Stutters with RTX 3080 and Ryzen 3700x... please help

ibotyson

Heyy Guys

i hope someone can help me. I get bad stutters in DCS. With every stutter the sound lags too. I noticed that the cpu utilization drops with every stutter. No difference between singleplayer or multiplayer. I tried to lower all settings but no difference in stutters.

I disabled hotplug and game dvr.

I play only in VR and with the VR preset settings i got 80fps locked for my rift-s with no ASW.

My System:

Zotac RTX 3080

Ryzen 3700x

32gb RAM 2400MHz.

NVMe 1Tb

thank you

I don't know very much about Ryzan processors, nor the Rift side of the house, without understanding that i have some anecdotal observations:

- if your setting are locked at 80 FPS you have already done some tuning in game

- is your gfx card plugged into the right socket on the MB, usually the topmost (closest to your CPU) one, try and choose an NVME slot that does not conflict with your Gfx card

- NVMe drives, can sometimes share a PCIE lanes with your gfx card, you might need to refer to the MB manual to see if this is the case

- turn off SMT, as it can cause this sort of problem, by "switching" to a different "virtual processor" when actually you are just running on the same physical core processor

- check your CPU temps as it could be down clocking, because your cooling solution is not sufficient?

- some mods do have CPU impact, try renaming your current DCS directory in saved games, and see if that resets things?

- you asked on the other thread about memory, it can make a difference , but more likely to your CPU overall i seem to remember 3000Mhz as being the magic number for 3700x

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Here's a list of antivirus which are prone to cause stutters in DCS: MBAM, TrendMicro, BitDefender and Avast. It's important to exclude DCS main folder in your antivirus options to avoid any interference.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I installed the vr shader mod from your signature.

My m2 ssd is sharing pcie-lanes with my gpu but my cpu should have enough pcie-lanes for gpu and m2 gen3. or am i wrong?

I turned off SMT in Process lasso but it didnt help.

I tried uninstalling the gpu driver with ddu but it didnt get me any improvement.

I noticed that the stutters happen when i am flying over an area with many buildings, so maybe my RAM is too slow to load the data of the buildings?

I installed the vr shader mod from your signature.

My m2 ssd is sharing pcie-lanes with my gpu but my cpu should have enough pcie-lanes for gpu and m2 gen3. or am i wrong?

I turned off SMT in Process lasso but it didnt help.

I tried uninstalling the gpu driver with ddu but it didnt get me any improvement.

I noticed that the stutters happen when i am flying over an area with many buildings, so maybe my RAM is too slow to load the data of the buildings?

Honestly I dont know, it is always something i have aimed to avoid, as usually it drops I PCIE 3.0 x 16 to an x 8 , not sure how it works with a PCIE 4.0 .

I would turn SMT off in BIOS.

its possible that your slower ram is impacting you but as i said AMD is not my wheel house , someone else would be able to offer better advice on that.

As Taz suggested if you can see what is running that might help to see what is spiking your CPU usage?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

What map? If it's Caucasus, under /Mods/terrains/Causasus/Models/

Rename BlockBuildings folder.

It'll remove all buildings to see if it is the buildings that are causing it.

Also need to know your in-game setting and SteamVR setting.

I switched the m2 ssd to another slot but it didnt change anything.

The only thing that helped was turning off SMT in Bios. It improved overall fps and stability. With SMT on i was getting horrible fps drops over Syria (Beirut and Incirlik) at night with all the lights. It is much smoother now. Process lasso does not work at all. So thank you for your advice @speed-of-heat.

I still notice some stutters but they are not so often as bevor. So i guess SMT was the main problem.

I have the newest windows 10 update.

My Settings:

I use oculus tray tool with ASW and Pixel 1.5

In DCS i have MSAA x2 , texture high, terrain high, visible range ultra, shadows flat, trees 100%, radius to full.

Great glad its working for you try dropping the pixel density to 1.4, though you are on a 3080 so it might not make any difference ... the only other thing i can think off is dropping the radius to medium or high, you might be getting some VRAM choke

Honestly I dont know, it is always something i have aimed to avoid, as usually it drops I PCIE 3.0 x 16 to an x 8

I had this happening when i first used a PCI USB 3.0 card to overcome Oculus Rift S recognize problems. To avoid it i bought another one which uses a different PCI port. However, in the time for the card to arrive i ran a few tests to see the impact of the downgrade from PCIE 3.0x16 to 3.0x8 and much to my amazement there was none (only tested DCS though). FPS just stayed the same at 3.0x16 or 3.0x8.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

1. Make sure you install the latest drivers from AMD for the chipset/motherboard.

2. If you have a 400/500 series chipset, let the bios manage the overclock through PBO (precision boost overclock).

3. Run the RAM at 3200mhz if at all possible, or 3000 if you can’t reach 3200. Ryzen needs this at a min for best performance. Above that is diminishing returns. Below 3200 performance is degraded.

4. Make sure you have adequate cooling and power. Both the CPU and GPU will throttle if temps run high or there isn’t enough power available to hit the top boost clocks.

5. Consider running a video card driver cleaner to make sure there is nothing left over from a previous card/driver causing issues.

6. Go into “(system drive):\users\(username)\Saved Games\(DCS or DCS.OpenBeta)\” and delete the cached files in the fxo and metashader folders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1. Make sure you install the latest drivers from AMD for the chipset/motherboard.

2. If you have a 400/500 series chipset, let the bios manage the overclock through PBO (precision boost overclock).

3. Run the RAM at 3200mhz if at all possible, or 3000 if you can’t reach 3200. Ryzen needs this at a min for best performance. Above that is diminishing returns. Below 3200 performance is degraded.

4. Make sure you have adequate cooling and power. Both the CPU and GPU will throttle if temps run high or there isn’t enough power available to hit the top boost clocks.

5. Consider running a video card driver cleaner to make sure there is nothing left over from a previous card/driver causing issues.

6. Go into “(system drive):\users\(username)\Saved Games\(DCS or DCS.OpenBeta)\” and delete the cached files in the fxo and metashader folders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enabling Precision boost overdrive in BIOS seems to eliminate the stutters. thank you.

I was getting gpu and cpu drops to zero usage with every stutter according to the graph in msi afterburner. But now it doesnt happen anymore even if i switsh view with F2 in multiplayer.

i think my problem is solved.

• Like 1