Why would you NOT use ECM?

CommandT

Hey guys,

Is there any reason why one would not turn on ECM when engaged in combat? I guess both in the F-15C in DCS and just in general?

Also what affect does ECM on have on your opponents? AI are still able to lock and fire on me so I assume it's not really all that effective?

Cheers!

Just my two cents:

- It should not allow them to get a lock on you from as far as when you have it off.

- Some missiles have the capability to home in on jammer (HoJ) however, so it can be dangerous as well. I am not sure if this is modeled in DCS.

I think in real it's pretty complex stuff and probably quite classified.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

ECM only affects other FC3 aircraft (and mirage), and SAMs. Does nothing to F-14/16/18 etc. On FC3 jets, it denys the bandit a lock until 22nm; however, he can see your strobe from further away, and can HOJ (which shows the TD box, just no range info. Poor for firing missiles, but you can tell if hes conning etc). As for SAMs it just reduces tracking range afaik. Missiles can HOJ however, but its not that big of a deal as range info is missing. Simply put if either SAMs or other FC3 jets are a threat turn it on. Otherwise keep it off

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

ECM only affects other FC3 aircraft (and mirage), and SAMs. Does nothing to F-14/16/18 etc. On FC3 jets, it denys the bandit a lock until 22nm; however, he can see your strobe from further away, and can HOJ (which shows the TD box, just no range info. Poor for firing missiles, but you can tell if hes conning etc). As for SAMs it just reduces tracking range afaik. Missiles can HOJ however, but its not that big of a deal as range info is missing. Simply put if either SAMs or other FC3 jets are a threat turn it on. Otherwise keep it off

It also affects the JF-17 fyi

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

It also affects the JF-17 fyi

Good to know :thumbup:

Eagle Enthusiast, Fresco Fan. Patiently waiting for the F-15E. Clicky F-15C when?

HP Z400 Workstation

Intel Xeon W3680 (i7-980X) OC'd to 4.0 GHz, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming, 24 GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB Crucial MX500 SSD. Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS, DIY opentrack head-tracking. I upload DCS videos here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0-7L3Z5nJ-QUX5M7Dh1pGg

Another note, Su-27 shows a queue in the HUD when they are being jammed. Since you're now actively transmitting you can be noticed and hunted by bogies who before might not even knew you were there. They could just drop their radar, and using your rough bearing gotten from the jamming queue, find you on IRST without you knowing.

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

In regards to "Why not just keep it on all the time", remember that it affects your allies, too. So if you're in the lead of a group, and you turn on jamming; they're getting your jamming as well. Only aircraft that can specify forward/rear jamming like the JF-17 can keep it on constantly.

This does not affect the F-18, F-16, etc. But it does affect the F-15C and other FC3 aircraft. It's extremely annoying trying to intercept something just to have some guy not even involved in the fight blind TWS because he didn't turn his jammer off.

IIRC, the AN/AWG-9 doesn't have that capability. In the Tomcat, you have to rely on Jester and the TCS.

That's wrong. The AN/AWG-9 has an integrated IFF function and antenna to interrogate contacts. The RIO can activate it through a push button. No need for TCS to determine friend from foe.

It's also immune against jamming currently, as jamming effects aren't implemented on the F-14 yet.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg