Newbie needs some help

Hi all

just started with DCS. starting out with take-off of F15 from end of runway. using the thrustmaster warthog hotas and x56 pedals. i got the roll pitch and yaw up and running so i am up in the air :) at this stage i wont be buying any aircraft until i pretty much master the FC level

i am looking for a suggested guide for assigning commands to the numerous buttons, switches and hats all over the place. i appreciate that different people prefer using different buttons for different functions, so i wont be suing anyone if i later discover something that suits me better. Perhaps such a resource is already here somewhere, if so, please can someone provide a link to it.

otherwise, please share your setup if you feel comfortable. at this stage anything would be greatly appreciated, i have nothing to go by. Just need all the basic bread and butter commands and what works comfortably for you. When i am ready for a study level aircraft, well that will be another story.

Also, in the controls setup each already assigned control has a text name (eg JoyB01), how can i find out what actual hardware switch/button that is?

TIA

I like to find a picture of the real HOTAS and try to make my joystick match up as best as I can physically, by which finger.

Perhaps the easiest way is to do a button assignment, press a button on your device, and see what number DCS records. Also if there are assignments then if you press a keyboard key or joystick button the list will jump to the row of that assignment.

I like to find a picture of the real HOTAS and try to make my joystick match up as best as I can physically, by which finger.

Perhaps the easiest way is to do a button assignment, press a button on your device, and see what number DCS records. Also if there are assignments then if you press a keyboard key or joystick button the list will jump to the row of that assignment.

thats a good way of doing it Frederf, if i end up doing that then ill record it all in a spreadsheet and make it available as a resource for others

Hey Treasure,

I would recommend checking out Chuck's guides. He always has sections dedicated to control mappings on the TMWH. He doesn't do guides for the FC3 planes, but I think you would find it helpful to map controls analogous to the Hornet or Viper for your Eagle. You may have to dig a little to find out what function does what (for instance, ACM mode boresight is TMS fwd on the Viper and Sensor Select Forward on the Hornet) but if you put a little thought and effort that'll make your eventual transition to a full DCS module that much easier. Good luck! And feel free to shoot me a PM if you want my help getting set up.

https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs/

Hey Treasure,

I would recommend checking out Chuck's guides. He always has sections dedicated to control mappings on the TMWH. He doesn't do guides for the FC3 planes, but I think you would find it helpful to map controls analogous to the Hornet or Viper for your Eagle. You may have to dig a little to find out what function does what (for instance, ACM mode boresight is TMS fwd on the Viper and Sensor Select Forward on the Hornet) but if you put a little thought and effort that'll make your eventual transition to a full DCS module that much easier. Good luck! And feel free to shoot me a PM if you want my help getting set up.

https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs/

thanks heaps XtraChrisP, iam a bit of a technical person so ill definatly spreadsheet this exercise. i think the first thing ill do is to list all the commands i want to map, if its ok i might send that to you, you may see something that should be included.

Sorry to say there are no Chuck's guides for the FC3 aircraft.

Take a look anyway at say... the F18 guide, so you can checkout potential full clickable upgrade.;)

As for the FC3, I have the package with them all.

All can be bound the same etc. (exported controls from one / import to all)

These modules are there to get you started and up in the air quick.

There also good at getting you into the action / flying quick with A LOT less binding needed.

The action.....Here's a great detailed combat guide on Mudespike for when your ready.

https://www.mudspike.com/dcs-f-15c-combat-guide-for-beginners/

Also shows a few other binds you might like to add.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Sorry to say there are no Chuck's guides for the FC3 aircraft.

Take a look anyway at say... the F18 guide, so you can checkout potential full clickable upgrade.;)

As for the FC3, I have the package with them all.

All can be bound the same etc. (exported controls from one / import to all)

These modules are there to get you started and up in the air quick.

There also good at getting you into the action / flying quick with A LOT less binding needed.

The action.....Here's a great detailed combat guide on Mudespike for when your ready.

https://www.mudspike.com/dcs-f-15c-combat-guide-for-beginners/

Also shows a few other binds you might like to add.

Hi David,

that package for import sounds sensational, how do i get my hands on them? lol

having them like that just makes so much sense, i assume that pedal binding would not be included in the package

No, What I mean is I have the full collection (Package) of the FC3 aircraft.

It's called DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 as see here.

Comes with F-15C, A-10A, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-29A, MiG-29S and Su-25.

All these have pretty much all the same key combos.

What I do is bind how I like to use the keys (Su-27 or F15 etc). Then (save as) each column in the control option screen. Joystick-fC3, throttle-fC3.

These can then be imported into each fc3 aircraft. A little modifying for the ground Su-27t.

You have a throttle and stick tho, so you can do things better. So, to get "an idea" how you would like to set things up see this video I did for single stick setup.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

The FC3 aircraft are "simplified" but imo harder to set up controls for than clickpits.. as for click pits I just map my hotas to be similar to the real thing.

For FC3 aircraft pretty much every button on my stick has dual functionality using the paddle on the WH stick for a modifier, and most of the buttons on my throttle are mapped for dual functionality too.

Once done though, the major difference between them and full fidelity pits are that I have to click switches in the full fidelity pits to prepare for combat.. where by the time I'm in combat it's all hotas controls in both pit types.

I have to setup my FC3 controls again, as I haven't been flying them since my latest install.. if I manage to find the motivation perhaps I'll export my control settings for stick and throttle and put them somewhere for download. My FC3 bindings for the WH have gotten me some compliments in the past.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

The FC3 aircraft are "simplified" but imo harder to set up controls for than clickpits.. as for click pits I just map my hotas to be similar to the real thing.

For FC3 aircraft pretty much every button on my stick has dual functionality using the paddle on the WH stick for a modifier, and most of the buttons on my throttle are mapped for dual functionality too.

Once done though, the major difference between them and full fidelity pits are that I have to click switches in the full fidelity pits to prepare for combat.. where by the time I'm in combat it's all hotas controls in both pit types.

I have to setup my FC3 controls again, as I haven't been flying them since my latest install.. if I manage to find the motivation perhaps I'll export my control settings for stick and throttle and put them somewhere for download. My FC3 bindings for the WH have gotten me some compliments in the past.

dual functions for every stick and throttle control? my head is spinning with just the thought of that. At this stage all i want is just the every basic set of controls that any self respecting pilots would want

No, What I mean is I have the full collection (Package) of the FC3 aircraft.

It's called DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3 as see here.

Comes with F-15C, A-10A, Su-27, Su-33, MiG-29A, MiG-29S and Su-25.

All these have pretty much all the same key combos.

What I do is bind how I like to use the keys (Su-27 or F15 etc). Then (save as) each column in the control option screen. Joystick-fC3, throttle-fC3.

These can then be imported into each fc3 aircraft. A little modifying for the ground Su-27t.

You have a throttle and stick tho, so you can do things better. So, to get "an idea" how you would like to set things up see this video I did for single stick setup.

thanks Dave. apart from roll pitch and yaw and fire, i think my next group of controls i will setup will be zoom and trim. as a starter pack, what other controls would you include?

I like to keep it real so it depends on airframe. I try not to bind anything that isn't there on real HOTAS. You decide where you want that most important - gears and flaps controls. In VR you probably don't want to blindly look for the keyboard or ext. switches.

Usually in a fighter - apart from basic flight controls - you also have weapon, autopilot, radio (mic/comm) and radar (and IR/optical) controls directly on the HOTAS. For basic FC3 operation just add toggles: engine, electrical power, radar (and sensors) on/off, nav lights, nav mode... There are more controls if you go deeper into bombs, guided A2G missiles and IR/TV camera operation... or straight into rabbit hole with any Full Fidelity module.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Have you checked the User Files page for a Profile for your stick and throttle?

You can find the page here: Home > User Files

I usually try to find one that matches my HOTAS and fly with it a couple times, then I'll make changes that suit me.

This helps with learning everything, or almost everything, about your control settings.

I did a quick searched for Thrustmaster Warthog and came up with these:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305013/?sphrase_id=4171083

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305012/?sphrase_id=4171083

Not sure if this is yours, but this came up when I searched for X56.

Click on the picture: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309548/?sphrase_id=4171009

F-15 Profiles came up with these: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?set_filter=Y&arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=70&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=22&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

Other useful information:

I have this page bookmarked because it can help you now and in the future: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=42462

And if you want to dive deep into the bowls of your stick and throttle, grab your favorite beverage and go here: RS Mapper

And for something a little bit strange but looks interesting: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1428974/?sphrase_id=4171083

Hope this is helpful.

Happy flying!

Oz :pilotfly:

• 1 month later...

SO newbie here as well and using a Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS and Pro CH Pro Pedals. I can set up axis and key commands and they work in training missions, but go to a campaign or mission and sporadically TM..and even keyboard commands don't work.  Example cold start F-18 I can turn on APU and battery fire off right engine, but the throttle idle commands don't work. I even try the Windows/Home for auto start and that won't work..HELP