установка дальности выставлена на «0»). В этом режиме стрельбы АСП-17В работает как обычный гироскопический прицел, и тем не менее к реализации гиростабилизации прицела от НПО «АВИА» действительно есть вопросы.

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

I kinda expect that to be possible in DCS as well. I mean we already have the Garmin NS430 in the sim.

That would be nice. Any reason for them to actually complete the NS430, or just make it… well… work, would be nice.

Edited by Tippis
…because apparently, these new forums don't support Unicode.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Actually, it kinda-sorta does have IR... namely the R-60. :) I'm not sure whether this particular model does, but I've heard stories of Hind crews in Afghan that loaded up an R-60 in order to detect Taliban driving their trucks at night with the lights off. Not sure how well it worked in practice, and if the Mi-24P in particular can carry the weapon (I know German Hinds could), but this seems like a fun thing to try. :)

• Like 1

As for night attack, you'll be relying on SAB-100 candle bombs or S-8M illumination rockets to light up the area before attacking. If they decide to add NVGs, you'll also be able to attack visually.

Hmm, AFAIK illumination warheads for the S-5 and S-8 series aren't present yet in DCS (S-5-O/O1, S-8 O/OM), I wonder if they'll be coming.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

The S-8OM is present on the Ka-50 for sure, I used them a few days ago. They can be a bit cumbersome for self-illuminaton because the illumination time is somewhat short, but if you're working in teams that's not an issue. If you want to give them a go, the combat employment section of the manual has a paragraph dedicated to firing parameters.

Google Translate

The S-8OM is present on the Ka-50 for sure, I used them a few days ago…

IIRC, the S-8OM illuminating rockets have been used in the DCS: Black Shark since its release in 2008.

Original in Russian

ЕМНИП, осветительные ракеты С-8ОМ использовались в DCS: Чёрная Акула начиная с момента её релиза в 2008 году.

Ahh, indeed they are; looks like a certain someone is having some brain issues today... :prop:

EDIT: I was looking at the rockets available to fixed wing (MiG-29A), they don't seem to have the S-8OM available.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

With some magic you can also drop parachute Illuminating Flares in the Editor. Was in one of the Campaign Mission from the Ka-50 also.

That was also used in Afghanistan and droped out from some Antonov Cargo Planes. Not statt of the Art but will do the job for night operation.

• Like 1

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

With some magic you can also drop parachute Illuminating Flares in the Editor. Was in one of the Campaign Mission from the Ka-50 also.

That was also used in Afghanistan and droped out from some Antonov Cargo Planes. Not statt of the Art but will do the job for night operation.

I remember that mission, it felt pretty immersive. Can't remember if it was magic though.

I looked at the mission file because I wanted to that as a coop action back then and as far as I remember, the illum was dropped by another AI flight.

Alias in Discord: Mailman

How does it work and what does the image look like?

The periscope/sight might look something like this:

hind-sight.jpg

From this video:

@ 26:50 they use the sight and launch a Shturm. If it is the correct sight symbology I don't know as

documentaries frequently "borrow" and mix and match video material so it works for the storytelling.

The periscope/sight might look something like this…

:no:

Google Translate

Same as in the next video (starting at 4:30).

AVIA TS has "reapears" with a new training video show a Mi-24/35 helicopter combat traning video.

<…>

Original in Russian

Так же как и на следующем видео (начиная с 4:30)…

<…>

fetch?id=6661444

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, randomTOTEN said:

Looks like the map display has been upgraded as development has progressed. It looks to be using the same chart layer as the rest of the simulator. It's gonna be interesting to work with.

There are two different scales for the map display, so there are probably two types of maps available...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Razorback said:

There are two different scales for the map display, so there are probably two types of maps available...

The same is true of the map view (F10) as well. When you zoom in the actual chart will often change as well. It's the same system I think as the A-10C TAD.

Edited by randomTOTEN

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 3:50 PM, Cdodders said:

Will the Hind we get in DCS be Night capable?

They mostly weren't.

Some very early Gen0 NVG's were trialled in Afghanistan but those used activeIR pink lights, and having a set of them you wouldn't want to fly with them.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 11/10/2020 at 3:07 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

Actually, it kinda-sorta does have IR... namely the R-60. 🙂 I'm not sure whether this particular model does, but I've heard stories of Hind crews in Afghan that loaded up an R-60 in order to detect Taliban driving their trucks at night with the lights off. Not sure how well it worked in practice, and if the Mi-24P in particular can carry the weapon (I know German Hinds could), but this seems like a fun thing to try. 🙂

I hope this comes with the module!

• Like 1