Using TrackIR w HMCS

skypickle

HMCS is centered on the viewscreen. ALWAYS. So when I rotate my head to the right, I have to 'slew my eyes' to the left. This is rather unnatural and distracting. Is there any way to get the HMCS to respond to the TrackIR input so that as I rotate my head to the right, the HMCS moves to the right side of the screen?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

I agree. It doesn't work well with Trackir. It's pretty hard to hold steady too.

It was never designed for Trackir but in a sim we have no choice unless we want to look around with buttons and that's not going to happen for me.

• Like 1

Buzz

• 1 month later...

Agree with this request.

The HMCS X/Y displacement from center should be an axis that can be bound.   We could then bind it to the TrackIR rotation with an appropriate curve for our environment.   I realize this ignores translational head movement, but it would at least allow us to match the spatial feeling you get with TrackIR and have it feel like the HMCS is tied to our head.

Yes, I know it is a significant work if the current implementation is just a static overlay.  But it is pretty much the only way to make this work.   Your head has to deflect a small amount for TrackIR, so making the HMCS static isn't gonna work. 

• ED Team

All other HMDs so far - all the way back to Ka-50 and FC3 MiG-29/Su-27 work the same way. What you're suggesting won't really work as well as you might think it will, because the game can't tell where your head is actually pointing on the real screen - it just gets a head position input that is an arbitrary function of your head position mapped within TrackIR software, with no relationship with reality whatsoever. You'd need eye tracking to make this work.

• Thanks 2

I am not trying to track where I am looking.  This isn't what the HMCS does either.   It should point to where my HEAD is pointing, not my eyes.  And that is exactly known from TrackIR if I apply the inverse curve of the one applied in the TrackIR software to map from real head rotation to virtual head rotation.

PS: One thing I agree is that it would not be mathematically precise.  We would not be putting in our screen geometry and seating position etc. to solve for the exact position.  Just use manual curve editing to get it right in a few spots and interpolate.  That would be way better than what we have now.

Edited by derammo

I do not need a HMCS that dynamically moves with headmovement - although I can understand why you wish for it. For me it would be sufficient to move the HMCS postition more towards the upper side of the screen. It feels very wrong in center-position, because with defalut view and neutral head postition the cross aims towards the instrument panel while in reality the line of sight would be through the HUD. Furthermore if your seutp is ergonomically correct your eyes are just a little below the top-line of your monitor. So with the HCMS in the center of the screen, your eyes need to look downwards to see it. Weird.

It would be great if you could freely change the HMCS position on the screen via static x and y coordinates as a first step, because that should not be too hard. If you can then bind the coordinates to axis in a second step, even better.

Edited by Hive
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • ED Team
On 12/7/2020 at 10:33 PM, derammo said:

I am not trying to track where I am looking.  This isn't what the HMCS does either.   It should point to where my HEAD is pointing, not my eyes.  And that is exactly known from TrackIR if I apply the inverse curve of the one applied in the TrackIR software to map from real head rotation to virtual head rotation.

PS: One thing I agree is that it would not be mathematically precise.  We would not be putting in our screen geometry and seating position etc. to solve for the exact position.  Just use manual curve editing to get it right in a few spots and interpolate.  That would be way better than what we have now.

DCS has no way of knowing what your curve in TIR is because it has no access to it, it only receives orientation and translation vectors, 6 numbers with zero context for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...