Which module to go for !

foxonefoxtwo

Hi guys !

Glad to be a part of the forums. Fairly new to the DCS community, still working on my single player skills. Had started out this summer with the Hornet ! and boy its fun ! Lots to learn still.

My question is : I tried the MiG-21 and the F-16 this summer and absolutely loved both. Contemplating which one to buy. Wondering what you guys thought about it. I completely understand that both aircraft are different in their capabilities. The MiG-21 I like because of immense character, the delta wing and my love for old school Soviet aircraft. The F-16 on the other hand is a beast, great capability and more potent in general.

Also Looking for recommendations between Syria and the Persian Gulf maps . I did hear a sale is around the corner , so should I wait or fo full price.

Thanks for the help, and have a great one folks !

My question is : I tried the MiG-21 and the F-16 this summer and absolutely loved both. Contemplating which one to buy. Wondering what you guys thought about it.

I have both and must say that I actually enjoy more the MiG-21, but keep in mind that I mostly fly single player ... for a Multiplayer fan it may be better the F-16.

Also Looking for recommendations between Syria and the Persian Gulf maps .

Again, I have both and I find the Persian Gulf to be more enjoyable, particularly for the Hornet.

I did hear a sale is around the corner , so should I wait or fo full price.

By all means, wait a bit, the next sale is on the last week of October. It will be simultaneously on both ED and Steam stores.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Concur . The Viper and Hornet are very similar in terms of capabilities , whereas the 21 would afford a vastly different experience with steam gauges and no fbw .

I like the Syria map much better than PG because it has a greater diversity of terrain and vegetation . I also think the coastline looks better .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Appreciate all the inputs and quick responses. Have a fairly basic system at 16gigs and 1050Ti. Playing only single player - would Syria be an overkill ?

Have the same specifications (with an i5 7600 CPU) , not problem at all with medium settings. Regarding the modules... I´m in love with the Hornet, and the Mig-21 is great with a big update to come, the F-16 is in a very early stage right now, is not worth the money unless you get it on sale :p.

Mig-21 is great fun to fly

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Have the same specifications (with an i5 7600 CPU) , not problem at all with medium settings. Regarding the modules... I´m in love with the Hornet, and the Mig-21 is great with a big update to come, the F-16 is in a very early stage right now, is not worth the money unless you get it on sale :p.

ohh sounds great. Thanks

My question is : I tried the MiG-21 and the F-16 this summer and absolutely loved both. Contemplating which one to buy. Wondering what you guys thought about it. I completely understand that both aircraft are different in their capabilities. The MiG-21 I like because of immense character, the delta wing and my love for old school Soviet aircraft. The F-16 on the other hand is a beast, great capability and more potent in general.

This all depends on which of their respective attributes you favor more, if character, then I'd definitely go with the MiG-21bis. You might find mastering it, and achieving results is more rewarding than in F-16 and F/A-18, just by the virtue of it being more of a challenge. I'm definitely in love with it, not to mention the MiG-21bis is essentially feature complete, it does have a couple of issues sure, but overall it's one of the only full-fidelity aircraft in DCS that is pretty much fully feature complete. IMO I think the MiG-21bis is a better fit in general due to it's timeframe, and it already has a peer-adversary with the F-5E-3. The F-16 on the other hand doesn't really have a peer adversary of the same period.

If you want raw performance and capability + fantastic pilot-machine interface, then go with the F-16.

Also Looking for recommendations between Syria and the Persian Gulf maps . I did hear a sale is around the corner , so should I wait or fo full price.

Yeah, a sale usually hits at the end of October, if not Christmas.

Personally, I'd go with Syria over the SoH map, the SoH map so far has superior lighting (especially when it comes to airport lights (I wonder if/when they'll come to other maps), but in terms of scenarios and detail I'd have to side with Syria (though you might find that urban areas and some of the bigger airbases are taxing on hardware - which isn't a problem I have with the SoH map).

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I prefer the new Syria map. Just think its a bit more diverse.

If you like A/G, I would pick up the new A-10C II. Awesome plane, probably most complete module and the most guides available.

Its a blast to fly if you dont feel the need to break the sound barrier. :joystick:

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

What do you like more? A/A or A/G?

Why do you feel you need more than the Hornet?

Why do you feel you need to jump into every thread to express your opinion on the Hornets superlative abilities compared to every fighter plane in existence?

@ the OP: The Mig21 is an absolute joy to fly and fight it. It's very hands on and one of the "scarier" modules in the game. By "scary" I mean it literally feels like it's gonna shake into pieces around you on takeoff or landing. Great flight model, it's nowhere near the capabilities of the more modern jets but in my opinion that makes it even more fun to master.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Why do you feel you need to jump into every thread to express your opinion on the Hornets superlative abilities compared to every fighter plane in existence?

@ the OP: The Mig21 is an absolute joy to fly and fight it. It's very hands on and one of the "scarier" modules in the game. By "scary" I mean it literally feels like it's gonna shake into pieces around you on takeoff or landing. Great flight model, it's nowhere near the capabilities of the more modern jets but in my opinion that makes it even more fun to master.

I didn't express any opinion about the Hornet. I'm trying to understand how he's thinking and what he likes. That way I can suggest a plane that he will like. Not, what I own and like.

I can't remember ever pushing the Hornet. I fly the Viper. I have no idea what you're talking about but maybe you might do better to just answer the question instead of looking for an argument.

Buzz

Thanks for the remarks everybody. Appreciate it.

As for why did I get the Hornet : When starting out, I felt it was a good platform with great all round capability - Iam sticking to single player for now , so for eg : If I have been doing too much A2A, I go out there learn how to use LGB and AGM65s, Want a change? Land on a carrier. So alot of latitude with one module!

Why MiG-21 ? Biased answer but here goes : I come from a country which actively flies the MiG-21 to this date, and have seen it fly and it is SPECTACULAR. The landing with the nose high attitude, the delta planform, rudimentary russian avionics. Seems like fun ! Hence, inclined to the MiG-21.

Landing a Fish at roadbase in the arse end of nowhere remains one of the more satisfing acheivements in my meagre DCS "book of stuff I did well once". A ot more than acheiving the perfect wire in the F18. Learning to understand its nav system is another. If you can live within the basic weaponry and limited payloads its a lot of fun to get even halfway competant in........and you get to pop chutes.

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.