Thinking of uninstalling DCS World and just Keep DCS Beta, do most people have both?

SC86

I think it is about high time that we had only one version of DCS WORLD, it shouldn't be a big problem to have only one. I almost never play DCS world as most of my favourite servers are on the Beta version and all the new planes come out on the beta version. Do you have both versions and use both, or am I crazy for clogging up my computer with two huge versions of the sim?

I used to have several versions of DCS, at one point having DCS 1.5, 2.5 stable, 2.5 Openbeta and Steam DCS .. but the Map boom of the last two years (3 maps: PG, The Channel and Syria) makes it impossible to sustain, so currently I have only 2.5 Openbeta installed.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

There's next to no reason to have stable installed. In large part because the name is… not very accurate. For the vast majority of the time, it is no more stable than the beta but trades those scant few instances for not having the latest bugfixes and improvements that actually make for a more stable and working experience.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Had both stable and OB, and about a year ago just removed the stable...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I tend to keep both installed, just so I can check to see if behaviour is a new bug or just something I missed.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Since you seem to spend a lot of time on the multiplayer servers, then by all means keep your OB installation and get rid of stable. Once in a while some new show-stopping bugs pop up on OB but there is really no reason to keep stable unless you absolutely must have a "relatively" bug free experience.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I play stable bc I play with people that are not too experienced in dealing with OB issues. Since the stable version is just a OB version ED is satisfied enough with to call it stable or release version I'm hoping this will not change in the future. I respect your point though and have been thinking for myself similarly from time to time.

I have both but I'm thinking to keep only stable; there are too many bugs in OB and they don't get addressed quickly, sometimes they even pass on stable. Fortunately some of them have community home made solutions, but the frequent updates of the open beta force me to recheck and redo fixes every week. The 3 months cycle of the stable Is, well, more stable, since you have to deal with bugs and fix only once until the next update and not every week. However I do not fly online. I think that the vast majority of servers being on open beta Is a weird thing and the main problem in dcs community. People can't wait and wants news as soon as possible, but the main reason of the open beta should be tests and to help the developers. Unfortunately this Is not the case, even if ED itself suggests to do so. Things being this way, maybe just one public version (hopefully with slower updates than OB) could be a solution.

Edited by nessuno0505