Why do we have to mess with port forwarding?

For hosting, why must we open/forward ports? Most online games (at least in the past) have used ports that are open by default and there is/was no need for this.

Additionally, there is the problem of ISPs providing IPs via a NAT. We cannot open/forward our ports unless we have a public IP address. There are so many internet users in the world that there is a shortage of unique IP addresses, thus the majority of ISPs are giving the majority of their customers private IPs through a NAT, which makes it impossible for users to open/forward their ports and thus makes it impossible to host DCS servers.

So, why must hosting DCS servers be limited to those lucky enough to not be stuck with a NAT-issued IP address?

I fail to see those issues as DCS shortcomings.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Because DCS is the only game I’ve ever played that requires port forwarding to host MP?

Just curious, what other games are you refering to? On most games you connect to a central Server, you don’t really host the game.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I fail to see those issues as DCS shortcomings.

I don't know about "shortcoming", but it is a decision by the game dev to support UPNP or not, many do, and my understand is DCS does as well:

If your router supports UPNP and it's enabled DCS World will forward the ports automatically.

According to:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/server/

Perhaps it's no longer the case? Some feel it's a security issue. Given you can disable UPNP in your router, I don't see why a game dev needs to make that decision for you but... whatevs

I don't know about "shortcoming", but it is a decision by the game dev to support UPNP or not, many do, and my understand is DCS does as well:

According to:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/server/

Perhaps it's no longer the case? Some feel it's a security issue. Given you can disable UPNP in your router, I don't see why a game dev needs to make that decision for you but... whatevs

upnp can be controlled via an autoexec.cfg option AFAIK.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Just curious, what other games are you refering to? On most games you connect to a central Server, you don’t really host the game.

That’s probably it. Halo PC, Rainbow 6, Starcraft, etc never needed port forwarding from what I recall.

While I can forward ports on my personal router, I cannot forward ports on my ISP’s router because they’re giving everyone private IPs off their router located somewhere in the belly of the apartment complex. And I can’t change ISPs unless I want to complete move house, so....

That’s probably it. Halo PC, Rainbow 6, Starcraft, etc never needed port forwarding from what I recall.

Correct, on none of those games you actually host the game, everyone is a client and the game maker hosts it.

While I can forward ports on my personal router, I cannot forward ports on my ISP’s router because they’re giving everyone private IPs off their router located somewhere in the belly of the apartment complex.

Surely you do realize that your particular situation is not a fault of DCS

And I can’t change ISPs unless I want to complete move house, so....

Can’t you request the isp to configure a port forward on their router?

A last alternative would be to rent a hosting and install dcs server version there.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Nealius,

I had similar issues when we moved to a new house and changed ISPs. After moving none of my friends could see my servers. At my original location my router was behind a Comcast cable modem with all ports available to be exposed and for me to control. At the new location my router is behind the WIRELESS provider's router. I tried using the UPNP settings, but that didn't work. In order to expose my server to the internet, the ISP had to adjust some settings on their end. They basically set up a local IP address on the LAN side of their router to serve as a DMZ and had me assign my router to that specific address, giving full control over exposing any and all ports. So now I am able to host servers for DCS and SRS for my friends. Hopefully your ISP can do something similar for you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

For hosting, why must we open/forward ports? Most online games (at least in the past) have used ports that are open by default and there is/was no need for this.

Additionally, there is the problem of ISPs providing IPs via a NAT. We cannot open/forward our ports unless we have a public IP address. There are so many internet users in the world that there is a shortage of unique IP addresses, thus the majority of ISPs are giving the majority of their customers private IPs through a NAT, which makes it impossible for users to open/forward their ports and thus makes it impossible to host DCS servers.

So, why must hosting DCS servers be limited to those lucky enough to not be stuck with a NAT-issued IP address?

You can Open/Forward ports by title or application on most firewalls, no need to be bound to an external IP. Even if your IP is NAT'd as long as you are defining ports to open (generically) on your firewall by application or via an internal LAN IP ( i.e., Internal LAN IP (server) >> ports opened >> any any IP) then the NAT will not affect you as long as you are doing this prior to the ISP's cable modem or box for your router attached prior to the Cable Modem or ISP box. I port forward services all the time without having to define a fixed external IP.

Their currently is no shortage of IPv4 addresses, this was solved long ago with NAT/PAT. I currently peer several large edge/backbone routers on a corporate network with Dual Stacking (running IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously) and even after 15 years of the "shortage" I have no Cloud vendors, or remote customers taking advantage of my IPV6 addresses . . . zero.

ISP's via IANA and other RFC based agencies have been reclaiming IPv4 Addresses for years, the practice you mention stopped many many years ago, you now need to provide proof, and design considerations for any block of IPv4 addresses you would like to use.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Is there a walkthrough for getting it to work on a NAT? I opened the ports on my personal router, I have no firewall (that I know of) running on my computer, but clients still can’t see my server. External IP is 221.xxx.xxx.xx. Clients can’t connect via that IP address either.

This might be a CGNAT and not a NAT?

Edited by Nealius